Bloody Campus Rampage

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I also don't think you are thinking about the families and friends of the victims and the impact that it has on them. These were innocent people and even though you did not know them, other people did and the ripple effect of that many people getting brutally murdered is large. Especially on a college campus where parents mostly send their kids, one would assume they are going to be safe.

In other words, it seems that you have disregarded the emotional impact of the incident to the other victims of this tragedy, which would be the families and friends of the victims.

Knocksious

Sweet, I got 2 little green bars!
Reaction score
you're right, but I haven't heard about any of those people

have you ever heard of the "Monkeysphere"? We are hardwired to care only about people who exist inside a certain level of our monkeysphere. The outermost level is the most vast, it is all of the people that you don't know about, pondering about who they are automatically brings them one level closer, into the undefined person layer. That is the layer that is the "someone who dies alone with no family" or the "millions of starving africans", we feel sorry for them, but not that bad. When their story is known to us (as in you read an article about them) they enter into another nearer level of our sphere.

Basically the more you know about someone, the more you care about them, in general. I hope that clears something up for you.

BTW, I think too much attention is put on the killer. Those of you out there, do you know the killer's name? Alright, now, do you know know the name of the Jewish Holocaust survivor teacher that sacrificed his life to save all of his students? Its the media that takes the bad guys, and exalts them.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
On Wednesday 190 people were killed in Iraq and no one really takes notice.

Then 30 students are killed in the US and the world goes off.

I'm not being insensitive and I can't believe how this would affect the families, but it's weird how 5 times more people in Iraq and people see it as "acceptable/normal" myself included :p.

Knocksious

Reaction score
probably because we know that war causes death, there are enemies trying to kill you from all sides, but School should equate safety and learning, not death. The other reason is that that the media has taken advantage of this, because it stars a troubled young man, and begs the question (at least this is how the media wants to spin it) "what did we do to make him like this?"

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
i watched this on the news a few times now and they said some of the reasons that it might cause this to happen is:
The murderer's believe that his girlfriend is going out with an other guy and at 7 am he went to talk to her and they started shouting and everything and a teacher or whatever came in and try to break them apart and he shot them both.
He likes to shut himself up alone and doesnt speak much to anyone. Although he went to US at a young age he still doesnt speak good english so he was teased by ppl at high school.

I think he probably wasnt intended to kill ppl at first but if the first one was true (His gf one) then it might fire him up to do the rest also they said a movie about a guy taking revenage back at the school affect him as well ... sad

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
You know - this incident may be dwarfed by the massacres and killings around the world, but the fact can't be denied - People are dead.

This shooting is now the largest campus killing in US history, and the ripple effect this has is extremely overwhelming.

I dunno - killings happen every single day, but when it's on your own turf, in your own country, it has a bigger effect on the locals.

I think he probably wasnt intended to kill ppl at first but if the first one was true (His gf one) then it might fire him up to do the rest also they said a movie about a guy taking revenage back at the school affect him as well ... sad

He actually made a video after killing two of the people, and admitted he was planning it for a few months before hand.

Krys A Night

Writer
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm still surprised that he could run across the campus fully armed like that and no one had seen him.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I dunno - killings happen every single day, but when it's on your own turf, in your own country, it has a bigger effect on the locals.

Then there should be a 24/7 effect in place already. I hate to be the one to say it, but people are killed every day in our country... Probably every day in EVERY STATE, even.

Though to think it is seriously depressing, someone is probably being killed or will be killed by the time you finish reading this very sentence...

Welcome to the Real World.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
The Real World is depressing... :(

I have been hearing about this a lot recently.

Though i do agree that if it happens in America it gets blow out of perspective.
I remember when i did a project on Colombia it mentioned that the amount of people who died in 9/11 is around the same amount of people in Colombia who die from violence.

Then again, who cares about Colombia? They aren't rich, there just human.

Knocksious

Reaction score
The Real World is depressing... :(

I have been hearing about this a lot recently.

Though i do agree that if it happens in America it gets blow out of perspective.
I remember when i did a project on Colombia it mentioned that the amount of people who died in 9/11 is around the same amount of people in Colombia who die from violence.

Then again, who cares about Colombia? They aren't rich, there just human.

Well... I wouldn't know really... I live in America, so I think that an internal event should take precedence over an external. If America's news is broadcast overseas more than local news then I can agree with that.

@ Seth, I know people die everyday, but what is so startling about this is that "It coulda been me". We all have people that we coulda been nicer to, people whose days we probably ruined. I think this story is a huge fear bomb, people now have a reason to be nervous at school.

I also think that this is a huge overhype, and that the news is taking the wrong spin on this. This kid was sick. Mentally Ill. He was violent, and probably deserved the stigma of his peers. I am not condoning people "being jerks" to this guy, but it is not something to go kill other people over, let alone yourself. Anyone who is made fun of... GET OVER IT!!! Learn some useful skill that will put you ahead of your tormentors, or even better, give you some friends!

Asehujiko

Reaction score
Anyone who is made fun of... GET OVER IT!!! Learn some useful skill that will put you ahead of your tormentors, or even better, give you some friends!

Instead of whining here why don't you go check out those statements on your own and see how hard it is to be acepted in a situation like that no matter how skilled you are at something?

It's short sighted people like you that makes a part of the population feel realy bad, up to the point where the more volatile ones go on a rampage.

It's morons like you that are the reason im sitting at home here instead of at school because the hostilities were too much there.

Shut up about things you have no idea of how they work.

Knocksious

Reaction score
dude, I was the most made fun of kid in my class for awhile, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. I got over it. I stopped letting people bug me, and then I became friends with them. Being made fun of is NO REASON to go on a rampage and kill other people!

So, I have checked out those statements, and I know how hard it is to be accepted. Thats why I am so adamant about this. I've been where this kid was, but I got over it. I hear kids whine and complain about how HARD their life is, I think they are just looking for acceptance in the wrong group. Maybe it is different where you live (I live in Seattle) and around here there is always another group to join.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Then there should be a 24/7 effect in place already. I hate to be the one to say it, but people are killed every day in our country... Probably every day in EVERY STATE, even.

Though to think it is seriously depressing, someone is probably being killed or will be killed by the time you finish reading this very sentence...

Welcome to the Real World.

Yeah, but my point was is that people may die every day, but that doesn't make the impact of this massacre any less significant.

I've heard people saying "Who cares people die every day," but it still doesn't undermine the significance of the largest massacre in modern US history. (I do like how it's 'modern', considering we slaughtered thousands of Indians at a time :D)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.