Why does time seem to fly so fast?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
di-6ELQ.jpg
And sometimes, time seems to go slow?
Well, so how come in our minds, time may go so much slower or faster? Does It really happen in real?
What do you think?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Because it changes depending on the velocity of the Earth (faster it's moving, the slower time is, slower it moves the faster time is). At times, the planet slows down and speeds up due to several factors, like reaching the apex of the orbit or because of solar flares from the sun that temporarily cause a disruption in the apparent mass. Didn't you go to school?

FireCat

Reaction score
eh? But time itself doesn't actually go faster or slower. Right?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I even have proof that time slows very much, and yet we feel as if it went pass very fast. Hardly do threads get viewed by the thousands within half a day in the General Discussion forums, you know?

Ah5kQ.png

FireCat

Reaction score
^
Yes, I even have proof that time slows very much, and yet we feel as if it went pass very fast. Hardly do threads get viewed by the thousands within half a day in the General Discussion forums, you know?
Hahahahahahaha It's so obvious that its fake. LOL

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Because it changes depending on the velocity of the Earth (faster it's moving, the slower time is, slower it moves the faster time is). At times, the planet slows down and speeds up due to several factors, like reaching the apex of the orbit or because of solar flares from the sun that temporarily cause a disruption in the apparent mass. Didn't you go to school?
OH MY GOODNESS... I just realised this must happen every time I'm doing something I don't want to do :D
eh? But time itself doesn't actually go faster or slower. Right?
Time isn't a constant, it's relative. They've already sent people up in to space for this reason and when they come back they do a test to determine their atomic age, or something like that, and it shows they've aged slower than someone on earth. It's only by a few ms, or even maybe half a second, but still...

Varine

Reaction score
Yes. That is why we have space programs. Although we sometimes accomplish other things, the primary purpose of their missions is to work on increasing the longevity.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Time is relevant. The only reason we even have a idea of the concept of time is because of memories. If you don't remember a whole day or like when they sedate you at the doctors, it's as if it never happened. So if you are someone who pays attention to everything around you and does a lot of stuff with your time, you are going to feel as if time creeps by slowly because when thinking back on the past, you're going to have more memories in that time frame. If you go through life not really caring about stuff going on around you, or just wasting away doing stuff like video games, time is going to seem like it's flying by. This is because when you look back at how you spent your time, all you did was play video games. So your thought process goes "I only did 1 thing in all that time...", whereas if you were to go out and do stuff, you have way more events to remember.

On my days off, I get out and go to parks and walk around, explore new places, go places with friends, and just stay busy in general. Then at the end of the week when I'm working and thinking back on the past week, when I remember doing all that stuff, it makes it seem like I had much more time to spend than my normal 3 or 4 days off from work.

I have no idea on the actual "workings of time", but in the explaining of "time moving slowly" or "time flying by", thats all relative to the person looking back on the past.
This is just how I feel on this, I'm not claiming any of this as fact. But this is how I've always looked at it, and I in no way feel time seems to fly so fast. In the past year, I have done what feels like 3 years of activities and events. It's all in how you look at things.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
Time is relevant. The only reason we even have a idea of the concept of time is because of memories. If you don't remember a whole day or like when they sedate you at the doctors, it's as if it never happened. So if you are someone who pays attention to everything around you and does a lot of stuff with your time, you are going to feel as if time creeps by slowly because when thinking back on the past, you're going to have more memories in that time frame. If you go through life not really caring about stuff going on around you, or just wasting away doing stuff like video games, time is going to seem like it's flying by. This is because when you look back at how you spent your time, all you did was play video games. So your thought process goes "I only did 1 thing in all that time...", whereas if you were to go out and do stuff, you have way more events to remember.

On my days off, I get out and go to parks and walk around, explore new places, go places with friends, and just stay busy in general. Then at the end of the week when I'm working and thinking back on the past week, when I remember doing all that stuff, it makes it seem like I had much more time to spend than my normal 3 or 4 days off from work.

I have no idea on the actual "workings of time", but in the explaining of "time moving slowly" or "time flying by", thats all relative to the person looking back on the past.
This is just how I feel on this, I'm not claiming any of this as fact. But this is how I've always looked at it, and I in no way feel time seems to fly so fast. In the past year, I have done what feels like 3 years of activities and events. It's all in how you look at things.

or time just goes slower when you're high ;)

all i have to say is that its all psychological effect. If you want to go in depth about what actually happens in the brain or the psychological aspects behind it then just google it HA :)

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
I think its all in your head, when you're focusing on something you want to do, you're not paying attention to whats going on, focusing only on the thing at hand, So when you think you've only been working on something for a few minuets and its been an hour it's only because you weren't paying attention to the fact that the minuets were flying by.

But when you don't enjoy the topic or thing at hand, you're constantly checking the time, looking for something else to do, or hoping it would go fast, so you're paying more attention to the minuets.

Kind of like when people say a watched pot never boils is because time seems to go by slower when you're waiting for something to happen, but if you leave and check your facebook or something it seems like it's only be a few minuets before the pot starts boiling because you were doing something interesting during that time.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I can control the time. All of them.

So if time appears to be longer when high... Stoners appear to live longer.
lol DDR :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
So if time appears to be longer when high... Stoners appear to live longer.
lol DDR :p

Which leads me to the topic of time being relative, and therefore if time feels shorter, you have more memories and thus feel as if you live longer. If it appears to inside the persons mind, it very much is.
If you feel as if time is slowed, and you have memories from that time period, time very much did "slow down". Why are we claiming that it didn't? Relativity, you so silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity

Varine

Reaction score
I'll take my chances with smoking... I read only 3 out of 5 die from cigarettes, which obviously means the other two become immortal.

And that isn't relativity... but eh, close enough fore the kittycat.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I'll take my chances with smoking... I read only 3 out of 5 die from cigarettes, which obviously means the other two become immortal.

And that isn't relativity... but eh, close enough fore the kittycat.
Yeah, three out of five standing near the smoker die :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.