Arena An Angel Arena Revolution - The War of Souls

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
i read it all but kay....different goals that ive seen in 1 map...but kay its rare...and the duels 1vs1 3vs3 5vs5 is not really special...many maps has this....

sry for that...like i said in the post before (in the edit) i dont say your map will be bad or your idea is bad...the only thing i say is that i think it will be much work but not much response because your idea is not bad but not really unique...could be that i think this way because the text is not really detailed....

Well.... He should be defending himself on this, but when I modded an Angel arena map and derigged it and improved various systems it got really popular. Just because it seems to be unoriginal doesn't mean it is. It's all about presentation and execution.

Durandal said:
Can you code A.I. as well? I hope to make a fairly sophisticated one that will take over for players that leave, so the game isn't immediately ruined.

I've never really tried to make one, but I'd be willing to attempt it if I had alot of time to do this.

Durandal

Reaction score
We have all the time in the world

Do you want to brainstorm your own abilities for heroes?

I'm willing to let you help make them :D

You also don't have to code the A.I., I might have HeX do that

Renendaru

Reaction score
I could make up some I suppose. I had made some heroes for my past orpg that were a really good combination. Mostly need to find a good hybrid where they all chain together. While still making them useful so people don't just auto attack all the time.

Durandal

Reaction score
'Aight

Currently the heroes Roland and Cthulu are already finished

I haven't worked on too many heroes as I've been busy setting up some triggers and other things

That and I find it's best to take things slow, otherwise you burn out and don't get anything done

Renendaru

Reaction score
Mmm... Would this work for Calcifer?

Calcifer

Rushing star - Calcifer rushes to the targeted point burning the ground as he charges to his destination.

Fire Spread - Calcifer disperses his body to the near vicinity burning all those near him. If he kills a unit with this he gains additional damage for X seconds.

Burning Touch - All those who attack Calcifer are burned for X seconds for X damage each second. Additional attacks will stack the damage.

True Form - Calcifer's contract is lifted allowing him to unleash a hellish soul fire that is not dispersed until death onto his surrounding enemies. (Bosses have it for 30 seconds/10~20)

Durandal

Reaction score
Calcifer

Rushing star - Calcifer rushes to the targeted point burning the ground as he charges to his destination.

Fire Spread - Calcifer disperses his body to the near vicinity burning all those near him. If he kills a unit with this he gains additional damage for X seconds.

Burning Touch - All those who attack Calcifer are burned for X seconds for X damage each second. Additional attacks will stack the damage.

True Form - Calcifer's contract is lifted allowing him to unleash a hellish soul fire that is not dispersed until death onto his surrounding enemies. (Bosses have it for 30 seconds/10~20)

1. Starfire Rush

2. So he shoots out fire? He uses the crypt lord model, skinned to look all fiery, so how about he shoots spikes that deal fire damage?

3. Scintillating Carapace - Like spiked carapace, but instead of damage return, merely burns enemies who attack him, and adds armor

4. Heart of the Inferno

Otherwise, I like it :)

Renendaru

Reaction score
Well 2 is basically where he loses his form and spreads onto nearby enemies, and can't be casted without nearby enemies. Sort of like that one panda skill where it turns into 3 panda's. Except all the fires are locusted units. o.o

Durandal

Reaction score
Fangorn

Hurl - Picks up an enemy and hurls it through the air, violently damaging it upon impact and dazing it.

Land's Bond - Whenever Fangorn is stationary for more then two seconds, he extends roots into the ground, and gains extra hit point regeneration

Swat - Fangorn swats an enemy unit out of the way, causing it to slide a certain distance, stunning the target if it hit's anything along the way

Overgrowth - Fangorn stimulates the plants around him to grow like mad, and cause roots to burst from the ground, grab an enemy units and pull him underground for a short duration, after this, the enemy takes minor damage, loses damage, attack speed, and movement speed.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
We have all the time in the world

Do you want to brainstorm your own abilities for heroes?

I'm willing to let you help make them :D

You also don't have to code the A.I., I might have HeX do that

LOL more AI coding i dont think so i hated it now im doing it for another map too. All i can say is DONT USE CHANNEL AS A SPELL BASE. It makes it a bitch to code for the AI to use it.

Glorn2

Slap n' Tickle
Reaction score
Hey; I have been the editor of Custom Hero Arena for well over a year now, which is fighting with Angel Arena Allstars for the most popular map [from mapgnome] (it goes back and forth on a daily basis) And I play both arenas (though CHA a lot more) and well, if you want a map to get really popular, there are some things you need that are a LOT more important that having "cool hero skins".

1) Map Progression: In both CHA and AAA there is a lot of progression through the map. While CHA is a smaller map, and creeps level with you; until you can engage in various team-boss fights; AAA is large, with various regions you can travel to and bosses to fight. In cast the PvP dries up, you want something to inspire people to continue playing. Older angel arenas didnt really have that, hence, none of them were really popular until allstars.

2) Ability to PvP: CHA is a smaller map, so if you want to; you can easily pvp; though some players make the choice not to. In AAA, spells are disgustingly strong with hilarious range. It is pretty OP; but all heroes have it, so it is balanced and you can slaughter people for quite a while. Don't just make arenas and such every 10 minutes; no one wants to play "farm for 3 hours arena" give people real reason to PvP.

2) Items: Have a wide variety of items; and items to go with different builds. In CHA there are ~300 items; so no matter what class your hero is; you still have a choice of items. AAA doesn't have the best item variety; everyone uses the same 10 items in the game. Items become just as important as skills; and no one wants to stack 6 of the same items as the game goes on.

3) heroes/skills: You are better off having very well balanced heroes and skills than having an infinite number of imbalanced ones. People will always go for the most OP ones; ignoring everything else that you put all of your time into. This should actually be your main focus if you ever want a game to get popular. Equality between heroes/races/builds/strats. Both CHA and AAA have undergone thousands of hours of combined testing to achieve a pretty decent level of balance that makes games based more on skill than how fast your hero picker can run to the right hero.

The final, more difficult thing...
Handicap for weaker players: Do this how you will while maintaining balance. If you get killed early, the killer gets a free level and a half, and a bunch of gold... it could be GG. With 1 good AoE, killing their team could end the game on the spot. You don't want this; or a skilled player will end every game in 10 minutes, and new players will never gain interest in the game. There are dozens of way to do this, and I assume you can think of some.

Though many of these things may be obvious; it seems in almost all of the posts here you are focusing on the wrong things. Custom triggered spells, hero skins, AI, landscapes... While they are good ways to enhance your map; without scoring an "A" on the basics, where it counts, most maps flop into the forgotten abyss.

Durandal

Reaction score
1) Map Progression: In both CHA and AAA there is a lot of progression through the map. While CHA is a smaller map, and creeps level with you; until you can engage in various team-boss fights; AAA is large, with various regions you can travel to and bosses to fight. In cast the PvP dries up, you want something to inspire people to continue playing. Older angel arenas didnt really have that, hence, none of them were really popular until allstars.

2) Ability to PvP: CHA is a smaller map, so if you want to; you can easily pvp; though some players make the choice not to. In AAA, spells are disgustingly strong with hilarious range. It is pretty OP; but all heroes have it, so it is balanced and you can slaughter people for quite a while. Don't just make arenas and such every 10 minutes; no one wants to play "farm for 3 hours arena" give people real reason to PvP.

What is with you people that don't read the entire thread...

1. That made no sense

2. Read the entire thread please, nothing in my map will be 'farm for 3 hours arena' in fact if that's what you try to do you won't get strong any time soon, my map will reward players that engage in pvp

) Items: Have a wide variety of items; and items to go with different builds. In CHA there are ~300 items; so no matter what class your hero is; you still have a choice of items. AAA doesn't have the best item variety; everyone uses the same 10 items in the game. Items become just as important as skills; and no one wants to stack 6 of the same items as the game goes on.

That is the general idea

3) heroes/skills: You are better off having very well balanced heroes and skills than having an infinite number of imbalanced ones. People will always go for the most OP ones; ignoring everything else that you put all of your time into. This should actually be your main focus if you ever want a game to get popular. Equality between heroes/races/builds/strats. Both CHA and AAA have undergone thousands of hours of combined testing to achieve a pretty decent level of balance that makes games based more on skill than how fast your hero picker can run to the right hero.

I know your trying to help, but if you'd bothered to read the entire thread, you'd know that was the intention and goal as well

The final, more difficult thing...
Handicap for weaker players: Do this how you will while maintaining balance. If you get killed early, the killer gets a free level and a half, and a bunch of gold... it could be GG. With 1 good AoE, killing their team could end the game on the spot. You don't want this; or a skilled player will end every game in 10 minutes, and new players will never gain interest in the game. There are dozens of way to do this, and I assume you can think of some.

Though many of these things may be obvious; it seems in almost all of the posts here you are focusing on the wrong things. Custom triggered spells, hero skins, AI, landscapes... While they are good ways to enhance your map; without scoring an "A" on the basics, where it counts, most maps flop into the forgotten abyss.

Good advice, thanks

HeX.16

Reaction score
GET WORKING i want to see your map. Also good to see new members doing projects like this.

Renendaru

Reaction score
3/4 of Calcifer done, just one more spell to go, his armour.

Durandal

Reaction score
You are a marvel Renu...

How should rep apply to this Renu? Should I just give you rep for every hero finished?

GET WORKING i want to see your map. Also good to see new members doing projects like this.

I have been working

Durandal

Reaction score
Okay so I've been thinking

instead of goals every ten minutes, I was thinking just having every ten minutes a sort of event that provides one the opportunity to get a large amount of gold, and some moderately nice items.

A sort of 'King of The Hill' event, where you have to initiate combat at a certain location, that spawns powerful creeps, every two minutes it spawns a 'super creep' for ten minutes, five creeps, each one provides some gold to each team that kills it, and some items in the base proportional to each player.

However you'll have to beat the other team too, if you want the rewards, for they'll be contesting with you over the event.

Thoughts, feelings, ideas?

Renudaru, here's another hero design for you

I think after observing your coding, I'll learn alot :D

Festergut - Bringer of Pestilence

Rotten Grasp - Causes a tentacle to magically sprout from Festergut's staff, shooting forward and snaring the first unit it encounters, dealing damage, the tentacle damages allies as well as enemies(And yes, if you think Pudge after reading this, it was indeed inspired by that).

Contagion - Festergut releases a cloud of disease, the cloud infects all enemies who come into contact with it, slightly slowing them and dealing damage over time, the disease spreads to nearby enemies that come into contact with those who were infected.

Deadly Scourge - Festergut grows in power with each enemy he kills within the next 30 seconds, for each enemy he kills, his spells get an addional 10 damage, stacks up to five times.

Vile Corruption - Festergut infests an enemy with a parasite that slowly eats the insides of the target hero from the inside out, dealings 1% if their max HP per second for 10 seconds, after the duration ends, if the enemy hero is still alive, they are silenced for 5 seconds.

HeX.16

Reaction score
Good idea from me.
Rotten Remains - The hero eats a unit and lets it sit in his belly. After X secs the hero is able to spit out the corpse poisoning enemies with a powerful disease. Waiting time decreases and damage increases with levels

Durandal

Reaction score
That is a very good idea...

The only problem with it is, Festergut uses the druid of the talon model, with dionisiists shepherd of plague skin, it would be strong if he could ingest entire units

There are ways around this

Foul Cannibalize
Devours flesh over time, as the flesh collects in Festergut's stomach, it becomes to rot and boil, becoming rapidly corrupted, it can be mass expelled to cover a foe with toxic flesh

Hero Lineup has changed again, now Scamp was removed for a desire to be original, and unfortunately because Dionisiist is a lil lazy son of a gun, there will be no Sephiroth, as the prerequisite skin was never added to the skin pack he submitted on wc3c.net, even after I notified him of this(a week ago, I might add)

So now we have Aragorn instead, and...I have no ideas for a replacement for Sephiroth for now

So if you have anyone you'd like to see placed in the map, please say so.

Durandal

Reaction score
Okay, I have the replacement

recently I found this rather excellent dark templar model, and the hero is...

Zeratul! From Starcraft

Durandal

Reaction score
Hero List updated, especially with some nice new shiny abilities! I've been working on the map, more abilities later to-day

To do

- Finish Dracula, Musashi, Theoden, Lor'themar

- Work on items

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.