General Anonymous targets pepper-spraying policeman

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The online "hacktivist" group Anonymous published the personal contact details on Monday of a California university policeman who used pepper spray on protesters, and it urged supporters to flood him with phone calls and emails.

YouTube videos of Friday's incident on the campus of the University of California, Davis have gone viral and led to the suspension of the college police chief, two police officers and calls for the chancellor to step down.

In the YouTube videos, one of which has received 1.44 million views, two university police officers in riot gear are seen spraying an orange mist on protesters sitting peacefully on the ground.

Following the spraying, the crowd begins chanting "Shame on you!"

More about it here.

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
This bastard deserves everything he gets.

Good to know. Lets harass someone who is just following orders because that is his job. You people make me sick.

Like it or not, they were trying to move a police car through that area and protestors sat in front of the road so the car couldn't get past. So they pepper sprayed the people who were clearly trying to disrupt the police.

Even then, its not like he just went on a whim and decided to pepper spray people. He was probably ordered to by his senior officers. He has a choice, get fired and probably not have a job to support his family (especially in this economy), or follow his orders. He may even agree with the protest for crying out loud and all he did was spray a little pepper spray, it's not THAT BAD FFS.

Yes. Target the lapdog. That is exactly what the people in power want. Why should they care when the people following orders get abused? There is an old saying about picking your battles wisely. Good to know everyone thinks targeting a police man just following orders is a good battle to fight. What a joke. Ha, and they think this will change anything at all. They are even more stupid than I thought they were. Rather than go for the man giving orders, they go for the grunt.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
He was probably ordered to by his senior officers

this is NOT an acceptable excuse to do anything that is morally wrong, his choices are to get fired and then sue the police department for $$$ instead

Rather than go for the man giving orders, they go for the grunt.

you only need to eliminate one to stop it, so logic dictates that you go for the weakest link - I agree it's not the best solution, but it's what happens all the time - lets apply your example to war - can you just assassinate/abduct the enemy president/dictator/etc. without hurting a single grunt/soldier? I agree that it would be great if possible, but most of the time it just plain simply isn't (not to say that there won't be attempts to or anything), like that picture of the senior officer just sitting on his ass

Reaction score
Pepper spray doesn't damage you permanently. It's not like he did something awfully bad..

Anonymous is ridiculous.

SH4D0WS1N

Reaction score
Good to know. Lets harass someone who is just following orders because that is his job. You people make me sick.

Like it or not, they were trying to move a police car
Isn't that a walkway?
through that area and protestors sat in front of the road so the car couldn't get past. So they pepper sprayed the people who were clearly trying to disrupt the police.

Even then, its not like he just went on a whim and decided to pepper spray people. He was probably ordered to by his senior officers. He has a choice, get fired and probably not have a job to support his family (especially in this economy), or follow his orders. He may even agree with the protest for crying out loud and
It really seemed like he was making the call to me
all he did was spray a little pepper spray, it's not THAT BAD FFS.
Pepper spray can kill.
Yes. Target the lapdog. That is exactly what the people in power want. Why should they care when the people following orders get abused? There is an old saying about picking your battles wisely. Good to know everyone thinks targeting a police man just following orders is a good battle to fight. What a joke. Ha, and they think this will change anything at all. They are even more stupid than I thought they were. Rather than go for the man giving orders, they go for the grunt.
If the people in power want this, it just makes the situation worse, not better, for them.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Protesters block (semi-)public walkway. Police asks protesters to leave. Protesters refuse to leave. Police is now allowed to use necessary force. As you can see, the folks weren't moving when they were sprayed. Force applied was definately not beyond necessary.

Problem, anonymous?

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score

Like it or not, they were trying to move a police car through that area and protestors sat in front of the road so the car couldn't get past. So they pepper sprayed the people who were clearly trying to disrupt the police.

Even then, its not like he just went on a whim and decided to pepper spray people. He was probably ordered to by his senior officers. He has a choice, get fired and probably not have a job to support his family (especially in this economy), or follow his orders. He may even agree with the protest for crying out loud and all he did was spray a little pepper spray, it's not THAT BAD FFS.

I agree mostly with this.

Cops != Big business. They are just doing their jobs. It's not fair to resist them trying to keep order. You can argue that they shouldn't have even been there, but I believe the campus decided to call off the protest, not the cops directly. They then come and break it up; try to move a car, and then get demonstrators sitting in front of them. They have been given powers beyond what civilians have by the civilians themselves if you think about it. Protesting on campus is cool. Protesting cops is not. They missed the point somewhere in there.

Pepper spray can kill.
Yes, many peppers died during the making of the spray.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Protesters block (semi-)public walkway. Police asks protesters to leave. Protesters refuse to leave. Police is now allowed to use necessary force. As you can see, the folks weren't moving when they were sprayed. Force applied was definately not beyond necessary.

Problem, anonymous?

When you're paying to be at the public place (through tuition AND taxes), I see a problem, yes.

And who cares if he's ordered to do it? It's a cliche example but if someone tells you to jump off a cliff you don't do it. He wouldn't have done it if he was told to mace himself in the face. If he knows it's wrong then don't do it. He got in a lot more shit FOR doing it than if he hadn't.

Bronxernijn

Reaction score
When you're paying to be at the public place (through tuition AND taxes), I see a problem, yes.

By purposely blocking a public space, you are limiting someone elses freedom. This is simply against the law, and the police is thus allowed to intervene and apply all necesary means to end the infraction.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Nazi officers claimed all they were doing was following orders.
We all know how that turned out for them.

obviously, its extreme in this case (cant compare murders to pepper spraying), but the principle stays the same, they all claimed they were just following orders.

@bronx, its called freedom of assembly.

Reaction score
Anyone who says the pepper spray police/security are allowed to carry can (when used properly) kill has no idea what he's talking about. It burns. It doesn't kill.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
By purposely blocking a public space, you are limiting someone elses freedom. This is simply against the law, and the police is thus allowed to intervene and apply all necesary means to end the infraction.

Anyone could simply walk around.

>>Anyone who says the pepper spray police/security are allowed to carry can (when used properly) kill has no idea what he's talking about. It burns. It doesn't kill.

Ever heard of fatal allergic reactions?
Also "While law enforcement officials regulary claim that the spray is safe, researchers at the University of North Carolina and Duke University found that it could “produce adverse cardiac, respiratory, and neurologic effects, including arrhythmias and sudden death.”"

Also check the thread I just posted where pepper spray played in a role in aborting the fetus of a protester.

Dan

Reaction score
As Americans we have the right to peaceably assemble. That doesn't mean that if you are up really late with a huge party at your house you can't have the neighbors call the cops to shut the party down, for example. It also doesn't protect you against assembling on someone else's property. I can't get 20 friends together and camp out on your lawn. We have no right.

In any case, the entire "we pay tuition" argument is a bad one. You do not own the campus for doing so. A college campus is a business and is private property. You pay to be allowed to enter the premises and to attend classes for grades. The campus has every right to evict you at any moment if they see reason to do so. In this case, the campus was being overrun by protestors in a demonstration that did not have approval beforehand. The campus chose to remove them by calling the cops. By removing the protesters, the police were, in fact, protecting your freedoms as Americans.

Did they need to use pepper spray? Not really... I suppose they could have used batons or several officers to wrestle them forceably... but they weren't there to arrest every protester, only to get them to clear out. The pathway was cleared after they sprayed the group that was sitting in the way. They did not go around spraying everyone in the face at random.

Dan

Reaction score
Anyone could simply walk around.

>>Anyone who says the pepper spray police/security are allowed to carry can (when used properly) kill has no idea what he's talking about. It burns. It doesn't kill.

Ever heard of fatal allergic reactions?
Also "While law enforcement officials regulary claim that the spray is safe, researchers at the University of North Carolina and Duke University found that it could “produce adverse cardiac, respiratory, and neurologic effects, including arrhythmias and sudden death.”"

Also check the thread I just posted where pepper spray played in a role in aborting the fetus of a protester.

They were not forced to be sprayed with pepper spray. They chose to be. America is a place where you have many choices to your future. They chose theirs very clearly.

Bronxernijn

Reaction score
Nazi officers claimed all they were doing was following orders.
We all know how that turned out for them.

obviously, its extreme in this case (cant compare murders to pepper spraying), but the principle stays the same, they all claimed they were just following orders.

@bronx, its called freedom of assembly.

Nice godwin.

As the argument about freedom of assembly has already been falsified, I will just go into your comparison with nazis. The officers were following orders, so what? They did not do anything that comes even close to something as immoral as killing 6 million jews and a big bunch of other people.

The protesters were violating property, the police comes and uses pepperspray to drive them off. What is the big fucking deal? They could have been more violent.

As for the pepperspray is dangerous argument, that would imply that police should never be allowed to use pepperspray, unless lethal force is justified. The pregnant woman miscarrying appears to me as a tragic accident.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.