US News University bans use of ‘Mr.’ and ‘Ms.’ in all correspondence

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Professors and other employees at the City University of New York’s Graduate Center have been forbidden from addressing students and prospective students with the title “Mr.” and “Ms.” because, campus leaders say, the terms may be offensive.

“Effective Spring 2015, the (graduate center’s) policy is to eliminate the use of gendered salutations and references in correspondence to students, prospective students, and third parties,” Louise Lennihan, interim provost, states to employees in a recent memo. “Accordingly, Mr. and Ms. should be omitted from salutations.”

Lennihan instructs staffers to interpret the new policy “as broadly as possible,” that it applies to “all types of correspondence, such as: all parts of any letter including address and salutation, mailing labels, bills or invoices, and any other forms or reports,” states the memo, a copy of which was provided to The College Fix by school spokeswoman Tanya Domi.

Rather than using “Mr.” or “Ms.,” staff are instructed to refer to students by his or her full name. The policy will “ensure a respectful, welcoming, and gender-inclusive learning environment … [and] accommodate properly the diverse population of current and prospective students,” Lennihan states in the memo.

The Graduate Center is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York. It employees more than 140 teachers educating about 4,200 students in graduate and doctoral programs, according to its website.

Read more here. (The College Fix)

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
From my experience, nobody uses mr or or ms anyway. Professors either prefer a first names, professor x, or dr x.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't always take offense, but when I do it's when someone poorly attempts to show respect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.