--( TERRAINING CONTEST 2 )-( theme: AFTERMATH )--

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Theme: Aftermath.

You will make 2 terrains: a scenery of how a place was in the past, in its glorious time; the second shot will show the same place, but wasted, be it from a catastrophe, decay over time or some godly power.
This time we will grade the way you followed the theme!
We expect creativity and imagination!

Rules:

- Judges can compete!

The system is explained below, in the section that describes the winner selecting methods.

- No imports are allowed.

Everyone can import some high-poly models and do a stunning terrain, but will you make the same stunning terrain with the original Warcraft III doodads?

- The terrain has to be done specifically for this contest.

You are not allowed to submit older works.

- The submissions will be composed of two screenshot of your terrain. Both screenshots have to be taken at the same angle! Any pair of screenshots that does not respect this rule will be disqualified.

Because your terrain will be judged from that screenshots, make sure you submit the best ones you can get!

- The screenshots will be sent to [email protected]!

You are not allowed to post them here or to disclose, by any means, which screenshot is yours. Anybody who does that will be disqualified.
Also, I suggest you to attach them as files to the e-mails. It is the best way to go since that way the image is not shrank down (image-uploading websites usually do that). I am not to be blamed if your image is small and not so detailed.

If the submission is the final one, state it in the e-mail.

- You will be allowed to submit WIPs.

The system will be explained below.

- You are not allowed to use any other programs than the Blizzard World Editor and WE enhancers (WEU, WE-no-limits, etc).

Using an image editing program results in disqualification. However, contestants are allowed to crop their images. If they leave the images un-cropped, I will do that, anyway.

- The deadline is the October, 10th 2008.

The winner will be chosen in two stages:

I. A public poll will be posted and everyone, except the judges, will be able to vote for their favorite submission. Each vote counts as 2 points.
II. The judges will grade each screenshot based on the criteria posted below.

There are 4 judges: 2-P, Ghostwind, Pineapple, Smith_S9.
Each submission will be graded by 3 judges, at random (except for the judges' submissions; a judge submission will be graded by the other 3 judges). I will be the only one to know the authors of the terrains.

Then, I will take the average out of those 3 judge grades and voting points for each submission.

Judging Criteria:

Originality: ?/20 - Is your terrain something we never saw? Did you choose an interesting subject?
Atmosphere: ?/10 - These points are given for good usage of elements that enhance the atmosphere. Example: proper use of fog.
General Appeal: ?/20 - Points earned by a high grade of detail and variety, a good camera angle, etc...
Theme: ?/20 - Did you followed the theme correct enough? Is the terrain still recognized in the second shot?

The maximum grade you can get is 70 points.

WIP system.

If you want to get feedback for your terrain, you will have to send your WIPs at [email protected], but state in the e-mail that it is a WIP. At fixed dates, I will post all the WIPs here, without giving away the authors. Users will then be able to criticize your work and give you input on how to improve it.

Warning: if any author responds to feedback given to his work, thus giving himself away, his submission will be disqualified!

WIP posting dates: 24th of September, 30th of September, 5th of October.​

Prizes:

First Place: reputation from all 4 judges;
Second Place: reputation from 2-P, Pineapple and Smith_S9;
Third Place: reputation from Pineapple and Smith_S9.

Contestants (only the contestants that have submitted a final work are listed here; WIPs are not counted):

Code:
-Accname
-Battlemapsta
-Belgarath
-D.V.D
-Demotry241
-Dinowc
-Draphoelix
-Exide
-bananaHUNT
-neckface
-SerraAvenger
-TeeAichSee
-Uberplayer
-UndeadDragon

POLL

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another terraining contest! Sign me up :)

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I was so amazed by the last contest that I've decided to try it too...
Ill try to make some good looking ones ;)

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Sign me up as well. :thup: :)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
thank god ive been waiting the longest time for this! im starting right now! and its a weekend so i got plenty of time! <3 smith

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I'm in but I can't send images. My images won't go so I'll send you the map with the camera's made.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
hes not saying ur allowed hes saying like "any1 can point a gun and shoot" im sending my images right now

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Contradiction? :nuts:

That's a bit weird worded :p. Initially, I wrote it some other way, but after 2-P and AceHart reviewed that thread and fixed grammar and spelling errors, it came out like that. And I just CnP'ed it for this contest.

Now that you say, it does look like a contradiction :D. Thanks for pointing it!

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Warning: if any author responds to feedback given to his work, thus giving himself away, his submission will be disqualified!

Can you explain that a bit more? I didn't really get that.

Also, judges will also join this contest, all of you will?

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score

It means: You can't tell anyone what map/maps you made.
If you do, you will be disqualified.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
but you will make the same stunning terrain with the original Warcraft III doodads?

Should be:
but will you make the same stunning terrain with the original Warcraft III doodads?

Or get rid of the Question Mark (?) :p

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
sign me up i will take this challenge

isn't there any rules for terrain size?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Sing me in! i will do my best.

well how much terrain can you show with 1 screen shot? i think the quality will be very bad if you take a screen shot of a 256x256 sized map.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Should be:

Or get rid of the Question Mark (?) :p

Thanks!

Terrain size? You're sending in 2 screenshots... How can I find out the terrain size from 2 screenshots?

Let's see a hypotethical dialogue:

'Feedbacker: In pic 2 the author should add some fog, it would emphasize the terrain.

Author: Oh, thank you! I knew I forgot something!'

From this point I think we can realise that that guy did pic 2. That gets you disqualified.

I will probably join and I have no idea about the others. 2-P told me he will not, but who knows, maybe he will change its mind.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Bahhhh, I thought this time the terrain contest would include imports :(

Their totally needs to be a terrain contest where the main focus is that the terrain is actually playable, considering that map making is the reason terraining exists... imports don't make a terrain, they only enhance it.

....maybe next time

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Wow I have a great idea! I make some random terrain and then for the aftermath picture, I just cover everything in blight!

Awesome! Not. Don't even think about it. -.-'

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow I have a great idea! I make some random terrain and then for the aftermath picture, I just cover everything in blight!

Awesome! Not. Don't even think about it. -.-'

Thanks for the idea :rolleyes:

I'd enter if I was remotely good at huge terraining and stuff, but I'm not.
I can terrain very well for maps where it needs to be playable and appropriate.. but not awesome stuff like this :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.