Blarg's Gas Planet Challenge!

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
So about a month ago, I realized that if I didn't buckle down and finish at least one of the maps on my "To Do" list, they would never get done. I'm working on a simple space map right now, and it's almost complete.

But I could use a model for a giant gas planet. Something like Jupiter or Saturn. I've looked on the Hive, and in the threads here, but everything that fits the bill is either password-protected, or it was deleted years ago.

Here's where you come in. If any of you are good at modeling, feel free to send me your version of Jupiter, Saturn, etc. (Feel free to insert the mandatory joke about "Uranus".) The best one -- nothing above 50 KB -- gets +rep and credit on the space map.

I would very strongly prefer that you get your models to me sometime in the next seven days. After that, I'm submitting this map to Members' Projects for beta testing. I can get by on the Reveal/Item Area Detection that's acting as a place-holder now, but I'd like to have something a little more polished, so I can concentrate on play and balance issues instead of graphics.

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you!

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
find and post a picture most like what you want the model to be like.... otherwise you are just going to get alot of spheres with rings around them if you are lucky to get anything at all

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
you want an model like a big sphere unit, have you even tried to make an big custom unit with model as sphere and make it a scaling value like 5 and then change the tinting color...

MurderMode

Reaction score
arrrgh what the hell I gave it a shot anyway. It was supposed to have a rotating animation but dexport being the bastard that it is first didn't export the animation correctly (it only semi rotated lol), then didn't export it at all. So yeah, it's just a static planet but it does have a portrait cam.

View attachment 21580

View attachment 21579
View attachment 21578

the texture path is just 'gasplanet.blp'

oh and I don't need credit if you use it, 1 unanimated sphere hardly requires that lol

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
ZeroThirteen, I thought that Member's Projects was for completed maps, not for details about a single trigger/model/etc. That's why I posted here.

X-maul, I'm not sure what you're asking me. A monochromatic "big sphere unit" isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like something with at least the suggestion of cloud bands and ring systems, so the eventual beta testers don't think I've just gone nuts and stuck a bunch of SuperBalls in space. But I probably should have made that clearer at the beginning.

MurderMode, don't be so down on yourself. Except for the animation problem, your model is pretty much what I was aiming for. If anybody knows how to put some spin on the thing -- and maybe make the rings a more realistic color, some kind of light gray or light brown or off-white -- that would be great.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Ask on The Hive Workshop. They have a larger modeling community.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Knight 7770: Will do, but I'm still posting my map to Member's Projects today. I set myself a deadline, and I'm going to stick to it. I'll just have to worry about this, and the loading screen issues, post-beta.

MurderMode: I've given you credit and +rep anyway, because I said I would. (You've clearly won the original challenge, even if only by default.) Hope you're not too angry.

MurderMode

Reaction score
haha I wasn't doing it as part of a challenge, I was only doin what I could to help out so that your map didn't stop to a stand still.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.