What virus is this?

R

Ronis

It's a red circle with a white X in the center of it. And it shows up in the bottom right near the time. Thanks in advance.

Q

quiggyboat

the...exit program virus..?

not sure, but are you sure it's even a virus? not like, an update to a program in your system or something? even a program toolbar shortcut?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That place next to the time is your system tray and it shows some of the programs that are running on your computer. If you click the icon the associated program should pop up. Or you should be able to right click it and disable it.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
Show a screen shot with your mouse hovered over it and the text it displays. It could be the newer spyware called "SpyAxe" that's going around.

Negafox

Friend of TheHelper.net
Reaction score
It may be Norton has others have mentioned. There are a few known spyware that can pretend to be anti-spyware such as SpySheriff. However, SpySheriff is a nasty piece of a work that makes its presence known almost immediately since it disables the Task Manager, alters the background wallpaper, and blocks all downloads so the user cannot obtain anti-spyware software.

My bet would be on Norton as sqrage mentioned.

R

Ronis

Sorry for the late reply. New Year's and all. Anyway, thanks for the replies. The URL for a screenshot of the bottom right of my sister's PC is at the end of my post. There are two of them and if I Ctrl+Alt+Delete and close a program called "D", one of them closes when I hover over again. Also, when I tried to scan with Norton, it takes 40 minutes to scan through 4 files and doesn't even reach 1% so I just stopped it. It also won't allow her to connect online. We still use dialup and will update eventually but not soon. If there is anything I can do or any other info you guys need to try and help me, please tell me and I'll do my best. Thanks again.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b158/rithison/desktop.jpg

Negafox

Friend of TheHelper.net
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like one of the spyware/Trojan variants circulating such as SpySheriff. SpyBot: Search & Destroy can partially remove the Trojan and spyware. AdAware and Microsoft Antispyware cannot detect and/or fully remove the spyware last I checked.

The Trojan does not properly hijack all User accounts, so you should be able to easily log into an alternate User account to remove all traces from the Registry and hard drive.

R

Ronis

The Trojan does not properly hijack all User accounts, so you should be able to easily log into an alternate User account to remove all traces from the Registry and hard drive.

How exactly can I do this? Spybot seems to work, but I want to completely remove all of it.

My sister's PC also have another problem. I want to go online and use trendmicro for a scan, but the dial-up connection won't work. We use People PC and if we try using it through the program, it says Dial-up networking error: The port is already open. If I try making a new connection with the same numbers, password, username, etc., I get something like:

Dial-up Networking was unable to complete the connection.

Error 602:

The modem is being used by another Dial-up Networking Connection.
Close the connection, and then try again.

Then I try it with the phone line disconnected from the phone jack and I get the same error message. Any help?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.