RPG Zalent Project

Durandal

Reaction score
* Barbarian => Mercenary => Assasin

Renaming to be more logical

Spy => Infiltrator => Assassin

Spy

Stalk - The Spy becomes invisible, if the Spy attacks from behind or when the target is stunned, the Spy deals 1/2/3/4x his agility

That's all for now, more later

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Okay, I will post up my current map in a little bit. From there, I suppose I can have some people start terraining if they want to, so let me know if you're both still interested and maybe we can just divy it out. There are a few conditions I have on the terrianing, which I will explain when I post the map.

Also, if someone wants to look at code, I'm fine with that. I feel like the only thing that's even worth noting is my in-game modification codes and perhaps my spawn trigger. All the rest are pretty common and basic so far. I am thinking I will start one of the job trees and try to complete it over the next month or two. At least having one complete job tree will be nice. If anyone wants to help, that would be good. I mostly need to "create" the abilities, then make the trigs if necessary, and finding existing abilities that closely match it would be nice.

Also, if anyone has any has a suggestion on how to load hash tables quickly, that would be nice. It seems like I'm going to just have to make 2,000 assignments to a single hashtable at the start of the game. It would be nice if I could just have an Excell table inserted through some algorithmic fashion.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Terraining

Alright, concerning the terraining, I wanted to put in these instructions. You're free to do about anything, but I had a few specifics I wanted to have everything matched to.

You will need New Gen WE so if you don't have that, I recommend you get it. It uses custom terrain features only in NewGen (such as ice in a Lorderean Summer).

When you open the map you will probably not really see anything. Zoom in and you will see Zalent. In the object editor he is *03* Knight (Custom). I shrunk everything to make the world seem "bigger". I guess it works. The place seems huge to terrain. This is meant to be a very Epic RPG. Anyway, if you compare Zalent with the buildings and terrain around him, you will see that everything has been scaled as best as I can to his size. To do this, some of the buildings have not only had their picture images shrunk, but the size of their pathability changed in order to make it work and seem reasonable. I realize this can be a big burden for making cities, and I'm fine with doing the city details if nobody wants to do that. I have some plans in mind for the city up north, but that's the only one I might reserve for myself if nobody wants to really mess with it.

You'll see the trees in some of the area (the areas I have revisited) are smaller than normal. I have created "Small Tree (Custom)" which is the size of those trees. (Just a note: Those trees have smaller pathability so they cover the smallest spacing possible). If you're going to put in "normal" trees, use those. In the bottom-right corner is an illusion forest. When all is said and done, the forest will look normal (without the "dead" trees) and the player won't know where he can or cannot go so easily. I will take care of that, since it was my idea (unless you have some suggestions for it). The trees there are larger, in order to hide the player more effectively, but those are the only trees I really want large . . . unless you can think of a good reason to have larger trees elsewhere.

Around the map you will see "start" locations. Those are places I plan to have cities. Do what you want there. I have some plans for the "races" that will live in each city, but I don't know if it's a big enough deal. I'll take what you make and use it how I can or change what I'm doing. Some of the cities, what I have done is placed buildings on the pavement. You have to change the pathability in the object editor to make that work.

You will probably notice black trails that lead from place to place. Those were planned roads between cities or landmarks. You don't have to follow them exactly (or hardly at all if you don't want to) but don't make connections from cities that don't have connections like that. That's my only request with those paths.

There is a city a little south-east of the center, and you're free to add more details to make it look better, but essentially I consider that city "done". Also, in some of the areas around the map you will see lone-buildings. Those are temples that I will use in the game. If it looks like it should go at a specific place, leave it there, otherwise just put it in somewhere in the city or near that area. I just want them around.

There's a desert in the middle, feel free to add to that. Try not to mess with the ridges too much, particularly the one that looks like a bug head or something. That is Taurus, and I was going to allow the units to walk ON it, so it needs to be wide. The frozen area was a hard one to make. Try not to ruin the ice part that is there. It took me forever to put that there like that. It seems like a miracle that I ever got it to look like that in the first place. You can remove the ice bridge, though. The mountains on the eastern part are meant to be mountains. I plan to make them non-pathable so the player will not be able to climb over them. Maybe that will give you an idea of what the mountain area will be like. There will be robbers in the mountain, but I don't know where yet—probably near where the robber units are.

Concerning the units, don't worry about them. Remove the extra units lying around or in your way. I put them all out there so I could organize and see them. They don't need to be there. The circular thing to the left of the frozen area is meant for something in the game, so don't mess with its terrain. Build around it however you like, though. I'll figure it out. The part in the top-left . . . that's a weird thing. I imagine it being a place hidden by fog that the hero slowly descends down to find, going through the caverns that are found in the bottom-left corner. That may appear strange, but essentially those caverns are designed so that the player can travel from one room to the next and the caverns can seem infinitely large, or however I want them to be. If you have any suggestions for it, go ahead and give them, otherwise don't really mess with those too much (unless you wish to add details). And with that city in the top-left, just change things if you feel like it. It was a mess putting in there . . . and it was something left over from my sister's doing.

All the stuff in the up-right corner you can get rid of and make whatever you want. Originally I had thought to put the insides of the stores there, but that became very messy, so I didn't. Maybe I will do that if someone really wants that. I would like to put an arena somewhere . . . but don't know where, and you can obviously see my attempt to make an arena over there. If you come up with any ideas, or good locations, let me know.

As for anything else, you pretty much have free reign. I don't know what you would like to do, but if you have questions you can always ask me. I know it's very specific . . . so don't worry if you don't want to do anything. It has been time-consuming for me, too.

Attachments

• Zalent_Terrain.w3x
    711.6 KB · Views: 278

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Is anyone good at making spells work? In either GUI, Object Editor, or JASS, it really doesn't matter. Everything will have a JASS component, one way or another, but . . . I can handle the damaging triggers. I just can't get things to look and do what I'm envisioning them to do. The Object Editor is not designed very nicely. I don't know how I can do things like make rocks into missiles.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
if you look at it, if you stop fighting with the sword and start casting spells one after another your sword fighting skills will drop and your magical abilitys will raise. players can take a break (like eating something while staying in town or going to the WC) without becoming the biggest loser.
in your game i think i would become paranoid and stop reading any quest or storylines or item descriptions cause i know every second i spend reading stuff i lose my power to kill something and i doubt this is what you want to achieve.

good luck.
Accname.

Actually, for clarification (and I don't know why I didn't say this earlier) this is originally being designed as a single-player RPG . . . so if you have to go to the WC, PAUSE the game . . . simple as that.

But I have thought about elements for a multiplayer feature. Once the original game has been cast (and if someone teaches me a lot more about JASS or takes up the job of making the complicated scripts that would make life much simpler) then I will possibly create a multi-player version.

retupmoc258

Reaction score
Still going at it. Updated a little bit on the front page. Guess there isn't much more to talk about for now. Anybody like programming spells? Doesn't have to be fancy.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.