Sci/Tech Windows 8 free trial around the world today as Microsoft revs up to battle Apple

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
article-2108082-11F801C1000005DC-806_634x348.jpg

Microsoft is offering the public a free trial of its upcoming Windows 8 operating system from today. The new operating system will run on tablets as well as desktops and laptops - and is a sea-change for Windows that is seen as a make-or-break opportunity for Microsoft. Tablets and cloud computing have made Bill Gates' vision of ‘a computer on every desk and in every home’ seem quaint - Windows 8 aims to adapt the iconic operating system for life in the mobile world of tablets.

article-2108082-11F7F9D5000005DC-707_634x356.jpg

Windows 8 will come in two variations - one that works on desktops and laptops, and a new version for the ARM microprocessors in tablets, smartphones and other portable devices.

Read the full article!

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I really like the tablet view of the OS!

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
I really like the tablet view of the OS!

So do I. I'm not a huge fan of Windows 8 right now but I'm warming to it. I prefer the Metro style for tablets and not for desktops. The UI doesn't really suit it unless you have a touch screen, which loads of people don't.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Its going to be interesting. I think its something you would have to try for a few months before you could decide if its a helpful or just gets in the way.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Agreed. I like that Windows is experimenting a bit more with actual interface. (opposed to just skinning everything) I might try this out.

...but I really hope they added a lot of customization features. THAT is something that would attract users the most.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Isn't that what Rainmeter is for?
True. Rainmeter is by far one of the best customisation tools I've seen to date. I'm using Windows 8 Consumer Preview right now and I like certain aspects of it that I can see will become useful to other users. Some appeal to me, but not all.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
WINDOWS EIGGHTTTT!! So when does the full version gets released :D

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
YAAAAY Even more of my favourite old games will become obsolete and incompatible! Good job Microsoft! I imagine the system requirements for a PC would skyrocket as well, meaning we need to spend even more money just to stay relevant - just make your technology even more unaccessible to third-world countries, why don't you?

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
YAAAAY Even more of my favourite old games will become obsolete and incompatible! Good job Microsoft! I imagine the system requirements for a PC would skyrocket as well, meaning we need to spend even more money just to stay relevant - just make your technology even more unaccessible to third-world countries, why don't you?

The games should be able to work still. I've been running Windows 7 programs and games just fine. Also the system requirements should be the same, round about Windows 7 specifications anyway.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I ve got windows 7 as well and i can play all the old games too.
The only problem is that the newer versions of directX do not have the correct direct draw library which requires you to manually download an older version of direct draw dll and put it into your games folder.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
I ve got windows 7 as well and i can play all the old games too.
The only problem is that the newer versions of directX do not have the correct direct draw library which requires you to manually download an older version of direct draw dll and put it into your games folder.

The same happened today to me. I was on my family laptop and I decided to install a game from back in 2000 called 1NSANE. Back then it used Direct X 7a and I was using Windows 7 to play it. It worked fine, the game already had the Direct X 7a driver on the disc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.