TD Achievement TD

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
So I was bored one day, and I decided to fill up the spare time over the holidays between doing anything interesting I'd do something I used to enjoy quite thoroughly - make TFT maps! So ignoring the fact that most of my friends had uninstalled TFT and moved on, I started making it. I'd done the terrain, had this idea for a map, and told my friend "hey, I've started making a TD." His response was "make an Achievement TD, gogogo". I thought "what a brilliant idea!" and decided to make it. So, behold:

Achievement TD!

TOWERS
Achievement TD currently features over one hundred towers (including upgrades), and more will be implemented in future. Most towers cost achievement points to build and upgrade, as well as gold. Some towers can be won through the "Tower Lottery" feature, and others can drop from bosses and certain units. Items can be built (and in future, possibly, crafted) and given to towers to give them extra powers. Most slowing towers feature a "Random Attack" ability which causes them to fire randomly, increasing the amount of targets the tower can have slowed at one time. Abilities that some other towers possess include Thunder Clap, Shockwave, Mug (bashes and steals gold), and passives such as Critical Strike and Frost Attack.

MODES
You can choose between 5 different difficulty modes - Easy, Normal, Hard, Extreme and Impossible. Easy is designed to be almost impossible to lose, and Impossible is designed to be almost impossible to win. The modes in between are simply stepping stones.

ACHIEVEMENTS
So what exactly is an achievement? Well, basically, completing miscellaneous tasks unlocks achievements, which reward achievement points and occasionally other rewards based on the difficulty of the achievement. The number of achievements you have is also related to other things such as the strength of certain towers and the strength of your Panda hero on waves 36-38 (I'll explain later :D). Some of the achievements available include earning a certain amount of gold, killing a certain amount of units, completing a special feature of a wave or building a certain combination of towers. As of now there are 35 achievements in-game.

SPECIAL WAVES
There are 41 waves in total in-game at the moment. A few waves are occupied entirely by cinematics, some by cinematics with a boss mob as well. Some waves have certain special features, though. Here is a list of the special waves in-game at the moment (there is a chance that more may be added in future)

Wave 4: A dwarven rifleman Joe Dynamite is being held captive by a group of hermit crabs, destroying the prison in which he is contained releases him. Help him survive the attack from hermit crabs to rescue him and complete an achievement!

Wave 8: Destroy the box the blood elves are carrying with them to obtain a magical item.

Wave 11: Cinematic, plus an interestingly designed boss fight. The boss will channel a spell to pull the wave spawning portal closer to the end of the maze. Kill him before he can finish casting this spell, or your maze will suddenly become alot smaller!

Wave 16: Rescue a blood elf from an orc chasing him, then choose to either spare his life or kill him. Either choice will yield a reward, but both rewards are completely different.

Wave 22: A cinematic, followed by a dialog box allowing you to choose whether you would like to fight on Arche and Dave's side or Aendri's. The choice you make will effect the next 3 levels of the game.

Wave 23-25: Two sets of mobs will run from either side of the maze and engage in combat in the middle. Your towers must assist the side you have chosen in defeating the opposing team.

Wave 26: A cinematic, followed by a boss.

Wave 27: A cinematic, followed by a damage test

Wave 36-38: You will be given a Panda hero and fight in 3 boss fights without the assistance of your towers. The strength of your hero is based on the amount of achievements you have earned.

Wave 41: The final cinematic.

STORYLINE?!
A main feature of Achievement TD is its storyline. Yes, that's right, a TD with a storyline. Certain points of the tower defense contain cutscenes and cinematics with commentary from the main characters of the storyline based on my friends Dave, Gnollking, Aendri and Lokilokii (and me, as well). But fear not! For players who enjoy this TD often and completely despise the cutscenes after watching them 20 times, there is a No Cinematic mode selectable at startup allowing you to disable the cinematics for the entire course of the game, leaving you to enjoy the TD without delays.

The map:
nxndsm.jpg

A: Mobs come from here.
B: Mobs head to here.
C: These buildings list the achievements you have earned, and the achievements you are yet to earn.
D: Item Shop I
E: Item Shop II
F: The bricksmith, which in future will allow you to craft items to give to your towers.

WE WANT YOU!
If you have any ideas for towers, achievements or special waves, feel free to say them here. I'll credit and +rep you if I end up using your idea. Due to the nature of the Tower Lottery and achievements, I could keep creating towers in this game forever. Item ideas are also appreciated.

If theres anything I've missed or anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to inform me/ask! I will hopefully be continually updating this post and answering questions. Hope you look forward to the beta release!

PLANNED FEATURES FOR FUTURE VERSIONS:
Fun miscellaneous achievements which don't give achievement point rewards, but other stupid things like titles and joke abilities and such. This will not effect gameplay, just give you something to mess around with if you're waiting for something or have some spare time during the game.
More achievements, of course.
Random item drops from mobs and bricksmithing, an ability which will allow you to create items to give to your towers.
More exciting waves!
More ultimate towers.
Increasing the length of tower trees, so that first-level element towers can ascend to level "V" and second-level element towers to level "III".
Range test ability.
Levels with mana, making use of the feedback ability.
Tower abilities and perhaps a 'command centre' with usable abilities on it.
Traps!
Abilities that are activated at certain achievement levels, some on towers and some on your builder.
New game modes.

BEHOLD!
Download version v1.10 below:
http://www.epicwar.com/maps/83807/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=115819&prev=deleted%3D1%26u%3DZiggyMcjoney%26status%3Dall
Official website for the map: achievementtd.webs.com
Please report all bugs, suggestions etc to [email protected], OR to this post.

Be warned that there may be a few bugs here and there, but overall this release has seemed stable enough to deem it ready for a release. NOTE: This map is protected!

Enjoy, post feedback here!

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Some of those ideas are actually really cool, I especially like the gold one. Thanks for your support :p

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Why not start with a hero builder. The builder can gain exp from the tower kills and maybe he will become the panda in the Panda hero level, then the more stuff you kill the stronger the Panda will be. And if you implement that, maybe make Achievements give the Panda some abilities.
Now, an idea about upgrading stuff, buying items etc. Why not make them have an Achievement Requirement, you need to complete certain achievements to buy it/upgrade etc.
Finally, an idea for towers. Why not make the towers gain an aura for each Achievement, say you finish the first achievement, your towers attack faster. The second, they have more damage. The third, enemies move more slowly etc.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Why not start with a hero builder. The builder can gain exp from the tower kills and maybe he will become the panda in the Panda hero level, then the more stuff you kill the stronger the Panda will be. And if you implement that, maybe make Achievements give the Panda some abilities.
Now, an idea about upgrading stuff, buying items etc. Why not make them have an Achievement Requirement, you need to complete certain achievements to buy it/upgrade etc.
Finally, an idea for towers. Why not make the towers gain an aura for each Achievement, say you finish the first achievement, your towers attack faster. The second, they have more damage. The third, enemies move more slowly etc.

Hrm, I get where you're coming from with the hero builder thing, but I'm not going to use that idea. I will most likely have abilities on the builder that can only be activated when certain achievements are unlocked, but I probably won't have the builder be a hero.

Some items/towers already have an achievement requirement, but thanks for the idea anyway :D

Might actually use the third idea, although maybe in a different way to what you mean. In fact, I might not use it, but either way you just gave me a really cool idea for towers. Thanks :p

Thanks for your support :D

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
I can't imagine an initial release to be that far away, but there are still some major bugs and annoying problems that I have yet to solve. Before I can release it, I have to fix those and finish up the tower trees as well. I'll be hopeful and say that I can have it done within the week :). I work on it basically every day unless I'm doing something more important (ie, today), and I'm not THAT inefficient a worker, so I think that estimate is correct.

I HOPE that estimate is correct :p

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Hey, I'm back :p

Some cool ideas there. Traps are already planned, though, but thanks for the idea anyway :D.

Gonna get back to work on it soon. Thanks for your support.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Ok, since only one of my previous ideas might be used, I am coming back :D
Some ideas for Achievements:
Speedy Massacre: Kill all the creeps in the wave within the time before they use Divine Shield and escape!
When Monsters Attack: The creeps suddenly decided to kill your builder! Kill the creeps before you builder dies.
All In: Gives you a dialog to choose whether to put everything at sake. If you choose to do so, a super strong creep will spawn. If it reaches the end, you lose. If you kill it, however, you will gain a large amount of gold and a powerful item.
Stalling for Reinforcements: A powerful creep will spawn and you will have to stall it for as long as possible. The creep has alot of health and alot of regeneration. Your aim is to try and destroy the "Wheels" (the thing might be a tank). Whenever he loses a wheel, he moves more slowly. Destroy all the wheels and try to stop him until reinforcements arrive. Gives you some units to use/some more tower choices.

Other ideas:
Tower Achievements- Each tower can have their own achievements. Say when a tower kills x units, it will gain a bonus or something.
Start Tower- This is not really a kind of tower. Basically, this tower causes something to happen at the start of each level/the next level. For example, there could be a tower that causes all creeps of the next level to start with 90% health.

Thats all for now I guess, thanks for reading :p

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Ok, since only one of my previous ideas might be used, I am coming back :D
Some ideas for Achievements:
Speedy Massacre: Kill all the creeps in the wave within the time before they use Divine Shield and escape!
When Monsters Attack: The creeps suddenly decided to kill your builder! Kill the creeps before you builder dies.
All In: Gives you a dialog to choose whether to put everything at sake. If you choose to do so, a super strong creep will spawn. If it reaches the end, you lose. If you kill it, however, you will gain a large amount of gold and a powerful item.
Stalling for Reinforcements: A powerful creep will spawn and you will have to stall it for as long as possible. The creep has alot of health and alot of regeneration. Your aim is to try and destroy the "Wheels" (the thing might be a tank). Whenever he loses a wheel, he moves more slowly. Destroy all the wheels and try to stop him until reinforcements arrive. Gives you some units to use/some more tower choices.

Other ideas:
Tower Achievements- Each tower can have their own achievements. Say when a tower kills x units, it will gain a bonus or something.
Start Tower- This is not really a kind of tower. Basically, this tower causes something to happen at the start of each level/the next level. For example, there could be a tower that causes all creeps of the next level to start with 90% health.

Thats all for now I guess, thanks for reading :p

Some cool wave ideas there. And I do like the Start Tower idea as well :D I think I'll fit that in somewhere eventually.

Thanks for your support :D.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Bump for avid supporters of this project :p.

A lot of balance changes have been done to towers, and some towers have been altered to make them a bit more exciting. After I make the ultimate-tier towers and do a bit more bug testing and fixing (when testers log on =|) then this game should be about ready to be released! Hoping to get all that done within 2-3 days.

Ideas for ultimate towers are much appreciated.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Exciting bump!

You can now download a release version of the map. Check the bottom of the title post.

Have fun, post feedback, and stuff! If you spot any bugs, do not hesitate to tell me and I will work on fixing them ASAP.

Thanks for all your support! Sorry if I took longer than you expected :p

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Nice. Sounds like an awesome map. Reminds me of XBox 360 achievements. :D

I will play it when I can.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Haven't used any of your ideas yet, but I do plan to in future versions :).

Thanks for your feedback :D.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Cool, did you bug out at level 23?

Tested it public today and we had problems with unit movement on level 23, which is a bit of a shame. Going to fix it quickly now if I can.

Thankyou very much for your feedback, glad to see everyone I've shown this too likes it :D.

Started working on updating tower trees today, but my map seems to have become corrupted so I've been forced to undo all the changes I did :(.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Bump!

Map has been updated to v1.01. Featuring HEAPS of new upgrades (all first-level element towers now go to level V and all second-level element towers to level III) and balance and bug fixes, this should hopefully be entirely free of major game-breaking bugs!

Enjoy :D download link is in first post.

EDIT: Updated to 1.03 cause of bugs.

I am currently in the process of balancing the game, so I would appreciate any replays or reports that anyone has about imbalances and such. Tests have concluded that this game is severely out of balance, heh :p.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
Just finished playing it.
I thought this was a really fun td, one of the best ones in a while (and not just because it doesn't rip off Wintermaul)
Although on the second orb battle after the cinimatic my towers kinda dissapeared, not gone and i have to rebuild. just the models were gone, the towers attacked and all and got back to normal once i upgraded them, not a major bug.
Near the end i found it hard to get achievement points and had nothing to do with the 1.5k plus i had.
all in all good td though

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Just finished playing it.
I thought this was a really fun td, one of the best ones in a while (and not just because it doesn't rip off Wintermaul)
Although on the second orb battle after the cinimatic my towers kinda dissapeared, not gone and i have to rebuild. just the models were gone, the towers attacked and all and got back to normal once i upgraded them, not a major bug.
Near the end i found it hard to get achievement points and had nothing to do with the 1.5k plus i had.
all in all good td though

Aware of the transparency bug, I shall remember to fix that one.

Yeah, achievements are a little short at the moment, I am working on thinking of and implementing more :p.

Thankyou for your feedback! Glad you liked it :D.

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Bump for moar feedback

Gonna work on balancing and adding more achievements, hopefully when the next version is released it will be far superior to the current one.

Still looking for feedback slash replays :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.