[Campaign] The Lost Island

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
The Lost Island
A Warcraft III Adventure Campaign by

The Hegemuffin

What is the Lost Island?
The Lost Island is a unique Single Player Campaign that does what few Warcraft III campaigns before it have done... and then more. It is inspired largely by the puzzle-adventure genre of game (for any of you who played them, think of the Monkey Island games or some of the old Sierra releases). However, as the puzzle-adventure is a nowadays rarely implemented (and even more rarely successful) genre of game, The Lost Island ends up being more of a hybrid between a puzzle-adventure and an action-adventure (think "Legend of Zelda" - a lot more mainstream, right?). In other words, you have the usual creep battles and some of the action from your standard Warcraft III campaign (plus a few boss battles as well), but, for the most part, both the plot and your progress in the game are driven by puzzles that you need to solve. These puzzles are mainly inventory or environment based, but they are certainly not limited to these two aspects of gameplay.

As a campaign itself, the Lost Island is in much the same format as the Orc Bonus Campaign, but with only one main level. There is currently one planned "overmap" (at least 192*192 in size) and anywhere from 3-5 "instances." Your main character is an Orc Blademaster (Grom Hellscream model), but the majority of the NPC interactions are with Trolls and Humans, the two main races inhabiting the island. If anything, then, the Lost Island is a "Troll Bonus Campaign," though it is only loosely set in the Warcraft III universe, and most of the plot is extraneous to known Warcraft III lore.

What is it about?
Here's the backstory (set directly following the events of the Orc Bonus Campaign):
You control Gokee, an Elite Blademaster who finds himself stranded on a Lost Island from the past. Gokee, as the Horde's official witness to an Alliance project under the new Horde / Alliance truce, had been sent to accompany the Archmage Verivin on what was to be a revolutionary experiment. For some years, now, Verivin had been conducting research into the fabric of time itself and claimed to have discovered a means of warping it. If this was indeed true, a time spell of that nature could allow the Alliance to prevent entirely the Scourge's arrival in Lordaeron. However, it was important to Verivin that the actual test of his theory be done in the middle of the ocean, and for two reasons. First and foremost, he did not wish to alter the course of history himself; rather, he would leave it to Jaina to sort out exactly when and where to intervene so as to neutralize the Scourge without the risk of causing a time paradox. The ocean would be perfect for this due to the exceedingly low probability of encountering human life, and Verivin would still be able to determine from astronomical calculations whether or not his ship had in fact traveled back in time. Secondly, the amount of energy required for his spell would be enormous, and he would need to harness the power of the maelstrom - the storm Thrall had encountered and which seemed to be curiously fixed in the middle of the ocean - to adequately fuel his magic.

Unfortunately, this plan, though it worked in theory, resulted in the complete destruction of their ship in the storm, which had proved particularly violent. Verivin did harness enough energy to perform the spell. He, however, was killed in the process, and the sole survivor was Gokee, stranded in a time so far back that he found himself washed up on the shore of an island that hadn't even existed in the present. And so begins our tale.

What are some of the features?
I'm not really interested in listing things here like "AWE-INSPIRING CINEMATICS" or "NEVER BEFORE SEEN SPELLS" because, generally speaking, the more superlatives used in a description, the less likely the map is to come close to meeting any expectations whatsoever, let alone those. What I can give you, though, is the gist of it.
-An impressive terrain, nothing to ooh and aah about but also nothing boring or ugly, well planned out, well detailed, extremely large, and perfectly functional for the purposes of the map.
-An excellent story: Here is the one area, if any, in which I can boast a little. The storyline is coherent, intriguing, detailed, and professional. If anything, this should be what keeps you playing. Essentially, you might think of the campaign as a quality fanfic (yes, I'm aware of the generally negative connotations of that word, but I stress here "quality") that you get to play out.
-A number of cinematic sequences, whose worth you can probably extrapolate as some average of the terrain and the story.
-A wide range of puzzles, which span from challenging to infuriating. I will stress, once again, that this campaign is extremely puzzle driven. If you don't particularly enjoy puzzles or if you lean more toward the "shoot 'em up" side of things, then this probably isn't the map for you. If you do like puzzles, however, then you will most certainly get your money's worth: This is probably the one area in which you will not be "given a break."
-Engaging boss fights: True, the action is not a dominant function of this campaign, but the boss fights are far from a letdown. In line with the "puzzle" element, most bosses are not the type where "you hit them until they're dead." Generally, there is some tactic you have to arrive at to defeat them, but it is often incorporated into the hack-and-slash so that fights are never boring.
-And just to throw a bone to the World Editor hounds, the campaign is completely leak-free and incorporates a kick-ass extended inventory system, though I consider the mechanics of a map, particularly a single player one, to be irrelevant so long as it plays properly and looks good to the gamer.

How is it unique?
First of all, I'm not trying to do everything here, so, as with the features, I'm not about to list 10 ways in which this map is completely revolutionary only to see all of them fail. However, I think it's safe to say that it attempts a lot in properly balancing the puzzle and action elements to make for an integrated gaming experience. It also makes effective use of the Orc Bonus Campaign "overmap" style of doing things, which I think is notable. Finally, though tons of people are coming out with campaigns, RPGs, ORPGs, etc., I think the story for this is truly exceptional, so you should definitely give it a try.

So when can I play it?
The current release date is set for August 2008. I intend to work on it for most of the summer, or at least while I'm home. As to the current progress (having been working for approximately one week), I would put it at
Story: 50%
Puzzles: 25%
Terrain: 25%
Object Data, Triggers, Implementation, Etc.: 10%

So I'd say I'm making fairly good progress.

Show me the goods! (Screenies)
Just a few terrain screenies to keep the dogs from barking (nothing of the gameplay yet):

Whee, a lake!

Now a volcano! >.<

Volcano round 2

Please give suggestions, ask questions, or just lend your support. I welcome it all.

Update (05/26/08): Screenshots now available!

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
Seems like a neat little idea you got going there. I love how you put a lot of work into the Storyline, which is fabulous since i've seen a few with only one purpose, to be a slaughter house campaign (kill kill kill. no purpose, just kill).

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
i....err.well to put it to a better term....

Errection compleate :D yes. i had a boner for about 2 seconds when i read ur ideas :p

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hehe, thanks for your support, both of you. I'm glad it's going over so well. It was actually my biggest qualm about this that people wouldn't like the idea. I guess I better get back to work or maybe get some screenshots up next :)

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
This game sounds really cool. It's good to see some people making campaigns. Also, the whole legend of zelda-ish gameplay sounds real cool, should be interesting to see how you make the puzzles. Anyways, good luck :thup:

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Well, yea, just to clarify and not to give anyone the wrong impression, but when I likened it to the Zelda games, I wasn't referring so much to the gameplay controls as to the gameplay combination of puzzles and action, so don't expect anything by way of first-person controls or z-targeting. It does so happen that I'm experimenting with variable camera angles, but at the moment it looks like everything in terms of gameplay controls is going to be pretty standard Warcraft III (locked camera, though). If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? No, but I just think that will end up working best for gaming smoothness.

Sorry to make such a big deal out of it, but "gameplay" is a broad and potentially ambiguous term; I just wanted to make sure that no one misunderstood the initial post.

edit: Oh, and I just finished implementing the extended inventory system, a modification of Trithilon-V2's as found here. As your main character, Gokee can now hold up to 50 Items in his (self-organizing) Inventory, and potentially even more: as many as are necessary to complete the game.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Can't wait for this to be finished^^ Don't forget to keep us updated on the progress:thup:. Just one thing I thought of (unless you allready had this in mind), please make the boss battles something more than just encountering a huge and strong mob. Try to have special events and tactics that would be needed to even hurt the boss (yes as in zelda^^)

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Definitely :)

I plan to have most bosses damageable with normal attacks and spells (though some may be immune to a certain type of attack); this is to preserve some of the Warcraft III combat feel so that it doesn't seem as if the fights are just additional puzzles. However, in almost all cases, you need to do a little something extra to actually kill the boss. Often, this might mean that the boss either revives repeatedly or has some ridiculous heal when it gets low enough, and you need to figure out how to prevent those before you can strike the killing blow.

edit: And yes, there will be certain bosses that require a specific tactic to even damage them :), but not the majority, besides which I think that in a game where most of the combat is Warcraft III-esque, having only one or two of those bosses can make the fights even more frustrating, but the victories all the more rewarding.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Looking at the screenshots now...

I like the first one. Simple but certainly nothing wrong. The second one isn't so good. The top is a bit too flat and there's a bit too much fire. Maybe streams of lava flowing down, and a distinguishable top, and less fire. Smoke smudges are also nice if you lower them in.

Anyways, I like your ideas on the boss fights too. Still sounding interesting :D

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Mm, okay. Thanks for the volcano suggestions: I'm definitely struggling with it a bit (actually, terraining is the least enjoyable aspect of mapping for me, and whatever I have learned about it over the years has been painstaking and far from intuitive). Let me post another screenshot from a different angle, though, and see what you think, as there are actually two lava flows just out of sight, plus I think it's hard to see the height difference on top from the given shot. I could probably still make it more jagged, though, and I agree with you about the fire.

Just about the top, specifically, one of the problems is that the top of the volcano is close to 2000 on the z-axis. The whole thing is pretty massive, and it's because one of the puzzles will involve you walking down into the volcano (i.e. it needs to be interactive). The screenshot I posted is pretty zoomed out, but there's actually a height difference of close to 200 between some points on the crown. I guess I should still increase it, though, just to keep it proportional. Let me know what you think after I post the next one: thanks!

edit: Okay, I added it. I think you're definitely right about the top, now that I look at it from different angles; no matter how I rotate it, it just doesn't come across, so I'll try to work on that. I cut down the fire by about 1/3, but it might still be too much. Also, let me know what you think about the lava flows. Oh, and as for the smoke smudges, I know this is a lame excuse but I'm working on a Mac and I can't figure out how to raise and lower doodads. No, but seriously, none of the Windows hotkeys or whatever their Mac equivalents would be with the apple key seem to work. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know :(

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Better. Would be cool if you put steaming bubbles in the center, or wherever. Then again since you can't lower that's kind of problematic. anyways, it still needs less fire, but it doesn't look as bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.