Question about Upgrades

EoW.chips

Reaction score
Hey,

I had made a tower with an attack rate of 2.0 seconds. I have 2 attack speed upgrades for this tower, each of them increases attack speed by 20%.

Now my question is:

After the first upgrade, will the tower have 1.6 seconds attack rate (cuz 20% of 2.0 = 1.6) ?
And after the second one, will the tower have 1.2 seconds or 1.28 seconds ? (cuz 20% of 1.6 seconds = 0.32)

Does 20% lesser attack rate mean of the current attack rate or of the basic attack rate ?

Thanks for answers (and sry for my bad english, but i think you understand what i mean ;)

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
The easiest way to test this would be to try it out. Make a trigger that outputs a message when the tower attacks, and start a periodic trigger to increase the value of a real variable every 0.01 seconds. On the tower's next attack, output the value of the variable, and you should have an approximate time between the tower's two attacks.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
I think its of the initial value,
eg upgrade1 is 20%
upgrade2 is +20% = 40% of intial and not 20%+120%of20=44%
I think but I might be wrong, but I think it will be 1.2

Weird though, but I remember factors like this if stacked have decreased effectiveness.
Eg, having 1 a/s item is better than 2 because the increase is reduced. Especially in cases like attack speed.
But if you think about it, 1.6 from 2 will seem very big, and then 1.2 from 1.6 will seem like a smaller decrease. So it kinda makes sense lol.

EoW.chips

Reaction score
I just thought about one thing, if i set the Upgrade bonus to 50%, the attack speed would change to 1 second (50% of 2 sec = 1 sec)
but if i change it to 100% it would be like infinity attack speed. That stuff is tricky Oo

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Increases to attack speed are exactly what they say, an increased number of hits per unit time, NOT a direct subtraction from cooldown time.

eg: If a unit has cooldown 2 sec, that means it attacks 5 times in 10 seconds. A 50% atk speed bonus will make it attack an average of 7.5 times per 10 seconds, not 10 times
i.e.
final_cooldown=initial cooldown/(1 + atk_speed_bonus/100)
so a 20% atk speed bonus lowers cd from 2 to 2/(1.2)=1.67 seconds. Stacking 2 of these bonuses lowers cd from 2 to 2/(1.4)=1.43 seconds.

Inflicted was on the right track about stacking bonuses seeming to have decreased effectiveness if u judge by cd, but looking at hits/second it is perfectly linear additive growth.

When balancing heroes please keep in mind that agility also increases atk speed and since all bonuses to it are additive based on initial attack speed, an item that gives 30% atk speed for instance won't be nearly as impressive on a hero that has 200 agi already, since that will only change his cooldown from initial/(1+2)=>triple default to initial/(1+2+.3)=> 3.3xdefault, which the player will see as a 10% increase in how fast their char attacks.

Hope I was clear and did not bore u with too long a reply

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.