too many doodads, how to solve it now?

Rommel

Reaction score
Ok, i took 4 days without sleeping to draw terrain for my RPG Project, Neverwinter Nights..
After finishing, i was eager to test it..but..Oops..The map lags so much..
I tried to reduce the number of doodads, from 26.000 to 22.000, but that can not solve my problem..hu hum what should i do now, dont tell me t must abandon my map...:banghead:

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Use units, instead of doodads (and make them look like doodads).
Then you can add and remove them with triggers.

Make big regions that spawns X doodads/units and removes them when the players enter/leave these regions.
Not sure how your map is formed. (If a player can move anywhere they please, or if they have to beat certain levels.) -If it's the latter, this technique might help..

Also, I don't think doodads will create any lag (or maybe very, very little). -Check your triggers for leaks, to begin with!

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
That's way too many doodads for your map and no doubt it's going to lag, you know guys even too many doodads/units placed or created can make games lag heavily, that's a fact. Because, the limit for destructibles is 6144 and the limit of doodads in your map is 8192 and if you add that, 14,338 doodads and destructibles. I don't know if that's the cause but you said that you've got 22000 doodads and it's beyond the limit.

I've never played a map with that much doodads.

One cause of lag is leaks so try removing all leaks from your triggers.

Rommel

Reaction score
Thanks, my friends...but I have just finished the terrain, just terrain, so no leaks from triggers im sure...Maybe i should delete it and start from scratch, but i still hope someone can help me out with the doodads probelm///:thup:

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
you can remove the limit with using Jass Newgen pack. but it will lag if you play the game, the limit isnt there just for fun.

Septimus

Reaction score
Your map would be extremely lag due to high amount of doodad and destructible. If you add trigger, it would make it even harder to play due to the lag.

Off Topic : I can't believe you did't sleep for 4 days. If you said 2 days I still believe it. :p

Sajberhippie

Reaction score
Another option is just trying to delete some more. Any large forest can have a huge mountain in the middle :) I don't know if the PC's are gonna have flying abilities, but otherwise, they won't ever see it anyway :)

Rommel

Reaction score
Thanks for your help,...I will try both solution u suggested, now i have somw other questions:
-How can i apply fog affect to my map? I tried with both preference and triggers but it do not perform as i wished. In this case, i just got a whole white screen or slight color based effect. (I do not understand this trigger clearly). What i want is a white fog (maybe like Silent Hill?)
-How to make my map midnight all time?
-How about the Game Preload action? what does it do? can it be triggered at map ini?
-Do u know any system that can make your henchmen uncontrollable? like the system for pet here?
-Thanks in advance

Offtopic: Septimus - yes, indeed, no lies here :D

Septimus

Reaction score
To Rommel : Well, I can answer few of your question. A single picture is worth a thousand word.

32255252lu3.jpg

25895339cr7.jpg

86419697vn6.jpg

Andyoyo

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Just avoid imports, custom sounds, trigger leaks & custom loading screens as much as you can. They suck up a lot of memory size & lag for a map.

joaoac

Reaction score
I'm working on a terrain for a 256 x 256 RPG map. It's 50% done.
Dude, I know that is absolutly possible to eliminate unecessary doodads.
Can't believe you lost 3 nights asleep to do this.
I think what you need is a rest! :thup:
Then, you ll see your map with other eyes and will notice where you need to remove those so much extra doodads.

Tree blocks on forests can have mountains in the middle, like said before.
Also you can manualy remove doodads activating the Pahting vision (P) and leaving only those doodads needed to block the path.

Also, you can go drift deleting.
(i don't know how to say this in english, so I'll draw - look the picture)
Imagine it for trees or rocks, for exemple.
Look that he path continues blocked, but you deleted unecessary inbetween doodads.
I always do this method to reduce the doodad number. It takes some time, off course (but not 3 nights asleep, lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.