Acid Bomb Damage Over Time Problem

SkinnyAshley

Reaction score
I have a spell in my map that is based off "Acid Bomb" and is called "Ambush". The spell is supposed to deal initial damage, then damage over time, as well as a movement speed reduction. So, for level one, it's supposed to do 80 initial damage (which it does), then 5 damage per second for 5 seconds. Instead of doing 5 damage, however, it does the initial damage (80) per second, and it does this at all levels (resulting in a very IMBA spell). Here is some of my spell data:

Level 1 - Data - Primary Damage - 80
Level 1 - Data - Secondary Damage - 5
Level 1 - Stats - Duration - Hero - 5.10

Should this not work?
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
-- SkinnyAshley

EDIT
Ah, sorry everyone. I just found a thread that had something like this that I over looked before. The problem is fixed.
-- SkinnyAshley

Legacyspy

Reaction score
Primary damage is the damage dealt to the target, secondary damage is the damage dealt to the units around the target. If you want initial damage you will have to trigger it.

ZulzZ

Reaction score
You could make a dummy area ability and when its cast spawn dummies that will cast Shadow Strike on targetted units

but it would really be a waste since shadow strike have got all he want's even the option to make it AoE :)

SkinnyAshley

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest and the advice guys, but the problem is fixed. I'll give you all reputation for helping anyway.
-- SkinnyAshley

ZulzZ

Reaction score
and Vaius said it :), if you can't find it then just try changing the levels to 1 and look for the AoE and set levels to your number of levels again :)

Code:
Level X - Stats - Area of Effect                                  0.00

Kikac_NNGK

Reaction score
Well if r so sure why dont u make the shadow strike in AOE (by object editor) and post it on this thread

ZulzZ

Reaction score
sure no problem :)

Attachments

• Shadowstrike.jpg
    Shadowstrike.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 164

Kikac_NNGK

Reaction score
Dude, that doesent work. Try to see what will happend. I tryed a milion times and diidnt worked

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
If Area of Effect worked with single target spells, why would we be making triggers to do things like Mass Entangling Roots or Mass Ensnare?

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
If Area of Effect worked with single target spells, why would we be making triggers to do things like Mass Entangling Roots or Mass Ensnare?

Azlier is correct... You need to trigger it, and the trigger will look something like this:

Code:
AoE Shadow Strike
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to (pick an AoE ability that doesn't do anything, like Blizzard with no damage and no animation)
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit within 500 of (target unit of ability being cast) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 DUMMYUNIT for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) facing 0.00 degrees
                Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Add Shadow Strike to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Set level of Shadow Strike for (Last created unit) to (your hero's AoE ability) for (Triggering unit))
                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Warden - Shadow Strike (Picked unit)

edit: I realize that's hard to read, I'll put it in spoilers and write an easier version.

Code:
AoE Shadow Strike
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to (pick an AoE ability that doesn't do anything, like Blizzard with no damage and no animation)
    Actions
        Set unitgroup_temporary = (units within 600.00 of (target unit of ability being cast) matching ((matching unit) controller is an enemy of (triggering unit) controller) equal to true)
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in unitgroup_temporary and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set point2 = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
                Unit - Create 1 DUMMYUNIT for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at point2 facing 0.00 degrees
                Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Add Shadow Strike to (Last created unit)
                Unit - Set level of Shadow Strike for (Last created unit) to (your hero's AoE ability) for (Triggering unit))
                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Warden - Shadow Strike (Picked unit)
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_point2)
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup(udg_unitgroup)

edit: [ spoiler][ /spoiler] isn't working... oh well. Just look at the top one for the simple idea, look at the bottom for the leakless one.

ZulzZ

Reaction score
Oh well im sorry, didn't thought of checking it cause it seemed too obvious :)..

the_ideal just put it in [ WC3 ] tag instead :)

this is just the code written by the_ideal

Trigger:
  • AoE Shadow Strike
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (pick an AoE ability that doesn't do anything, like Blizzard with no damage and no animation)
    • Actions
      • Set unitgroup_temporary = (units within 600.00 of (target unit of ability being cast) matching ((matching unit) controller is an enemy of (triggering unit) controller) equal to true)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in unitgroup_temporary and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set point2 = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
          • Unit - Create 1 DUMMYUNIT for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at point2 facing 0.00 degrees
          • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Shadow Strike to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Set level of Shadow Strike for (Last created unit) to (your hero's AoE ability) for (Triggering unit))
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Warden - Shadow Strike (Picked unit)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_point2)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_unitgroup)

Vaius

Reaction score
I wasn't saying that's how it actually works, but how it's "supposed" to work.

Technomeme

Reaction score
I have a spell in my map that is based off "Acid Bomb" and is called "Ambush". The spell is supposed to deal initial damage, then damage over time, as well as a movement speed reduction. So, for level one, it's supposed to do 80 initial damage (which it does), then 5 damage per second for 5 seconds. Instead of doing 5 damage, however, it does the initial damage (80) per second, and it does this at all levels (resulting in a very IMBA spell). Here is some of my spell data:

Level 1 - Data - Primary Damage - 80
Level 1 - Data - Secondary Damage - 5
Level 1 - Stats - Duration - Hero - 5.10

Should this not work?
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
-- SkinnyAshley

EDIT
Ah, sorry everyone. I just found a thread that had something like this that I over looked before. The problem is fixed.
-- SkinnyAshley
what was the fix for this i have the exact same issue!

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should ask your question over at the Hive. You can always link to this thread as a reference and they will be able to help you there. That is where most of the active Warcraft 3 people are

#1 Warcraft 3 Reforged Modding Community
The Hive Workshop is the largest Warcraft III community since 2004 with over 100k users, centered around map making, modeling, custom games, programming & art.

www.hiveworkshop.com

That is the absolute BEST resource for Warcraft 3 World Editor Help in 2023 and beyond. Everyone that was here is there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.