Technology Yup, 1-800-COLLECT is still in business—and charging massive fees

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
"Save a buck or two!"

If you had a TV and were alive in the early 1990s, you probably saw the ubiquitous ads from 1-800-COLLECT in which celebrities like Phil Hartman, Chris Rock, and Arsenio Hall implored payphone users to save cash on collect calls by using the company's eponymous service.

(If you didn't live through the early 1990s, you probably have three questions: What's a payphone? What are collect calls? And why would I want to make one when I have my cell phone?)

The pitch was this: you dialed 1-800-COLLECT before placing a call and, rather than suffer whatever astronomical rate the company owning the phone might charge, you reached a friendly 1-800-COLLECT operator and connected at known, modest rates.

The service became popular enough that less-scrupulous companies bought up similar 1-800 numbers, counting on misdials for business. (The FCC continues to warn people about the danger of misdialing 1-800-COLLECT).

Times have changed, cell phones have arrived, and payphones have become a dying breed. But people do still use them, do still need to make collect calls, and do still dial 1-800-COLLECT. And when they do, they get a surprise. A very expensive surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
My friend called me on collect once. Never again.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Its Crazy! :) Cannot believe they stay in business and are apparently still kind of big. LOL!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Its Crazy! :) Cannot believe they stay in business and are apparently still kind of big. LOL!
I only remembered this commercial: 1-800-CALLATT. Free for you, cheap for them. *random antics*

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I think that was the same company.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Bumping for Great Rip Off Justice :) I wonder if it is still around...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.