Are there any risks to making a map size larger than Epic?

MintJulep

Reaction score
For instance, I hear that maps made in WEU often stop working when new patches for WarCraft III are released.

Apparently NewGen also has the ability to increase maximum map size to 480x480, although it seems like a new version of NewGen must come out for each new patch.

Basically, I want to know that if I make a map using a tool other than the default World Editor, it'll still run five years from now no matter what changes they make in WarCraft III. Is that the case, or should I just stick with WorldEdit?

I already have a completed 256x256 map prepared, but I'd like to transfer it to something larger than 256x256 since the space is very tight so far (even with the scale-down characters, zoom-in camera trick).

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I think it should run 5 years later but it will lag a lot if you put the map size too large. The only problem with new gen is that some patches like 1.22 require a new version because the patch had some changes affecting the we. If it did, you can just open your map in the new NewGen or hack it using the MPQ editor to transfer the data to a map with nothing in it.

MintJulep

Reaction score
Thanks, that's all good to know. So just the map being large will cause constant in-game lag? I'd want to keep my map at 256x256 if that was the other option. But how do certain maps like Dark Invasion (which I hear is 400x400) get around that problem? Are only 480x480 maps laggy, or what?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
You could make the map size larger and it won't lag extremely, but the larger it is, the bigger the lag. And actually, dark invasion lags a bit for me. It matters how fast the connection and computer is.

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
Larger WILL NOT increase lag at all.

It requires a higher system requirement, but connection wise it changes very little. Larger maps also have the tendency to have more units, which could be causing your lag.

But once again, the only problem with 480x480 compared to 256x256 (4x larger) is simply ram issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.