My Starcraft Lag Problem

J

jeremygreen6

A Fix For B.net And Firewall

Im not sure if you have fixed this yet. But if you havent. Just because you disable a firewall does not mean that it isnt running still. you have to remove the firewall from the pc in order for it to work. Also if you do not want to remove the firewall, you need to add the progams to the firewall Allow list, which should be under your settings. Second thing is memory, if you have several progams running in the back ground it will use up to much memory and when you try to play a game you have no memory left to use, causing lag. to remove those programs selct start. then RUN. type in msconfig and press OK. then select start up and remove the programs that are not required. be very careful about what you remove. i hope that helps

K

kobybryant

Why is it lagging now even though I never lagged before??

Why is it every time when I play starcraft my starcraft music will play the same phrase and if I click on diplomacy or menu it would freeze. It also happens when I'm just playing regularly. I don't know if getting xbox live would be a problem but I never had this one before.I also have a windows xp and dsl. PLEASE HELP

B

bertalan

Lag in Starcraft

Hi Guys,

I am habing the same problem. Two days ago I change my connection from 3 megabits to 5 megabits. Before I could play Starcraft without any lag or problem. No I can not play at all. I am able to get in the host game, but when it starts... uhhhh huge lag and im drop out.
It is very odd because I get different results using ping:
ping www.google.com
Reply from 66.249.93.99: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=242
ping www.globo.com
Reply from 201.7.178.45: bytes=32 time=285ms TTL=43
ping www.battle.net -t
Request timed out

Plz some help ?

Marcelo

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Was there any new equipment installed when you upgraded your connection? Such as a modem or router?

E

Echo

Don't mean to necro, but I'm getting the same results now. I highly suspect it's my router, as I now have the BT Home Hub and can't play SC any more online. I can host on WC3, so I have all the ports open etc.
I am experiencing the same problems, and the results are the same as the person two posts above me when I ping, it times out for battle.net

B

bagofscum

I am having the same problem as the kaiser soze ( the original poster ) and mrmatt
I have a good computer with a good connection and starcraft lags when i join games with more than 1 person
i see 2 green bars on everyone and the game doesn't start until 2 seconds later then when im in the game lags and is unplayable
I use to play starcraft on a a P2 on 56k and have no lag
I dont know what the problem is maybe its Sp2?
cuz i installed SP2 recently and the problem started
anyone can help?

J

jonny''

problem again

I have same problem.. can someone please explain real simple how to fix this.. its reallly starting to piss me off!
i mean after a while pumping the computers gets a little boring i need some battlenet action bad.

PS.(By simple i mean reeeeeal simple im not the greatest with computers..)
cheers guys.

W

wake88

I'm having the same issue and can definitely say that it has NOTHING to do with any firewall. I have a server with 2 NIC's acting as my router and a Netgear switch hooked to that. Nothing has changed in the last few years and I used to have no problem with Bnet and Starcraft. I have no firewall on the server (win2k) and have tried disabling the windows firewall on my desktop which is the only firewall I use. No dice. Can only play 1v1 or get lagged out.

I use static IP's for all my computers with the gateway set as the server computer. I have a Comcast supplied cable modem which I've been using for 4 years. Either something with Comcast, Windows XP, or Starcraft has changed in the past 2 years to create this issue.

I've tried the following unsuccessfully:
disabling firewall
using different DNS
resetting modem
hooking pc directly to modem
using a different pc
reinstalling starcraft

If anyone figures this out, please post!

N

Nanalo

same problem here as well. i finally went back to sc yesterday to play again because i finally have dsl. turns out i can't play with more than 1 person or it lags very badly, but with 1 person it's very smooth.

just like bagofscum i used to have 56k and i didn't have any problems except for the obvious 56k problems.

PLEASE someone, what is the problem here?

Z

Zohariel

Starcraft problem

I think I am having the same problem as well... I recently started going back to SC after a long while, maybe three years, and installed it on my new computer. (Windows XP) I am currently using a Wireless USB Network Adapter, Linksys to be exact, that I use on two computers to connect. When I went on battle.net for the first time, I joined UMS games, and maybe after 5 - 10 minutes of play, I get dropped out ALL. THE. TIME. Every single game, I get dropped out... I don't know if it has to do with the wireless network adapter? Does anyone have the answer? Thanks. I'm a complete computer noob. Haha.

Zohariel

S

stracraftlag

ah ha

I have same issue. Router is PFsense with 6112-6119 forwarded tcp udp and 4000 tcp. 1v1 works awesome but 2v1 or 3v1 is ass. the odd thing is the other people have no lag at all when they play in 3pplayer game. one of them even has a pfsense as well.

edit: looks like these people have the same issue: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,4989.0.html

N

nickboofos

My solution

I have a jetspeed 520+ ADSL modem , 2 PCs connected through ethernet on it. I wanted to play starcraft on one of them.

I used to have exactly the same problems. Game lagged when more than 2 players (including me) on a game. Tried everything (firewalls off,reboot,reinstall,registry clear). The above post hinted me that I should look into the NAT configuration more thoroughly. Indeed that was it.

The target is to send all starcraft related packets to the starcraft PC.
It seems that default NAT translated correctly only traffic that started from INSIDE my network. I set a rule to translate inbound traffic too so that incoming packets will be sent to the PC where starcraft was installed (aka port forwarding). To my big frustration that wouldn't work either. I finally noticed that the new rule I had created had an ID=10 , and the default rule which had ID=1 was executed first , preempting my packets. Once the default rule was deleted everything worked fine.

B

bbakpl

ok so this is couple months l8er.. after reading this whole thread from page 1 to end i still need some help..... how do i change my NAT like said ^above from id=10 to =1? im on a Linksys BEFSR41 V3 with ports 6112 and 4000 opened up no firewall on comp... i believe this is the only solution any help still around?

and hi im a new user to the forums... weres the hello thread im blind!!!:banghead:

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> Opened up

Does it mean Port Forwarding? If not, then http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSR41-v3-v4-v5/Starcraft.htm
EDIT:
From fixya.com:
BigZ1981 said:
First, you need to get into the user interface for the router. To do that, just open your web browser, type in 198.168.1.1 & hit enter. A login prompt will pop up if you're able to access the router.

If you've never done this before, the username is blank & the password is admin

What, exactly do you want to do with the NAT firewall?

To enable/disable NAT: click on setup, then click on advanced routing.

To filter Internet NAT redirection: click on security, then click on filters.
Link to Linksys BEFSR41 official page.
EDIT2:

If you are Behind NAT (Network Address Translator) with Router and your computer IP is assigned by DHCP
(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)

Q: How to find out am I assigned IP by DHCP?
A: In Windows XP System Tray (Where you can watch computer clock) is LAC (Local Area Connection) icon. Right click on it and choose Status. Now appears window what shows info about current
data flow. In upper left corner you can choose between two tabs - General and Support. Click on
Support tab. Address Type shows how you have obtained your computer IP address.
If it tells 'Assigned by DHCP' you should try Port Triggering. Other fields are also very important.
I give quick and useful description what each filed shows:

IP address: Your current IP address of computer.
Subnet Mask: First part of 225.225.225.0 is reserved for your Router (Default Gateway). That would be then
225.225.225. Second part of Subnet Mask is for computers connected to that specific router. That would be 0. 0 also represents numbers from 2 to 255. numbers 0 and 1 are reserved for your Router (Gateway).
Default Gateway: This shows your Router IP address. When you type that IP address to Browser
window you are able to log in and change current internet settings how Router operates. From there
you can control incoming and outgoing packets and much more. Notice the exact same numbers in your
IP address like has Default Gateway? Actual computer IP address is made by putting two of them together (Default Gateway first + computer number in LAN (Local Area Network)). As a side note
Default Gateway also can be Modem.

Problem Description:
Other computers from WAN (Wide Area Network aka Internet) who try to connect through Router with computer in LAN (Local Area Network) can' t reach it. It means their sent packets aren' t delivered to computer in LAN.

Source of Problem:
It happens because of NAT (Network Address Translator) in router. Router automatically drops packets sent by unknown senders (computers in WAN aka Internet). With only one exception - if computer in LAN requests response from computer in WAN first its packets are allowed through Router to that specific computer in LAN. Computers in WAN can only see Router as a one another computer in WAN. They are unaware of other computers which are connected to Router. It is supposed to be like that. Now if even computer in LAN does first step to communicate with another computer in WAN Router isn' t aware of request. Computer in WAN sees only Router as a request done computer and submits packet addressed to that. Router dosn' t know to who that a packet is meant in LAN, labels computer in WAN unknown and starts to drop its packets.

Solution:
Computer in LAN has to say to Router that it' s waiting response from specific computer in WAN and that response would be delivered to requesting computer IP address.
One solution would be Port Triggering.
Linksys Router Manual said:
Port Triggering allows the Router to watch outgoing data for specific port
numbers. The IP address of the computer that sends the matching data is
remembered by the Router, so that when the requested data returns through the
Router, the data is pulled back to the proper computer by way of IP address and
port mapping rules.
Here is what you have to do:
Linksys Router Manual said:
1. Enter the Application Name of the trigger.
2. Enter the Trigger Port Range used by the application. Check with the
Internet application for the port number needed.
3. Enter the Incoming Port Range used by the application. Check with the
Internet application for the port number needed.
4. Click the Apply button.
the Application Name: In our case it' s our Starcraft game.
the Trigger Port Range used: All ports what Starcraft game uses to communicate with other players in Battle.net.
the Incoming Port Range: These port numbers belong to your Router, which are for WAN side. Router then knows from which ports from WAN is expected incoming packets. These received packets are no longer unknown for Router. Packets will be sent to computer in LAN with IP who made request corresponding ports.

MUST:
You still have to enable requesting computer' s port range for Starcraft. It means you have to forward exactly same ports from computer in LAN to Router.

Second solution would be to Forward Ports in Range to Specific computer in LAN aka creating static port.

Because hosting any game behind Router NAT equals to creating accessible server for outsiders from WAN (Wide Area Network aka Internet) here is perfectly described how NAT (Network Address Translator) works and how to host server in private network (private network equals Local Area Network).
Here is the link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk15/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093e51.shtml
Game actually is server when you want to host game yourself, replace word 'server' with word <any computer game here> or 'Starcraft' and everything should be understandable. If I find time I will update my post.

B

bbakpl

i've done all that. disabled nat filter and the other filters also. and i still lag the games like bad. countdown/+5sec/game mad lag. now if i go to disable my nat completely i lose my connection and all the other comps in my house lose it also. (3 comps total) . so does this mean i can only play when im hardwired to the modem itself?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Keep reading, I have updated the last post. I will add part how to create static route to computer behind Router.

EDIT: Tried Port Triggering myself on my Warcraft III and it worked perfectly. I have D-Link 604 router connected to Webstar modem.

B

bbakpl

ok so i did port triggering and static ip.... still the same... i tried going hardwired to modem from my comp.... styll the same.... this is not my reg comp but i used to play sc on it b4 so i know it ran fine.so im thinking its something with my isp.. im on bell sympatico btw... and i think their firewall on the modem if screwing me over... gonna try contacting them see if there is a way around.... bbl

edit. OK so Bell is no help of course. I did some more searching on how to change the setting my self. Of course when i go to modem ip i get the status/mode/setup nothing else and wont let me edit nething. So i have a SpeedStream 5200-Series Config Part #: 003-s093-G06 Firmware Part #: 004-E242-A2M. I found a thread located @ DSL Reports on how to unlock it. I did it all perfect and can't seem to unlock it. I cant even change firmware on it. gonna post 1 there also and see what they say. This is a possible solution that i believe it works. So for ne1 have same problems try it if ur using the same modem.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> Linksys BEFSR41 V3
>SpeedStream 5200

Do you have (SpeedStream 5200) cable modem what is connected to (Linksys BEFSR41 V3) router and from router cable goes to your three different computers?
You are from Canada and your ISP is Bell Sympatico? They have loaned you SpeedStream 5200 with modified firmware until you are their customer? In this case there is reason for giving limited access to customer. I' m not sure if it' s legal to bypass this restriction.
What kind of service do you subscribe from Bell? Is it dial-up, xDSL or cable connection? Most importantly does your subscribed service has opened ports? If not, you can' t host a (Starcraft) game server any way. If you have opened ports use port triggering or static route. You don' t need to do both. Choose port triggering if you want to keep NAT active. Find out computer NIC (Network Interface Card) MAC address which is registered as service subscriber. Some ISPs identify their customers with NIC MAC addresses. In Windows XP you can find it:
Code:
run > cmd > ipconfig /all
Physical Address shows your current computer NICs MAC address. If you have found right NIC MAC address access your router (Leave the User Name field blank, and enter admin in the Password field. Then click the
OK button.) and clone that MAC address. Read closer from Linksys BEFSR41 user manual page from 74 (Page 41 of 66, when viewing from Adobe Reader). It applies only to Linksys BEFSR41 owners. Others need to find out what are their router (manufacturer default) User Name and Password.

First of all keep always in hand reach your device manuals. Download them to your hard drive. They are very helpful. Save web pages from your ISP site what teach how to set up your internet connection.
Efficient Networks Speedstream 5200 (USB & Ethernet)
If you didn' t noticed Speedstream 5200 user manual.
Linksys BEFSR41 Router user manual (Choose from drop down menu version number also.)

About Port Triggering in Linksys BEFSR41 user manual is at page 68 (Page 38 of 66, when viewing from Adobe Reader). Onwards comes Static Routing, choose between one of these. I suggest Port Triggering.
With static route there are some limitations. Read closer from Linksys BEFSR41 user manual page from 75 (Page 41 of 66, when viewing from Adobe Reader).
Linksys BEFSR41 user manual said:
Enter a unique IP address that is not used by any other computer
on the network connected to the Router. You can only use an IP address
in the ranges 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.151 to
192.168.1.254. Make sure that each IP address is unique for each PC or network
device
After this small 'introduction', I' m pretty sure you have DSL connection. Now find out does your subscribed service has opened ports.

> I did it all perfect and can't seem to unlock it.

Did you noticed:
Doctor Olds said:
This is very simple, If it does not have E242 on the label, the info in this thread doesn't apply and you should start a new thread asking for help as you have a different model.
What is your exact modem version and name? ...5200 series is to vague description.

EDIT (Hopefully solves your case)

I found again superb forum thread about Bell' s habit to reduce customer' s power to apply custom settings to their modem(s):
http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67008&sid=d64a4f33f9150ebd3c487648e3ecfb8d

It' s totally ok, that you can' t access to modify modem settings. You can solve your problems by changing router settings too.

S

scrubadub

Starcraft Lag!

Please keep this post alive, I am having the same problems, and ALL I WANT IS TO PLAY STARCRAFT! I have a speedstream 5200, with a linksys WRT54G. everyone is talking about NAT, but for some reason my speedstream is using NAPT enabled only. When I try to enable my NAT, it says that i provide an incorrect IP address. I put in my computers IP address, but it still doesn't work.
For some reason though, my modem is using two interfaces. One is:

PPPoE 0/35
and the other is:
2684(0) 0/35

Please someone help meeeee!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.