Sci/Tech Artificial life 'could be created within five years'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Laboratories across the world are closing in on a "second genesis" - an achievement that would be one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of all time.

Prof David Deamer, from California University, said although building a new lifeform from scratch is a daunting task he is confident it can happen in five to 10 years.

He said: "The momentum is building - we're knocking at the door."

A synthetic, made-to-order living system could produce everything from new drugs to biofuels and greenhouse gas absorbers.

Last edited:

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Once again... Humans are not designed for playing god.
Moreover, this could be so abusive...

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Its very interesting to see how far technology has come and what we are capable of already, or will be capable of soon. No matter what great breakthroughs we come across however, mankind will take down itself sooner or later. Yeah, lets go build ourselves some "ultimate beings", lets go play god. Even if the experiment doesn't horribly fail and takes us all down, it will be nothing but a mere delay for doomsday.

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
Once again... Humans are not designed for playing god.
Moreover, this could be so abusive...

I'm actually looking forward to the day when we create a species that exceeds our mental capacity and species-world connection consciousness and just eradicates us all. Finally, Earth will be in the hands of a species who cares! :D

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
I'm actually looking forward to the day when we create a species that exceeds our mental capacity and species-world connection consciousness and just eradicates us all. Finally, Earth will be in the hands of a species who cares! :D

That would be the species I'm talking about: the one that takes us all down.:) A species of such an intelligence would probably be intelligent enough to figure humans are way to imperfect, and even inferiour to them....we're all goanna die!:eek:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Its horrible! :thdown: building a new lifeform and what it could be? ... Oh and from scratch even :rolleyes:

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
What is wrong with creating new lifeforms? People arguing against scientist because of some convoluted concept of "god" need to step aside. This could be a great step in improving the lives of humans. Fear that some super-organism will exterminate us is the result of watching too much science fiction.

As a side note: isn't it wonderfully ironic that one of the scientists name is Professor "Church"?

CaptDeath

Reaction score
What is wrong with creating new lifeforms? People arguing against scientist because of some convoluted concept of "god" need to step aside. This could be a great step in improving the lives of humans. Fear that some super-organism will exterminate us is the result of watching too much science fiction.

As a side note: isn't it wonderfully ironic that one of the scientists name is Professor "Church"?

well the robot would being to think like the slaves did they killed there masters on occasion the difference is that robots are harder to kill than half naked heart broken under feed scared slaves

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I don't understand. People always talk about religion when anything relating to science comes up. I hope you guys know that religion and science are two very different things. Get that straight and you won't have some guy name Mark throwing shoes at you during a lecture or a speech.

I think this is a great advancement. But I won't allow anything with AI work for me. It's no good.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Ninva, I realize that science and religion are separate matters.I just get irritated when someone says we shouldn't pursue scientific endeavors because we shouldn't "play god."

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Though this seems cool, it has some major backfires. I believe the phrase, "Playing God" comes into affect here. We maybe able to do this, but we should be carefully in how we do it.

That's just my 2 Cents

(Funny part is I didn't read the comments here, so I didn't know someone already said that.)

Dark_Phoenix

Reaction score
science.png

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Article said:
But there would be no safety issues for a long time as any initial organisms would be very primitive and need large-scale life support in the lab, reports New Scientist.
Ahem. It's not like we're talking about creating independently thinking life forms here. They're just going to be synthetically made cells that make...stuff (basically whatever we want). You guys seem to be jumping to the conclusion that 'artificial life' means creating super-humans or bionic weapons. They're just tiny little cells that make things. It's not really playing God anyway; they would most likely evolve on their own; the most we would probably do is direct their evolutionary path when we feel the need to.
Obviously there will be other, more controversial, experiments that might try to create actual autonomously thinking life forms. That will be far in the future.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
I wonder if they can create the life similar to those that has been extinct.
Mini-Dinosaur Zoo yay.

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Ahem. It's not like we're talking about creating independently thinking life forms here. They're just going to be synthetically made cells that make...stuff (basically whatever we want). You guys seem to be jumping to the conclusion that 'artificial life' means creating super-humans or bionic weapons.

They may not be working on super-humans in this case, but this will definitely get something moving which is likely to end up in either humans creating advanced lifeforms or humans improving their own race.

Jolly chap*

Reaction score
They may not be working on super-humans in this case, but this will definitely get something moving which is likely to end up in either humans creating advanced lifeforms or humans improving their own race.

I sure hope it's the second option.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Based on what? If it's not religious conviction and it's not fear then what reason is there for opposing progress?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.