Blizzard DOTA- With Heart Of The Swarm!

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Released on Gamescon, Blizz dota will come out by the time HOTS comes out.

What heroes will it feature ? The most emblematic Blizzard heroes, not only Kerrigan and Zeratul, but Sylvanas and possibly Decard Cain too !

More info about DOTA 2 will be given at Blizzcon 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
Also noteworthy, to me at least, is that the presumed fan-art, as posted here, is actually the real thing, from the looks I got on several Gamescon HotS screens.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much at all, and not really anything new out there... :(

Well, what's yet another year of waiting among friends? :p

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
True. Hopefully I will have saved enough for a preorder of the HOTS collector's edition. The terran, meh. The other two, I can't miss.

celerisk

Reaction score
Save? If you start now, 5 bucks a month will do for "saving" :D

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Yap, I have saved up a decent amount already, just you never know when you will decide to invest the money in a keyboard/mouse/headset :D

By the way, I added the official Blizz DOTA banner thingy.

celerisk

Reaction score
> the official Blizz DOTA banner

Ridiculous. Kerrigan hidden in a corner? CENTER PIECE! Blizzard... pffft.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The banner is telling quite something, the guys are in the front and the women stay behind.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
so.. how long do you guys predict before a lawsuit from (valve?) about the "dota" copyright infringement, which then forces blizzard to re-name it to "xxx", served with the exact same words as what blizzard sent to the guy who created world of starcraft?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so.. how long do you guys predict before a lawsuit from (valve?) about the "dota" copyright infringement, which then forces blizzard to re-name it to "xxx", served with the exact same words as what blizzard sent to the guy who created world of starcraft?

Well, it wasn't Valve (or IceFrog) who created the original, so I doubt that lawsuit would be too successful. The gameplay comes from Blizzard in the first place though.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Actually the poster reveals Hellscream. I think that there are gonna be 20-30ish heroes per game. I do wonder if the Diablo universe will be included... there are several bad characters (like leoric and the 3 brothers) who would be epic.

On a side note: Am I the only one who loves that after purchasing a blizzard game you get tons of blizz content for free, such as new map pool each season, and cool mods every now and again, containing new icons and achievements.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
On a side note: Am I the only one who loves that after purchasing a blizzard game you get tons of blizz content for free, such as new map pool each season, and cool mods every now and again, containing new icons and achievements.

i feel like when you purchase games like wc3/sc2/halo, you are really buying several games in one because of the ability of world editors. thats why when it comes to blizzard games i never feel bad about spending that much money on a game. (well and not to mention the games are amazing in themselves too)

as for heroes in the game, i want diablo, zuljin, thrall, uther, grom (i always thought grom was a girl in wc2 because of the voice actor), tassadar, and the butcher in it.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I want sylvanas, Anub'arak and Kael. From diablo, Leoric, Blood Raven and well... EVERYONE!

Tom_Kazansky

--- wraith it ! ---
Reaction score
@Bloodcount, "EVERYONE" huh, that would be awesome! :D

Well, it wasn't Valve (or IceFrog) who created the original, so I doubt that lawsuit would be too successful. The gameplay comes from Blizzard in the first place though.

I think Blizzard can change the name any time, it's not a big problem, heh :D

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Will it really be called "Blizzard DotA"?
The name sounds bad to me. . .

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
The name isn't exactly a winner... but it does give you a clear idea of what to expect.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
at least if you know wc3. they could call it blizzard LoL as well, but the name would still be a bad idea.
they should at least show some originality and give it a proper name, like a subtitle maybe.

celerisk

Reaction score
> at least if you know wc3

An interesting point.
What I'm expecting from Blizzard is not yet another remake of the AoS / DotA idea.

What I expect is some kind of... let's call it "progression", that would help new players getting into it.
You know, when you have to chose from 50+ or so Heroes, first time you play the map... what kind of informed choice can you hope to make there?

I remember my first couple games, back in the days...
The flames already started in the lobby.
"What??? You can't go with <random name> here, Abjured Reciprocation is useless with <other random Hero name here>"... as if that would tell anyone anything :p
(The above quote is my own version. The original used several severe expletives)

I'm sure there's some way to do better than that.
Not that I'm seeing it though.
Let's hope someone at Blizzard does.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I think with all the "Lets make something new and unique and complex and competitive" policies of most companies, the best old school mechanisms are forgotten.

Remember how in old games sometimes you would unlock additional characters after completing the game ? Lets say that BDota will have ~50 heroes. You start off with 5. Each time you get a win you unlock 1 new hero. That ensures a decent replay value(imagine if new versions are released with new heroes) and I think fixes the problem that you have to learn what 50+ heroes do and what items you have to get dor them.

celerisk

Reaction score
Turns out Blizzard already gave this some thought:

Getting it right and just meeting the Blizzard quality bar, and questioning a lot of the assumptions behind the genre, which is what we do at Blizzard

What we showed at the original BlizzCon, we've completely flattened it since then and completely rebooted it because we just thought, there's more we can question on this

... the DOTA everyone plays on Warcraft 3 is not particularly accessible to the novice

One of the game development philosophies we have at Blizzard is, easy to learn and difficult to master. That mod for Warcraft 3 doesn't really fit that description

... chases the vast majority of people off because their team mates are screaming at them

We've just been ... really make it more user friendly

Seen here

I like the part where the team mates are screaming :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blizzard have got the right ideas to base it off. IE the user-friendly experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.