unreadable CD-key and uninstalled program

U

Unregistered

Is there a way to figure out the CD-key of a disk for DiabloII:LOD if you've uninstalled the game from your computer?

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
No. CDs are all the same, they aren't attached to the CD-Key, which means you can use any CD-Key on any CD. So, if the game is uninstalled and you lost the CD-Key, you either buy the game again or get a replacement from Blizzard, which costs 10$. Check here

U

Unregistered

Thanks for answering my question. I have a small followup qustion from your answer. So if all the CDs are the same and not associated with any particular CD-key, what makes the installation of the program keycode specific? Or if it isn't keycode specific, what keeps people from entering random 16-digit codes until it lets them install the program?

Thanks again for your prompt answer.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The game has an algorithm (think of it like a series of math equations that it keeps verifying the key against) and all valid keys are designed to match the algorithm.

Then Battle.net maintains an actual list of keys that have been issued to copies of the game that get shipped. (They update the list each time they release a new batch to the distributor, I guess.)

There are programs "out there" that can generated cd keys that will let you install the game. They figured out how to match the algorithm.

But these "generated" keys almost never work on battle.net because they aren't on the list. The mathematical odds of generating a key that happens to be on the list is very small. Only a few million copies of the game have been sold (maybe) but this is nowhere near the total number of possible keys.

U

Unregistered

Thank you again for the quick response. I was just entering in random codes to try to install my game as I can read all the CD-key digits except for about 4 or 5 in the middle. Since the program is actually an equation that checks the code, it wouldn't have done me any good to be able to install it with an incorrect code.

As a final question about this subject, I was wondering if it is possible to get my LoD CD-key from my old battle.net character save files on my hard drive that were not erased when I originally uninstalled the game from my computer. Isn't there anything in those files that might give me a hint to the CD-key, as they must have been associated with my battle.net account?

Again, this has been a really great forum and thank you all for your help.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Nope, sorry. The CD-Key is stored in one of the .mpq (not sure which one), which are large archives of the game's data files. Unless they are still around, you are out of luck for recovering your CD-Key.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.