Are there any workarounds for the defects of GUI timers?

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
I've never used GUI timers in any other way than letting them finish. I just tried to make a simple set of 2 timers running in succession in such a way that they either finish on their own or are interrupted, and then start again. I then found you can't stop, reset or add time to a timer, just pause it? Can this really be?

I tried 'call DestroyTimer' but you can't create a timer afterwards, so that's no use.

I found things that one could use to work around this, but i'm looking for GUI workarounds in specific, if there are any.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Would this aid you? It might not be the answer you're looking for, but it does mention about letting the timer expire before you call on DestroyTimer.

Link.

Another info that explains about GUI timers and why you're not supposed to destroy them.

Link 2.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort, that's all stuff i knew though. Let me elaborate on what my goal is (i just realized my initial post was lacking in this department): I have a turn-based strategy development going on, and i tried to add a 60 second turn-timer. The trouble is that the timer can either run out, or the turn can end before it runs out (which is more likely), but there is no way to stop or reset the timer at this point. You can pause, but that does nothing if you can't restart it, or add time to it when the next turn begins.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add time. The trick is to use the Set variable action, and follow a small portion of this tutorial here, where it says something about counting up.

My suggestion is to implement a turn-based strategy that revolves around timed turns, such as the map called Risk in the TFT custom games. Those games rely on timed turns, instead of time-varying turns.

Reactions: O.A

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
You can add time with something like this.
Trigger:
  • Countdown Timer - Start Timer as a One-shot timer that will expire in ((Remaining time for Timer) + 10.00) seconds

As for restarting the timer, just pause it and start it again at 60 seconds.

Reactions: O.A

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
"As for restarting the timer, just pause it and start it again at 60 seconds."

This is what i tried at first, and was surprised it didn't work, but now as you said it i checked all my triggers again and found one that messed it up. Now it seems to work fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.