>>Thread of Uncommon Questions<<

Is the Thread of Uncommon Questions useful?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Welcome to the Thread of Uncommon Questions.

I hope that those who know will help answer the questions. The answers will be posted below the questions in Italic and names of people who answered in Bold. I will +Rep too, for your reassurance :D

I know that there will be off-topic questions, but for the sake for us noobies, I do hope moderators will close an eye and let this slide.
I will gladly accept other users' questions and will have a few rules though...

Alright, so here goes. :thup:

QUESTIONS:
1) How is it that people know all the stuffs like JASS before a tutorial is actually posted? I mean, well, many people learn them from tuts, but what about the people who wrote tuts?
Answer: Much of it is available by making a normal GUI trigger in the editor and then choosing Edit > Convert to custom script. The rest is documented in common.j (for natives) and Blizzard.j (for GUI equivalencies), found by decompressing the game's data MPQ files. The rest is from experimentation and user insight.By:Weep

2) How to change the text written below our name in this website like the "Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!"
Answer: I believe that ability is bestowed upon having earned a certain amount of rep (100, IIRC). By:Weep

3) How do get Warcraft III Listfiles without downloading it (Getting it by self)?
Answer: hook sfopenachiveex* function call of storm.dll and log data passed to this function call (c++) this will let you to get any files warcraft try to read from archives.

process (get any path to any data from slk or text files) to get information on game objects.

using both methods and running warcraft over some time allow to get every file used, ever if you dont have anything to start from.
By:DioD

4) What are Warcraft III Listfiles?
Answer: Listfile is hashindex of content for MPQ archive.
Standard archives have listfiles included. Listfiles are used for things such as "Unprotection of maps (Not supported in The Helper)", "Opening War3Patch.mpq to look for useful icons, models, etc.", and more.
By:DioD (Edited by: xPass-> Cause' DioD says it's only for unprotection, which I don't agree at all.)

I guess that's all for now. Do answer the questions :D:D

----Edit----
Whoops, I'll put links to my new questions... Just remembered a forum rule lol.

I think I'll just repost all these questions in the new thread if there ever is one. Is that fine? :D

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
simple answer, NO
why?

1. what you want is to compress the whole subforum into 1 thread
there are millions of different questions and this thread would soon become over cluttered
2. to a single question there could be several answers, which may all be particullary true
3. we have that wonderful Search button

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Ooh, I got one.
Why does no one read this thread?

Here's the deal. You may ask more than one question in a single thread. But DO NOT ADD MORE QUESTIONS LATER! I.E. no more "User's Question Thread". They are unwieldy and very hard to follow. Start a new thread when you have new questions.

DioD

Reaction score
3) hook sfopenachiveex* function call of storm.dll and log data passed to this function call (c++) this will let you to get any files warcraft try to read from archives.

process (get any path to any data from slk or text files) to get information on game objects.

using both methods and running warcraft over some time allow to get every file used, ever if you dont have anything to start from.

4) you can open patch.mpq with war3x.mpq listfile, it will leave unknown names only for new heroes.

thread is useless, answer is NO.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Fine, fine... Don't have to be so serious man... By the way, I read the thread after I posted this thread, so okay, alright, no right? Alright, moderators pls lock this thread, it's useless...

P.S sorry about it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.