[Triggered Spell] Sonic Boom, need help

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first post :)D) and I need help with a spell I'm trying to make. What I'm trying to do is make a circular AoE spell (such as War Stomp) cast at range. For the process I've figured out that I need to make a spell that will create a dummy unit, give the unit my AoE spell and then cast it, and remove the dummy unit. I also really want the player casting the spell to be able to see the area of the spell before casting it (like Flamestrike or Blizzard).

Right now to see the spell's affected area I'm using the Channel spell (I have Data - Target Type set to Point Target and Stats - Area of Effect set to 225 [the AoE of my War Stomp]), and that part is working fine. My problem is that the dummy unit is not being correctly created: it either spawns at the center of the playable area or not at all. My trigger isn't correctly detecting where the spell is being cast.

Trigger, as of now:
Sonic Boom
Trigger:
  • Events:
    • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Conditions:
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Sonic Boom (Channel)
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Casting Unit)) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing 0.00 degrees
      • Unit - Add Sonic Boom to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - War Stomp
      • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game

Once again, if you can keep it so that it shows the targeted area while still choosing to cast it, that would be awesome.

Red_drake

Reaction score
i dont know details... but as hes spwning at the center of the map or not at all... some options are:

by time the spell is finised casting, the 'target point of ability being cast' no longer exists
your canceling the spell before the channel time is up, thus causing the unit to not spawn at all

some fixes: make the event 'begins the effect of an ability' instead. (this will cause the effects to run at the begining of the spell, instead at the end of the channel) so if you want it to be an actual channeled spell, this wont work

edit: ok, so i just realised i fail at reading and you want to keep it channeled... so that wont work..

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! :D

No, now it works perfectly! Thanks a bunch! All I meant by keeping it channeled was to use the Channel ability for the initial part of it. It's so I (or other players) can see the area the spell affects and who it'll affect when cast at a certain point, like the normal AoE selection thingy for Blizzard (the ability :p) or Flamestrike.

Sidenote 1: How do I make the fancy trigger thingy that everyone uses that looks like the Trigger Editor but on the interwebz?
Sidenote 2: With the improved trigger, will I need to worry about leaking or anything?
Sidenote 3: How do I give rep? :D

OneBadPsycho

Reaction score
Sidenote 1: How do I make the fancy trigger thingy that everyone uses that looks like the Trigger Editor but on the interwebz?
Sidenote 2: With the improved trigger, will I need to worry about leaking or anything?
Sidenote 3: How do I give rep? :D

1. Wrap your code in WC3 GUI tags {WC3} Code {/WC3} ( { being [ and } being ] )

2. You leak a location:

Trigger:
  • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Casting Unit)) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing 0.00 degrees

Fix it by adding the location to a variable and remove it with this custom script after use: call RemoveLocation(udg_VARIABLEname)

3. Click the small scales in the corner of the users' post you want to give reputation.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
The created will never cast the spell, cuz you remove it already. just add 1 second expiration timer. You also leak

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.