Unit upgrading and Item triggers

hopy

Reaction score
Only 3 questions today xD

Question 1: Fixed, thank you :)
I made a trigger thats supposed to work just like the Shadow Orb from the 4th or 5th Nightelf Frozen Throne Campain map ...

Basicly its ment to Give you a Shadow Orb+1 / Shadow Orb+2 / Shadow Orb+3 etc etc when ever you pick up a Shadow Fragment.

What I got so far is:
Trigger:
  • Shadow Orb
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • SO_Integer[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] Less than 10
    • Actions
      • Set SO_Integer[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (SO_Integer[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] + 1)
      • Set SO_Item[1] = Shadow Orb +1
      • Set SO_Item[2] = Shadow Orb +2
      • Set SO_Item[3] = Shadow Orb +3
      • Set SO_Item[4] = Shadow Orb +4
      • Set SO_Item[5] = Shadow Orb +5
      • Set SO_Item[6] = Shadow Orb +6
      • Set SO_Item[7] = Shadow Orb +7
      • Set SO_Item[8] = Shadow Orb +8
      • Set SO_Item[9] = Shadow Orb +9
      • Set SO_Item[10] = Shadow Orb +10
      • Set Point = (Center of Start Lokation <gen>)
      • Item - Remove SO_Current[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]
      • Item - Create SO_Item[SO_Integer[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]] at Point
      • Hero - Give (Last created item) to (Triggering unit)
      • Set SO_Current[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Last created item)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_Point)

So far I think the trigger should be ok. (exept that I think the "create Item", "add item to hero" should be done in a better done way xD)

What I still miss is the condition that does something like "Picked up item is Shadow Fragment equal to true.
I have been searching for a option like that for about an hour ... and came up with 3 options:
1. I need some sleep cause I missed it afther about an hour of searching.
2. It doesnt exist and Blizzard cheated in the Campain map with the Shadow Orb.
3. Theres some evil secret way of doing stuff like that ...

Question 2: Still need help
I have been trying to make a unit that can upgrade itself for Gold to get stronger. Just like the Scout Tower upgrading to Cannon Tower and stuff. I noticed its only posible for buildings to upgrade like that ... and I was wondering if someone knows a way for units to upgrade like that.

Also, if theres no way to do that without 5 triggers, if Id make a building with the same models, sounds, movement speeds etc etc as the unit and add the upgrade to him so it can upgrade without anyone noticing its actualy a building in disguise.

Question 3: Fixed, thank you :)
Now my final and last question for today: In a good map whats the best learn/research description for hero abilitys (when not learned yet):

Option 1:
"The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for a short duration. |n|n|cffffcc00Duration increase with levels.|r"

This looks more beautifull and proffesional to my oppinion, the down side is ... you cant see exactly how strong the ability is and how much its worth upgrading.

Option 2:
"The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for 10/14/18 seconds. And how much do you care."

In this version you can see how much it will increase on upgrade but it looks all ugly ...
(Afther you learned the ability you can see its 10 seconds in option 1, just not when spending ability points to upgrade your ability.)
Your oppinions on this one please :)

Could someone help me please?
+rep if helped with something and thank you in advance.
And let me know if something is unclear somehow and I will try to explain it more clearly for you, explaining my idea's were never my strongest point.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Tome of Experience
    • Actions
      • Hero - Create Tome of Experience and give it to (Hero manipulating item)

Item Type comparison
Hero Action ^^

2) Why not use the berserker upgrade that the orcs have?

3) Use both together, and make sure you write active/passive abilities, as it is sometimes very helpful for new players ^^

Both together?
"The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for 10 seconds. |n|n|cffffcc00Duration increases by 4 each level.|r". Mix and match, and use different colours where the text is important. ^^

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Now my final and last question for today: In a good map whats the best learn/research description for hero abilitys (when not learned yet):
I like patterning it after Blizzard's own descriptions:

The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for a short duration. |n|n|cffffcc00Level 1|r - Lasts 10 seconds. |n|cffffcc00Level 2|r - Lasts 14 seconds. |n|cffffcc00Level 3|r - Lasts 18 seconds.

hopy

Reaction score
First of all thank you for your help :)

Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Tome of Experience
    • Actions
      • Hero - Create Tome of Experience and give it to (Hero manipulating item)

Item Type comparison
Hero Action ^^

:O Yay xD Thank you very much :) Seems I did read over them :p
Even though it doesnt suprise me I didnt consider "Item being manipulated" to have the effect I was looking for :p knowing me I scanned the list like always going "no" "no" "no" at every option that doenst say something like "Item type of Picked up item" or something :D.
Thank you :)

2) Why not use the berserker upgrade that the orcs have?
Because the unit is supposed to be able to upgrade to about 3 different types so it would cause bugs, and I want it to have a gold cost and preferable a upgrading time.

3) Use both together, and make sure you write active/passive abilities, as it is sometimes very helpful for new players ^^
Will do that :) never came up with that idea :p

I like patterning it after Blizzard's own descriptions:

The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for a short duration. |n|n|cffffcc00Level 1|r - Lasts 10 seconds. |n|cffffcc00Level 2|r - Lasts 14 seconds. |n|cffffcc00Level 3|r - Lasts 18 seconds.

My ability's have 5 levels and I can remember having trouble with space avalable in the description area in the object editor ... :p

+rep Nenad :)

Finestdeath

Reaction score
For question 3:
Do something like this:

The hero creates an impenetrable shield surrounds him, protecting the hero from all damage and spells for a short duration.

Duration (Secs): 10/12/14

Then maybe have the "duration (secs)" part be some colored text so that when people see your abilities, they know which are the description and which are the important info to note. Not my idea though, been playing some RPGs and abit of DotA and found it quite useful.

Or you can do this.

Duration (Secs): 10 + (2 Per level)

Abit uglier but its useful if you have like 50 levels in one ability.

hopy

Reaction score
For question 3:
Do something like this:

Duration (Secs): 10/12/14

Or you can do this.

Duration (Secs): 10 + (2 Per level)

Perfect ... makes me wonder why I didnt think of it since I have seen it in other maps like that befor :O
Thank you :) per+

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.