Health Australian of the Year Richard Scolyer 'blown away' by success of radical new brain cancer treatment

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
World-first clinical trials of a groundbreaking treatment for aggressive brain tumours are likely to begin soon following "fantastic" results in the high-profile case of Australian of the Year, Professor Richard Scolyer.

Professor Scolyer, 57, was diagnosed with glioblastoma IDH wild-type in early June last year and became "patient zero" in a pioneering immunotherapy approach that has produced remarkable results: the tumour has not come back after 10 months.

"I'm blown away," Professor Scolyer tells Australian Story. "This is not what I expected. The average time to recurrence for the nasty type of brain cancer I've got is six months. So, to be out this far is amazing. Amazing."

Now, work is underway developing protocols for the start of clinical trials. If the results of those trials are strong, it could shake-up the current treatment regimen of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation that has not changed in 19 years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.