UK News Wilson row over green 'alarmists'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
_44734647_sammywilson.jpg

The Environment Minister Sammy Wilson has angered green campaigners by describing their view on climate change as a "hysterical psuedo-religion".

In an article in the News Letter, Mr Wilson said he believed it occurred naturally and was not man-made.

"Resources should be used to adapt to the consequences of climate change, rather than King Canute-style vainly trying to stop it," said the minister.

Peter Doran of the Green Party said it was a "deeply irresponsible message."

Mr Wilson said he refused to "blindly accept" the need to make significant changes to the economy to stop climate change.

Last edited:

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
For anyone who cares, the "King Canute" reference refers to a Viking king of England. The story goes that he was so tired of being surrounded by yes-men that he took his whole court out to the seashore, then pointed out that even he couldn't stop the tides from rising.

Technically, it sounds more like Minister Wilson is playing Canute here, since his position is that even if climate change is happening, we're not causing it and we can't do anything to stop it. But hey, it's not like the words coming out of a government official's mouth should make any sense, right? :rolleyes:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
It's not what he meant, it's what he said and the words used. Damn politics...

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
"hysterical psuedo-religion" is exactly how I see it and act towards it.

Amen. Thank God there are people in the world who don't get panic attacks on hot days.

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
He sure is making a funny face in that picture. :p

Nice arguments on both sides. Wilson's response was more intriguing to me though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.