To die or to live?

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Lets say you were in love with some one and had kids. In the event that one of you have to die who should it be?

Would you die for the one you love?
Would let the love of your life die?

Lets think. If you die than your love would have to live with that pain and sorrow of your death. Now if the person you love died you would have to live with that sorrow. Every mothers/fathers day you will be in pain because of your kids.

This is all under the terms that you don't re-marry.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'd die for my lover. If I go on and marry a woman of the Christian faith, then I will be positive that she'll carry on without me. Christians are pretty cool like that.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
Honestly, I've always lived under the principle of "a bullet in me is better than a bullet in the innocent." I think that in the absolute heat of the moment, I'd be inclined to throw myself before my love regardless.
With more time to think about it, I think I'd still choose that path. ('course, I'm engaged, so my feelings are already true to my lady) We've never talked about the scenario, but I think that she would know that we'd come to that decision together. She's hot... she'd remarry for the money...

Reaction score
I think that in the absolute heat of the moment, I'd be inclined to throw myself before my love regardless.

I doubt this. As pressure increases, people become much more concerned about themselves and their own survival and less concerned about others and theirs.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I doubt this. As pressure increases, people become much more concerned about themselves and their own survival and less concerned about others and theirs.

I've seen a lot of acts of the exact opposite of this in my life. Maybe it's true for you, but from my experiences people tend to have a great amount of heroism when it comes down to saving others.

I would imagine that I would die before someone could do anything to my fiance.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I don't love someone now, but honestly, I'd probably save myself. I don't have guilt nor remorse, so I don't think it would bother me every mother's day.

And it IS too opinionated, not possible for debate. For a debate, you need facts. This is more of a poll...

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Who said it was a debate? This is just a discussion of what people would do... a hypothetical question if you will.

Esb I don't want to sound rude or mean, but have you ever had a girlfriend or someone who you really cared about? There are about 6 people right now that I care enough about to take a bullet for them. I know sounds like a very small amount of people, but I am usually really heartless.

The only THING I MIGHT take a bullet for is my instrument. Fifteen years of hard work makes you pretty attached to something you love to hate.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Who said it was a debate? This is just a discussion of what people would do... a hypothetical question if you will.

Esb I don't want to sound rude or mean, but have you ever had a girlfriend or someone who you really cared about? There are about 6 people right now that I care enough about to take a bullet for them. I know sounds like a very small amount of people, but I am usually really heartless.

The only THING I MIGHT take a bullet for is my instrument. Fifteen years of hard work makes you pretty attached to something you love to hate.

Read the title.

esb

Reaction score
Yes, I have had girlfriends, and but never fallen in love like "omg omg !!! I want to live with you forevarz!" (sorry for the exaggeration) and which is likely why I said what I said. I'm a selfish person. And honestly, if I was the only income of my family (wife and kids) then how would she make a living? Marry some random guy with money and make her life miserable? and the kids? I have an aunt who's husband died. He was like the perfect person, he was nice, judged no one, caring, patient, etc. He had some disease (forgot what it was) he had to get blood transfusions 3 times a week (not exactly transfusions but something like that). The doctor found something in his stomach, but told him not to worry about it. That 'nothing to worry about' killed him a few weeks later.
If it hadn't been for his life insurance, my aunt and her two kids would be in the streets (probably living with a relative though) and pretty much with no income. My aunt bought an 'economic' house about an hour away from her old house. She's almost out of money from the health insurance and needs to find a new way of income. She hasn't worked or anything, so it might be hard.

I'm not asking for pity or anything, for those of you thinking that. It's just that she could suffer more without the guy. Also, at the moment something happens, one may be in shock, not react, or simply not have the balls to do it.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I was just wandering. Like if you took a bullet for some one. Would that person be really sad and in sorrow for the rest of your life? If you cared about them would you put that on them? or would you let them die so you have to live with that pain.

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of acts of the exact opposite of this in my life. Maybe it's true for you, but from my experiences people tend to have a great amount of heroism when it comes down to saving others.

Some extreme circumstances may admit exception, but as a general heuristic it is perfectly accurate. In fact, you can see an example of the relationship between selfish behavior and stress almost every other day, if you look hard enough.

The more vulnerable, frightened, frustrated or anxious someone is, the less patient, generous or trusting they will be towards others, and the more they will look out for themselves over others. This applies to both short term situational stresses and prolonged states of distress. It is true that the dynamic is very different for people in a shared experience, especially when there is a strong relationship involved, but it is no matter. The survival instinct is so fundamental that it takes significant forethought for a person to be able to kill themselves, even to save a loved one.

esb

Reaction score
The more vulnerable, frightened, frustrated or anxious someone is, the less patient, generous or trusting they will be towards others, and the more they will look out for themselves over others.
I 100% disagree with that. I feel invulnerable, not physically, but I don't care what others think about me or say to me etc. I'm not frightened... nor frustrated or anxious. I'm good with friends and I trust everyone unless they've really made a BIG lie (that caused me some trouble) which is one or two. Even though It's true I look more for myself over anyone else.

The big question is, how much can we relate to this? When we're at the spot, our actions may be totally different. Also, like myself, I've obviously never loved someone enough to the point of wanting to marry her, let alone die.
Chao here does love someone, and so because he knows his feelings, he knows what he will do. I don't love someone as much, and because I don't know exactly my feelings, I know I wouldn't die.

Risk my life, yes, directly go and pretty much say "shoot me instead of her", no.

Reaction score
I 100% disagree with that. I feel invulnerable, not physically, but I don't care what others think about me or say to me etc. I'm not frightened... nor frustrated or anxious. I'm good with friends and I trust everyone unless they've really made a BIG lie (that caused me some trouble) which is one or two. Even though It's true I look more for myself over anyone else.

What I am saying does not conflict with what you are saying, so I don't see the problem.

The big question is, how much can we relate to this? When we're at the spot, our actions may be totally different. Also, like myself, I've obviously never loved someone enough to the point of wanting to marry her, let alone die.

The difficulty with this hypothetical scenario is that it can not be related to because it is not happening. This is why any approach based on personal feeling or intuition is doomed to failure. It is easy for someone to contemplate and truly believe that they would sacrifice themselves for another, but if the situation did arise they may find themselves unable to.

esb

Reaction score
I just found what you said disagree able. Not everyone frustrated, vulnerable, etc. is a bad friend. And it does comflict, because I'm the opposite of what you discribed, yet i look out after myself first.

And I agree on the second part of your last post :)

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
TheDamien has a point, many say they will do something but at Gun point the chances are you will have to debate with yourself to decide what to do. Even the bravest, and more couragest people are afraid of death when it looks at you in the face.

Though, it doesn't mean you won't do it; but right now your sitting at home (or where ever) not worried about death at all. So the situation can completely change...

My Actions, I am not entirely sure because I don't know what I will do in that situation speaking I have never been in love before...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
In fact, you can see an example of the relationship between selfish behavior and stress almost every other day, if you look hard enough.

And because of this, we must apply the idealism to everyone at all times?

Even the bravest, and more couragest people are afraid of death when it looks at you in the face.

I disagree, however I accept that the majority of the time I've been in these kinds of situations I wasn't with average people who suddenly had a gun pointed at them.

Though, it doesn't mean you won't do it; but right now your sitting at home (or where ever) not worried about death at all. So the situation can completely change...

I apparently don't have the same thought process as everyone else.

Reaction score
And because of this, we must apply the idealism to everyone at all times?

For some situations it is universally applicable, but in this case we can safely apply it to anyone at any given time with little chance of error.

esb

Reaction score
Well.. what are the chances of anyone one of us ever being in this situation?

Reaction score
I already told my gf Id die for her if in some certain situation. I got a "aww thats so cute" So yeah ill give my life up for her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.