Weird Problem

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Hello! I reformated my comp not long ago, and when I check how much empty space I have, it says I have filled about 130 GB. And have 105 GB free. Now this is strange, because I have only used about 10 gig space, so the comp still sees me having things, but I don't. I tried defrag my comp, but nothing happened. Then it showed something like.
"Some files could not be moved.

List of files:
Empty space"

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
What do you have? Any external harddrives or something like that?
Maybe they are Hidden Files (Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders)

That happened to a friend of mine, who knows what it was.
You can also do the following:
Open up the Hard Drive Disk (in the computer...) and go folder by folder checking the properties for the file size.

For example:
C:/Program Files = About 4 GB, not this one
C:/Documents and Settings = About 5GB, so it can't be this one.
C:/Random Foler = 120GB hmm what's inside?

until you find the one with 120Gb, then you can delete it.

Cornface

Reaction score
System restore had 12% of my 233 gig, which is about 46 gig which I guess can be lowered a bit. But it still doesn't explain the about 50 gig that's left. And oh, did my comp safe this files somewhere, or is it just plain nothing that takes space?

And I checked every hidden file and nothing. When I calculated the ammount of stuff it was about 20 gig.

Cornface

Reaction score
Bump.

I have not yet found a solution to what cause this problem. I only have about 50 gig free space left now, and only about 70 used. So I should have 160 gig free, but oh no, it's 50. I am begin to suspect a virus, anyone know any good, secure free virus scanners?

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> any good, secure free virus scanners?
Try this online scan.

But before that...get EasyCleaner and press the Space usage button in it. Then select the drive and press Find. That should tell you which folder takes the most space etc.

Rad

Reaction score
Maybe something went wrong with your partition on the harddrive (which might be what FireWarrior was hinting at).

You should try going to Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc and examine your partitions. WARNING: Do not modify your primary partition (listed in purple).

If you have any free space on your disk (listed in green) you can either make a new partition (right click -> New logical drive with a new drive letter, use NTFS). Or, you can get Partition Magic and use the partition merge feature.

I have not tried Partition magic yet, though.

If this helps or solves the problem, you should thank enouwee and/or rapmaster

:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.