Item effects stacking

sve3n

Reaction score
Hello , im working at my current dota-like map and i want to make an orb effects system

anyone have an idea how i make to dont stack the item effects ?

thanks

EDIT : ive finded an solutin but im not sure how to use it , in the item editor at "Stats - Cooldown Group" , anyone can explain how this works ?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> to dont stack

Abilities don't stack because they are of Orb Effects. And, usually, these Orb Effects abilities are those that detect on-hit events like when a missile hit a target. You cannot un-Orb them. They will never be able to stack (if they're unstackable, that is), because they're hardcoded. Unless of course you trigger every single Orb Effect spells yourself. I don't think it's worth the time though (imagine triggering Critical Strike, seems pointless).

Some examples of on-hit spells:
Life steal
Critical Strike (seems a little Orby to me)
Orb of Lightning
Bash (seems a little Orby to me)

sve3n

Reaction score
so ... if i make an item with slow attack and an item with lifesteal .. that items will stack?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
If they are stackable, they will stack. Or else, they will never stack no matter what you do. And, if I'm not mistaken, slow attack and lifesteal stack. There's a table somewhere which show the stackability of Orb Effect abilities (from DotA). Not sure where is it though.

> Stats - Cooldown Group

This has got something to do with the cooldown. Nothing to do with stackability of Orb Effects. If, say, you have 2 different active items, both with same Cooldown Group, then when either one of the item is used, both the items will be on cooldown at the same time.

sve3n

Reaction score
ok , ive got it ...

if i want to use only 1 effect then i will put to 1st item no cooldown group and to the 2nd item the 1st item effect , right?:)

but ... what effect will use , the 1st item effect or 2nd?

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
f i want to use only 1 effect then i will put to 1st item no cooldown group and to the 2nd item the 1st item effect , right?

I really don't get what you mean here? o_O Is this still about Orb Effects?

Cooldown Group is the pooled cooldown time for multiple items. Example:

Item A - Chain of Lightning
Item B - War Stomp

Now, the cooldown group for both abilities are Chain of Lightning (or whatever). When either one of the item is used, both of the items will be in cooldown state. Meaning, you cannot use 2 active abilities at the same time. Not sure if what you understood is what I intend to tell you though.

Nerfpl

Reaction score
I think we shouldnt refer to dota here. thier lifedrain stack with slow orb, where in normal game it wont.

Trigerring orb effects is very easy and actually give your map some touch of advencment vs others.

the only problem only would be when alot of units carry same orb effects, and they hit and too much dummy units is created which would cause a bit lag i think. (not sure tho)

nothing hard to create something like (i would slove it this way)
E:Unit takes damage
A:If unit have orbskill1 then
create dummy
add spell1 to dummy
order dummy to cast spell1
If unit have orbskill2 then...etc

the only problem is to dont affect spell dmg etc, but i saw somewhere tutorial for this.

//btw: i doubt icefrog use orb effects from wc3. this guy will trigger even simplest thing which already exist in object editor. also i think thats why you can have 1 buff placer, because they dont use multiple IF, there is just 1 dummy cast per attack. (i think)

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Critical strike is not an orb effect and if you have a unit with multiple skills based on it they will all work. When it is said critical strike doesn't stack what is ment is they wont stack on each other, all the skills will work, but you can't get a critical on another critical.

Nerfpl

Reaction score
Critical strike is not an orb effect and if you have a unit with multiple skills based on it they will all work. When it is said critical strike doesn't stack what is ment is they wont stack on each other, all the skills will work, but you can't get a critical on another critical.

no1 said nothing about critical strike here except vypur85 which is in bad thinking that is orb effect.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Need more help with this? Check out The Hive Workshop!

#1 Warcraft 3 Reforged Modding Community
The Hive Workshop is the largest Warcraft III community since 2004 with over 100k users, centered around map making, modeling, custom games, programming & art.

www.hiveworkshop.com

That is the absolute BEST resource for Warcraft 3 World Editor Help in 2023 and beyond. Everyone that was here is there.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.