Ability Voting Poll!

Kyuft

Reaction score
Hey Peeps,
I am making a cool custom map and game that I think will be fairly popular. The game contains many heroes. The hero that I am currently working on is Col. Nukel. He looks like a marauder with a cyan tint and has low attack speed but high damage. I cannot think of any abilities for him so I am going to you guys for help. You can either post a cool ability, vote for an existing idea, or both. After you have voted, If you would like to change your vote, just edit your original post. The top ability (or even top 2) will be implemented in my game. You will get full credit! I am hoping that this thread will increase the activity of the forum, and help give me and other people ideas for hero abilities.
-Kyuft

VOTING ENDS January 11, 2012 at 7pm EST!

Abilities:
Siretu's Protective Barricade: 2 = WINNER!
Leap: 1
Overload: 0
"On the move": 0
Energy round: 0
Air backup!: 0
Automated Repair Kit: 1
Creep grenade: 1
Experimental Nuke: 0
Forcefield Mine: 1
Time Warp: 1

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, I would suggest you spice your marauder up in a different way than to tint it cyan. Personally, I would experiment with texture swaps since few maps currently do this and it makes it look more professional.

Basically, a texture swap is when you change the texture of a unit to another texture. It's what I use in Banelings to create the different baneling types seen [video=youtube;ltwZauQfFrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwZauQfFrk[/video]

You can find a tutorial about it here.

I also wanted to contribute with an ability to the thread. Unfortunately, I have no great ideas at the moment so I'll suggest one of the ideas I used for my first map, Square Control.

Basically, it is a morph that makes the marauder dig up a protective barricade of dirt around it. The marauder becomes immobile but gains extra armor. Here's a picture of it in action although it might be hard to see what's actually going on:
xHvFf.jpg

My version just had the barricade pop-up out of thin air but if you did some extra work you could do it real nice by playing the Marauder's Fidget Variation 02 animation while gradually increasing the scale of the dirt barricade. The model I used for the dirt barricade was "Assets\Doodads\MeinhoffCrater\MeinhoffCrater_00.m3" or something.

Jokker

Reaction score
So you want him to leave kind of a "massive" impression, with high damage and slow attack speed? Am I right? Like when he shoots, he leaves an impact : D

Well I got several ideas for you.. I would think of things that would be more pew pew padaboom crazy, but I don't know the image of your map. If it wants realistic ideas (related to units "impression") then these are what I got for you. If you want ANYTHING, I could think of several ideass that would be cool, but not very realistic.

I marked the ideas I liked the most in Green

So again, these try to be realistic for a unit that looks like a marauder.

Leap
He is a big unit, make his heaviness count. Make him leap through air to another position (passing cliffs/terrain), creating a small crater, damaging and stunning units around him, while he lands.

Another idea with Leap would be to rocketboost him forward (towards his facing direction) with a flame effect, when the skill is used. And if he has an impact he would deal damage. This would be initiation and get-away skill.

Overload
"Overloads his suit", so the suit explodes. Basically explodes, dealing damage to himself and others around him. Less to himself, more to others. Maybe even leaving a slow effect for a second or two to everyone, as a "dizziness".

"On the move"
The unit slowly gains movement speed as he starts to move (with a max cap). Lets say he gets 3% movement speed every second til its 15% or something like that. Also, he gains attack speed as he is "one the move" and ready to kill. When the unit stops the damage and movement speed will start to tick down again at the same rate it was boosted.

This means, he starts to move with 100% speed, every second gets 3% speed bonus and like 3% damage bonus for 5 seconds. Then when he stops, every second he stays still, the damage and speed will tick down.

Energy round
Shoots a bullet/rocket into the enemy. The Energy bullet/rocket stays in the enemys body. This shot deals less damage than usual (maybe 75% usual damage), but lets other units energy to "leak out", so Nukel gets it. Basically an energy drain with small damage shot. He has to stay at a correct distance though, because the bullet/rocket can't send the energy too far.

Air backup!
Calls in airships on target point, so these aircrafts fly in, bomb, and fly out. Easy enough. Deals damage.

Automated Repair Kit
Calls in something like a MULE, but lets make it A.R.K (Automated Repair Kit). Its a non controllable unit (maybe looking like spider-mine) that comes in and "heals" Nukel. (Repairs his suit")

Creep grenade
The many years in battles have trained Nukel to use his enemys tricks agains them. Grenade explodes, covers a large area with creep for lets say 5 seconds, which slows units and makes their attack speed slower.

If you want something that would be cool-looking, though:

Experimental nuke
Plants a nuke in the area, afte 3/4/5 seconds deals massive area damage (VERY massive, coz it is easily dodged). May leave cool effects as it is "experimental" and its a nuke. Maybe makes cool crystals or energy effects. If you plan to use this then you have to tune some of the other abilities with this. This means that he would have this nuking ability, but other abilities would not deal so much damage. They would slow or make him more mobile, because he needs to keep the people in the area for quite the time.

Forcefield mines
Puts down a mine. This mine will run to enemy unit, when it comes close, and creates forcefields around the enemy at impact. Would look cool, and be useful to catch people off guard. These forcefields would keep the enemy in bounds for lets say 5 or so seconds. This idea comes from Siretas banelings, so ask him if you want to use this.

Time Warp
If used, makes Nukel go back in time. But only him. This warp brings him back in time 5 or 6 seconds - makes him have the exact same health and energy he had 5/6 seconds ago. This would be useful if you get burst damage and need to heal quickly. Or if you want to use ability but don't have the energy.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I think, the more ideas, the merrier! : D Have fun and pick the best! : )

Kyuft

Reaction score
Siretu, Thank you for your ideas. I will definitely use that.
Jokker, I will put those up for voting and put a vote for each of the green ones. I would like to hear some of your unrealistic ideas because I don't want this map to be very realistic.

Jokker

Reaction score
How many abilities per hero? Is it something like DotA or is it something else? I used to make hero defenses, I'm pretty good at putting together a whole hero ability lineup/skillset.. I'll think of something today, but let me know what kind of a map it is : D

If you want, you can add me on msn: [email protected] or Skype: reaperofsoul ( i know.. i was young xD ), and I would gladly discuss hero ideas with you, or I'll pass on some of the ideas I used but didn't publish : )

Kyuft

Reaction score
Jokker,
My map is sort of like space zombies, but each hero only gets 2 abilities. I will be at school for most of the day, but when I have time, I will add you on skype. However, I don't want to steal any abilities that you plan to or already used. I want it to be mostly all new. I can talk at around 8-10 EST because I am on Hawaii Time. +Rep for the help!

Kyuft

Reaction score
I'm going to have to put in a vote for Siretu's Protective Barricade because of the creativity and cool effects/flexibility.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.