Top Bands of 2008

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
This is a list of my favorite bands of the past year and a brief discussion on why I like them. Enjoy!

10) Symphony X - Paradise Lost - www.myspace.com/officialsymphonyx

This band is basically Progressive Metal with Power Metal and Symphonic Metal mixed in. Also a lot like Dream Theater. Either way this music is really rocking and they have some amazing choruses. They are also the only band I like that mixes Symphonic Metal to the rest of their songs, so they're lucky hahaha. Give these guys a listen and see what you think.

Also, this is the only metal band on my Macbook so I listened to them a lot over the school year.... boo 80GB HD!

9) Grizzly Bear - Yellow House - www.myspace.com/grizzlybear

The band I discovered before I listened to Animal Collective. They're a good band. I suggest checking them out at some point. Oh, and I just saw an Ad for Grizzly Bear and Final Fantasy at Brooklyn Academy of Music. Sounds interesting.

8) Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Angels - www.myspace.com/lesacvspip

I know! I listen to a hiphop band! I must be insane! Actually this is the ONLY hiphop band I like, and that's mostly because they rant about intellectualism and so on in their songs. Check 'em out.

7) Opeth - Ghost Reveries - www.myspace.com/opeth

A Progressive band which has a very different style from Dream Theater. They're great musically and have great music. Also the lead singer is great switching between Growling and singing. He has a great voice hahaha. Listen to Ghost of Perdition if you want to rock out... I think it's one of their best songs. However, they have like 20 albums so I don't have an extensive knowledge of their musical repertoire.

6) Sigur Ros - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust - www.myspace.com/sigurros

A nice chill band from Iceland. They have really calming music while still being amazing and awesome. They're just enjoyable to listen to while still just being relaxing. They also have various styles so it's not all necessarily space rock. But it's good stuff. Oh, and yes I had to copy and paste that music title from their site.

5) Dream Theater - Chaos in Motion - http://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater

This band is essential progressive metal in every form. Their early music is totally awesome, with amazingly awesome melodies and just essentially rocks. However, what makes them lower than other bands is the fact that their most recent album is just.... unrecognizable. The songs don't stick in the head the same way the older songs do. While they have a ridiculous 45 minute piece (split into two tracks), it just lacks the melody and feeling of older DT. As one friend says, "they write too many notes." I'm actually inclined to agree with this as the band just has 50 million notes that don't really measure up to anything conclusive. However they are still amazing players and have great ensemble playing so they'd need to release a few more crappy albums before I start to dislike this band.

4) Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet - http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

Porcupine Tree is awesome. Steven Wilson is the mastermind behind this band, and I have yet to come across a weak album or song. Everything just works. I'm getting tired of trying to write extensive opinionated analysis of bands so just trust me and try these guys. Thanks.

3) Thinking Plague - A History of Madness - http://www.myspace.com/thinkingplaguemusic

This is a weird band. Most likely if any of you check this band out, you'll think I'm crazy, nuts, psychotic, or high. I am none of these.... well maybe crazy... Anyways, this band uses whole tone scales, modal mixture, minimalism, and all sorts of craziness. Also, the closer you listen to this band the more complex it becomes.

This band isn't something you would casually listen too... well I do but that's me. Point being, expect weirdness and awesomeness.

2) Animal Collective - Meriwether Post Pavilion - http://www.myspace.com/animalcollectivetheband

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY ANIMAL COLLECTIVE ALBUM LEAKED YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY.

This basically sums up the excitement of this band. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be unhappy when listening to this band. Even if your really angry you start and suddenly a euphoric dream bounces through your brains and suddenly your bouncing around in a happy state. Trust me, it's possible to go from depressed to bouncing off the walls happily in 5 seconds... except it's better than that. They also have some chill songs too though they're pretty nuts... One of the things I really like about this band is how they're music is so complex rhythmically while still having a simple and catchy tune, so you can enjoy the complexity of the music or you can enjoy the.... joy... of the music. Either way this band is awesome.

1) Bubblemath - Such Fine Particles of the Universe - http://www.myspace.com/bubblemath

They are a very unique band using various chromatic/jazz elements combined with a small group. Essentially they're like ADD kids that switch musical styles every 30 seconds. By far some of the best ensemble playing and have very interesting compositional styles thrown in. They smoothly transition between various melodies in the pieces. Basically these guys are hyperactive and full of unpredictable chord changes and I love them.

This band introduced me into more "art rock" styles as well as indie, and their music is very creative. I placed this band first mostly because of how it influenced me into other styles of music, not necessarily because it is my favorite, though I do like this band a lot.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Eh... I don't know a single one of those bands. :D

But I shall listen to them for the first time today. :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Lord_Phoenix

Dogs are fuzzy
Reaction score
Basically they're all progressive, indie, or space rock, though thinking plague is basically art rock.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I've heard of a few
And its funny right before I read this I found and started downloading some Symphony X

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Eh... I don't know a single one of those bands. :D

But I shall listen to them for the first time today. :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

It's okay, you are not alone..

Hmm, usually my favorite bands are bands like Third Day and Starfield. I see none of in common (I think, well, its assumption so I don't really have a right to judge =P)

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Portishead released a new album in 2008. What about them? :p

Also O.O at people in this thread not having heard Animal Collective or Sigur Ros.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Basically they're all progressive, indie, or space rock, though thinking plague is basically art rock.

The general thought nowadays is that "Art-Rock" doesn't actually exist. Art-Rock now = Either Symphonic Progressive Rock, or Eclectic Progressive Rock.

EDIT: I know all of the bands you have mentioned, although I have only heard an album of about half of them.

My favourite new album from 2008 is "Sleeping in Traffic: Part 2" by BEARDFISH its crazy stuff...

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.