Action Affecting Any Item in Inventory

Gryffin

Reaction score
I have a trigger that causes an attack to pick pocket the attacked unit. I want the attacking unit to steal a random item being carried by the attacked unit. Units have varying inventory sizes, so I can't just say random number between 1 and 6. Using random number between 1 and "number of items carried by unit" does not work either.

I've tried many, many variations of actions involving items and none of them work properly.

Also, I want an item to be guranteed to be stolen without having to repeat the line of code. So if a unit has an inventory of 6, and is carrying 2 items in random slots, I want the thief to be guranteed to steal one of those two items when he attacks. Everything other than this one line of code works perfectly.

I've also tried using "random level -1 any-class item type," but that won't work either. The items I'm testing this with have "Include as Random Choice" set to true. An item will be stolen occassionally, but it's random, not guranteed. I really just need a way to say "Drop Any Random Item Being Carried By Attacked Unit from Attacked Unit."

Thanks in advance.

Justice-BR

Reaction score
you want a complex task

you will need a complex system to do it.

---------------------
still reading?

ok, you need a attachment system (there are plenty on resources subforum.) that literally attaches some variables to units.

If you think you can implenet that, proceed.

Second, using the attachement system it's easy to make a variable array to track all itens carried by an unit

and random select from that when it's target by your ability

OR

You may use the custom value field on each unit and set it to number of slots.
them use that custom value on the random formula.

drop item on slot number (random 1 to Custom Value of targeted unit)

Nexor

Reaction score
I'd suggest you to make a loop.

The loop will increase with 1 and set the integer value to 1 when it is bigger than 6.
You only have to set it's initial value to random and just check if there is an item in that slot.
Here's the trigger in JASS:

JASS:
library RandomItem

function UnitItemRandom takes unit whichunit returns item
    local integer i = GetRandomInt(1,6)
    local integer j = i

loop
        if i > 6 then
            set i = 1
        else
            set i = i + 1
        endif
        exitwhen UnitItemInSlot(whichunit,i) != null or i == j
    endloop

return UnitItemInSlot(whichunit,i)
endfunction

endlibrary

You only need to create a CustomScript action if you are using GUI and write the following line:

Code:
set udg_<Your Item Variable> = UnitItemRandom(<Your Unit Variable>)

jomik

Reaction score
I think it'd work :p But maybe you should explain what you're doing :p Just for the heck of it :D
Also, would you mind telling me where you'd put such a library codeblock? They seem usefull? You put it in the Map's Custom Script Code or what? - You know the one you can write in when you select the map name in the trigger editor?

Nexor

Reaction score
With this library thingie there you could make a new trigger convert it to custom text and copy this into that blank trigger.

The starter of this thread asked for a random item returner function.

I loop through all items, like he tried first, but I start from a random slot, that's what makes it random. When the slotnumber reaches 7 it will set the index back to 1 and the loop will terminate when there is an item in the slot or if the loop ran 6 times.

jomik

Reaction score
I see :p But how do you make sure that this Library trigger is loaded before the trigger that needs to use it? :O

Nexor

Reaction score
AFAIK library means that it will be added to the map header thus it will be loaded before any other non-library

jomik

Reaction score
Even if the trigger thingy is loaded after? :O Okay, thanks :D
What does AFAIK mean? :p

Nexor

Reaction score
As Far As I Know :p

Just use it :D:D and search after it :D I'm not really good at writing things I just have some other methods sometimes, that's all :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.