What are / were Starcraft maps like?

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
'just curious.

I've never played Starcraft before.. melee or custom.

but what are sc maps like?

i mean, theme-wise.. I imagine everything to be tech/future themed little mini-games like td's, ctf's and such..

it seems to me like Warcraft was more open to more 'themes' because I imagine that Starcraft is stuck to the "Futuristic/Tech" theme.

(or maybe just because the WE was more powerful and more popular...)

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Starcraft in general is mixed. With the theme of Space Platform and the other hi-techy looking theme, the rest is planets. The planets are just some what like Warcraft including: (A jungle theme, fire world theme, ice world theme, etc.)

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
Mostly TDs, RPGs, Mazes, Mass units, Cat vs Mouse

Know that Sc editor was much more limited than War3. War3 has levelable units, able to carry items, and much more custom things that sc editor doesn't

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
it seems to me like Warcraft was more open to more 'themes' because I imagine that Starcraft is stuck to the "Futuristic/Tech" theme.
Actually, funnily enough, LotR-themed maps, in particular helms deep ones, have at times been fairly popular in BW. There was actually an entire map genre in SC called 'LotR' which was an rts form where each player starts with a set number of bases that spawned a certain set of units each interval. As the name implies, most of these maps were LotR themed (Siege of Gondor in particular seems to have been the first map of the genre which had a long reign of being extremely popular).

A lot of these of course were utter trash, but it's surprising how well dudes with guns could function as "Archers" under a skilled mapper.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
There's a new wave recently On ICCUP called 20k (insert unit) defense.

Basically it's like 300 but with 11 players. (Need full house.)

Speaking of which International Cyber Cup or "ICCUP" league maps tend to revolve around having your resource nodes placed approximately around the map's boundaries like a clock face while some league maps having one or two mega expansions (Base locations with 2 bases worth of minerals and 2 geysers) in the middle.Most of these maps also featured destructible objects which blocked certain pathways and decreased the size of the player's base entrance depending on which map..Also the "Zero amount" minerals stacked at some places which have to be mined by your workers to be cleared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.