Environment Cars could run on algae 'within a few years'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Driven by fluctuations in oil prices and seduced by the prospect of easing climate change, experts are intensifying efforts to squeeze fuel out of a promising new organism: pond scum.

As it turns out, algae - slimy, fast-growing and full of fat - is gaining ground as a potential renewable energy source.

Experts say it is intriguing for its ability to gobble up carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, while living happily in places that are not needed for food crops.

Algae like mosquito-infested swamps, for example filthy pools, and even waste water. And while no one has found a way to mass produce cheap fuel from algae yet, the race is on.

University labs and start-up companies across the country are getting involved. Over the summer, the first large corporation joined in, when ExxonMobil said it would sink $600 million (£360 million) into algae research in a partnership with a California biotechnology company.

Last edited:

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
This is stupid. It's just another way to kill the enviroment. We'd run out of algae and while we were extracting it, tons of organisms would die since algae is a major food source.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
This is stupid. It's just another way to kill the enviroment. We'd run out of algae and while we were extracting it, tons of organisms would die since algae is a major food source.

If you ever had a fishtank you would know that algea is a pretty damn stubborn little thing, and you would probably not say that;)

I think that it sounds like a good idea:) On the other hand, I don't think that I would like to smell the fumes from that engine:p

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> We'd run out of algae and while we were extracting it

Ever heard of growing algae :rolleyes:? Can you grow petroleum? So which is a better choice?

> I don't think that I would like to smell the fumes

I believe they produce gasoline from algae oil extract. Meaning, it's still... gas. No worries about the smell :p.

I hope the technology works well.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hey, 2nd poster, why aren't chickens extinct if we have millions of restaurants selling anything chicken?

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Conclusion: It's an energy inefficient and expensive version of a normal battery.

Admit it, you've spend all your efforts in refining the combustion engine and you still can't get it to reach 50% energy efficiency... It's time to drop that ball and go on with your life.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
And yet another promising technology that Republicans will attempt to squash.

Running your car off green fuels is to Liberal and could be favored by black presidents.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Politics and whatnot aside, there is no one perfect fuel source. If we switch completely to algae, at some point we could (note: COULD) reduce carbon dioxide levels to a dangerously low point. BUT, it's a good idea for now :thup:

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I don't know why there is such a race to make it a fuel source. All organic matter is combustible. Just dry it out and you can burn it.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>Just dry it out and you can burn it.

Marijuana comes to mind.

Hah. Pot powered cars.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If this does work. I expect that algae would be mass produced, so I doubt that would need to worry about running out of it.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Here it is 14 years later and I guess this did not become a thing LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.