A paper I wrote on Friendship

Mahucharn

I wear a fez now, fezzes are cool.
Reaction score
Well the title says it all, enjoy. I did pass this to my friends and some of them responded, names withheld for security reasons, you can never be too careful! Comment on our writing, and then add your own if you want.

Friendship: A word commonly used by everyone, but what is the real meaning of it all? To many people friendship is just a word tossed around with no real meaning, to me however, things are different then that. To understand the concept of friendship you must first understand the concept of being a friend. In my mind, a friend is a person, regardless of age, sex, race, etc., that supports you through everything. If one person is not always there for you then maybe its time to ask yourself, is that person really your friend. A friend is someone who you get along with, that takes care of you, and ultimately plays the roll of a family member at school, and in your social life. If a friend is going through hard times, a friend would be the person would help bring them through and give them confidence, and usually would help them understand someone. Lastly, a friend is a person who sticks up for you when you are being made fun of, being picked on, or going through other struggling times. Friendship is ultimately being a friend, and doing everything that a good friend should do. This might be repetitive, but it’s the mind of an 8th grader and what I think about friendship.

-Mahucharn, 13 Years old, February 23, 2008

“A real friend loves all their other friends”-Name withheld February 25, 2008

“A Friend is a gift from God”-Unknown-Name withheld February 25, 2008

A follow-up
By Name withheld

“I agree. Friends are the people who are there for you. They take care of you. Clearly, they are your family; your brothers, sisters, and, in some odd cases, your parents.
But that’s just it. They are your family. And sometimes, let’s be honest, we don’t get along with our families, or a sacrifice is made to help them in life. Think about it: most of you have siblings. How often do you argue with them? How much of a priority is it for you to get on their nerves? For some of you, how often to you fight with your parents? Girls, seriously, this is the complicated age. Sometimes, you and your mom can’t stand each other. You blow up, cry, and say sorry. It’s the same with friendships. You fight with your brothers and sisters and parents. The disputes that you have in the hallways are totally natural. Snapping at a friend who’s too worried about getting in trouble when all that could possibly occur is a little lecture from a teacher, soon to be forgotten (and please, let me apologize ahead of time) happens… a lot. The thing is, the thing we need to realize, is that we’re just trying to take care of each other. And at the same time, we’re trying to take care of ourselves, too. When you fight, you’re not going to go help each other out in that situation- you’re pissed! (yes, I can swear, just not through my mouth) Other times, you don’t want to hurt the person. With all of your will power, the last thing you want to do is hurt them. You have to think- which would hurt more? You know what’s right. You know what you have to do. Perhaps you’re the person who needs the lesson. Perhaps the other seems unreasonable, but are they really? What if it’s you who needs to open your eyes to how you’re acting and to who you are. Maybe, if you look, you’ll see that you have room for self-improvement, and you’ll see that your friends, your family, are really just trying to help you. Maybe they’re just trying to take care of you.
Now you think, “Why the Hell would they do that?”
Easy answer:
They love you.
All wounds heal, guys. All of them patch up. Some just take more time then others. For those that take too long… well, that means that you’re being stubborn and you’re refusing to see otherwise. If stubborn is what you are… there’s your little room for self-improvement, though it’s not a terrible thing . You can’t get everything that you want. Not when love is so complicated.
So c’mon, guys. We have four months left. Less, in fact. That’s when we start to split. Some of us will have years together afterwards, and some… won’t. We are a family. We need to forgive and forget, like families do. We need to let go, open our eyes, and let each other live. Our choices are our own. It’s all up to us. And we have each other to help us get through it.
Now, I’ll be frank, that wasn’t exactly lyrical. It was super choppy, too, and I have no idea whether or not it got the point across! I’ve written better… believe me… but this is short notice! I bet it sounded really cheesy, too… ha… that would be me… and the dot-dot-dot’s… that’s probably a classic move of mine…
Oh well.
You guys get it though, right?
I love you all! That’s what I’m trying to say!”

-Another 8th grader with a few problems of her own
Name withheld

By Name Withheld

Friends are people who listen to you, especially when you are having a hard time with something. Even though it may be hard to deal with, (As it tends to be when some of my friends complain to me -_-) a good friend is able to advise he person on the subject, however knowledgeable of that subject. No, nodding and saying “yes” and “no” do not count, neither do uh-huh’s and swearing along with the person. What really helps is comforting the friend, (Most commonly used by those of the female persuasion) offering the friend something, or just plain being with the friend (Most commonly used by boys… hmm…I see why boys commit more suicide now). But let’s move on to something else.
I don’t want to run off the page here, so I’ll make this quick. Friends are people who help their friends, comfort them, and allow them to prosper without the interruptions of the outside dangers. A bit of a quid pro quo situation if you will, not in the sense of equality, but protecting each other, probably more like a “got your back” kind of thing. Well that’s it, hope you guys don’t hit me too hard. See ya!

Technomancer

Reaction score
I liked it, and you're 13 so I'll forgive the grammar errors (this time :D) but I think you're overclassifying it and pre-judging in many cases.

For instance, if you are always there for your friend, and your friend for you, what happens when your interests conflict? Are they not your friend because they choose to be an indvidual?

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
I think it's a good message, but frankly, a lot of this is highly redundant (or simply stating the obvious). One such example is:

Friendship is ultimately being a friend

But, all that aside, I do agree with most of what was said.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.