Worlds Smallest Ecosystem

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Okey, I am sitting on some homework atm, and I have googled around and some stuff but I can't find it. I am supposed to find the simplest and smallest eco system, but I can't find it anywhere on the internetz, so I thought I ask here.

EDIT: More importantly it is simple, doesn't have to be the smallest around. Yes, I got the title wrong.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Curiously, I am studying ecosystems right now. One of the most basic ecosystems (I think) would be a temperate grassland ecosystem.

It's just cattle and sheep and insects and birds and grass. That sort of thing. If you mean food chains/webs then it's also fairly simple. There are probably simpler ones out there (tundra might be worth looking into) but I couldn't tell you for certain. Go look up those two, they might help :)

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Well, I am more thinking of an closed eco system, the only thing they get from the outside world is sunlight.

Chao

Setting sail for fail in the sea of lame.
Reaction score
I think your best bet would be a closed ecosystem; think of Ponds. Bugs, small amphibians, plant life.
Or, maybe something desolate, ie. mountainous, where you're likely to get goats, grasses, and cougars.

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
I might have the wrong information, but look into tidal pools.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
A closed ecosystem? Hmmm... well, I think that an ideal candidate for that would be a small island. Nothing's going to get there but the sunlight, is it?
Darwin, for example, noticed that in the Galapagos Islands, there were different species evolved on each of the islands, despite being just a short distance away.
Tropical Rainforest also, somewhat suprisingly, falls into that category, because there's so little space. But it's probably way too diverse for what you're looking for.

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Dirt in a jar is an eco system.

I learned that in grade 4.

What do they teach you people outside of Canada!?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Dirt in a jar is an eco system.

I learned that in grade 4.

What do they teach you people outside of Canada!?

That's such a fun experiment... Oh, and I believe the guy is asking for examples of natural examples outside the realm of humanity (jars of dirt).

Ozzdog

Reaction score
well in nature... hmm..

There are hot water vents in that giant trench in the middle of the Atlantic. Where miniscule creatures live only on the thermal energy of the hot water.

Ozzdog

Reaction score
Excuse me, you are right, it is a trench.

It is where the tutonic plates are born, which causes the hot water vents, due to being so close to magma

Seems pretty small to me? Consists of one source of energy to support a few amount of species.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
I remember watching a video where a small colony of ants lived in a hollow acorn.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.