World Anxiety high at Malaysia Airlines this week as 20,000 staff await termination letters

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Anxiety is at its highest and morale lowest for the 20,000 people working for Malaysia Airlines (MAS). It will either be tears of joy or anguish when they get their termination and re-employment letters in a matter of days. MAS, one of the country's biggest government-linked companies (GLC), will terminate its entire workforce to start afresh as a smaller airline with a regional focus rather than international. The only person spared is chief executive Christoph Mueller, who was hired to lead the new airline but was then roped in to manage the transition.

No GLC in Malaysia has ever sacked nearly everyone and this could well be the most number of people ever sacked in one day in Malaysia. But this is part of the last-ditch effort to remake MAS, saddled with debts for several years now, even before the twin tragedies of MH370 and MH17. Today, an administrator will be appointed. He is Datuk Mohammad Faiz Azmi, executive chairman of the consulting and audit firm PricewaterhouseCoopers. He will sign all the termination letters, which will be sent out on Wednesday.

Said one MAS staff member: "I thought a GLC was the safest place to work in, but now I don't even know if I will have a job on June 1." The staff member, who did not want to be named, said: "It is a very sad period in our lives. I never thought this day would come when I first joined the airline more than two decades ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.