[Classroom] Terraining: Special

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
Basically, this classroom is more of an interactive online tutor (me). For this, like Pineapple's Creative Writing Classroom, you simply list what type of terrain you wish to learn, and I teach it to you through PMing.

Lesson Information
Unlike most classrooms, this classroom is specifically designed to tailor your different needs. However, it will be fairly rigorous, in terms of strictness.
There are multiple skill levels of the lessons:

-Beginning
-Novice
-Intermediate
-Expert

Simple, the better you are, the more in-depth and precise I will be with the lessons, but each higher level will require you to have at least a bit of prior terraining knowledge.
Lessons will be sent to students through PM depending on what they posted. Lessons will include information to be covered by the lesson, a short lesson on each, and an assignment at the end. Lessons will be different depending on the student. If the class (assuming I get a class) wishes, I will post all the lessons in a zip folder online, for easy viewing of the class. Unless the students wishes to drop the class, or the student has told me of any times they will not be online, all assignments are to be turned in, through email. My email is listed below. Lesson maps will usually be from 32x32 to 64x64 on harder lessons. I will be grading each of the assignments turned into me by reply of email, or by PM. See Grading Information.
Every few lessons, there will be a quiz, posted on here. ALL students will recieve a PM telling them there is a quiz, which will require them to terrain, by themselves, nice, working world. Quiz maps usually range from 64x64 to 96x96. Students will have an adequate amount of time to complete these quizzes. Anyone not completing these quizzes without prior reason will be kicked out.

Options
These are just some of the options available, which can allow students to choose from what they wish to terrain. If you are participating, please choose as many as you wish, but I'm going to help you with the first one first, so don't choose "Expert _____" then "Beginner ______." unless you're already an expert.

Skill Level Options:
-Beginner
-Novice
-Intermediate
-Expert

Terraining Options: (Length of Course)
-Doodads (Medium)
-Forests (Medium)
-Deserts (Medium)
-Islands (Medium)
-Ruins (Medium-Short)
-Cities (Medium-Short)
-Mountains (Medium-Long)
-Terrain-only (Medium-Short)
-Non-Playable (VERY LONG)
-Dungeons (Medium)
-Emulating the Real World (Medium-Long)
-Melee Map Designing (Medium-Short)
-RPG Map Designing (Long)
-Transitions (Short)
-Other (Varies)

Grading Information
All lessons that are turned in will recieve a grade on a rubric, and then a percent score. I will then post grades here, along with everyone's average grades every so often.
Anyone "failing" (by my standards - 10% or lower, which means you're not even trying) will be kicked out of the class if they fail the next lesson/quiz.
On lessons, no +rep will be given.
On quizzes, I will grade each person's quiz (don't worry, it will just provide general guidelines on what to terrain, such as "Use Sunken Ruins." All students will do the same quiz.) on a rubric, and all students with a 85% or above will be given +rep.

Roster Information

If you wish to become a teacher, show me a bit of your terraining (before taking any lessons from me, (oninuva's lessons are ok)) and I'll decide whether you're apt enough for the job. Terrain alone does not decide a teacher - the person must be amiable and use mildly good spelling and grammar.
Teachers:

• pheonixashes
    ______
    ______

To sign up for a student position, simply let me know (through reply to the thread) and list what you wish to learn. (I will not help you on your personal maps; you do that yourself.)

• haifi
    PurgeandFire
    Seanny
    SnowCrow
    Jazradel
    IKilledKEnny
    Ur-Quan
    thedude
    kylewarrior
    ~GaLs~
    elmstfreddie
    shadowvzs
    waaks!

Contact Information
I will be available through e-mail, IMing, and PMing. I will not post lessons on this thread unless you ask me to.

E-Mail: [email protected]
MSN: [email protected]

IMPORTANT
Do not post your homework in this thread, or in any other threads. I cannot repeat this enough. Email the homework to me.

Anyway, happy terraining.
---

Did I sound too harsh?

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Just because there's one classroom doesn't mean there can't be another, you know.

Yeah, it's in another classification. Notice I mentioned your classroom as well.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Sure, I'll join! Dunno if my terrain is great enough to be a teacher.:( Just in case, here is a little screenie that shows my work on a campaign. It's not my best work, but I think it is alright, though it is simply crowded with doodads. :D
Click here!

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Ok, good.

Nice terrain, though some of the grass and the steam column seems a bit out of place on those tiles.
Other than that, nice use of blending in different tiles and imported/normal blizzard doodads (trees mainly).

I signed you up as a student, though I don't know what type of terraining you want to learn... unless you want to teach?

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
id like to join! =D i dont have any maps that i could give you to show you but i can whip something up real fast right now...(the maps that have my terrain so far are either a map that i terrained for a friend. or a map that im keeping secret.)

so uhm. ill update later but yeah id like to enroll for intermidiate....or high novice. and more in foresty\mountainy terrain. =D ill post the map in this post that i make for terrain in like... a bit. either later tonight or tommorow.

alright heres the quick map i made up. its terrain only!

Attachments

• Terraining Demo.w3x
    56.2 KB · Views: 177

SnowCrow

Reaction score
I'll join as a student. I really wanna learn to do those nice things with doodads. :)
So, here's my choises:
-Intermediate, Doodads.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
I'll join.
Intermediate, Mountains
Depending on how it goes, I'll probably do cities as well.

pheonixashes

Reaction score
Ok guys, thanks.

I added all of you to the roster, classes should begin on Monday, because that's when I have time ^_^.

But I might get some of the lessons done today.

pheonixashes

Reaction score
It's simply an interactive tutor with a couple of group quizzes; the end project will involve students, in groups of two, making a full-scale terrained environment.

Since it's a tutor, you'll need to specify what specific type of lessons you want. I will update the list shortly with more options.
Plus, your options aren't limited to those selections.

U

Ur-Quan

I'm in:
-Novice

-Islands
-Other= Outland outdoros
(Can I have 2 parts?)

T

thedude

Can i sign up for a beginning class? Also, i wanted to do something like this (I'm not sure what category that would fall under):

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
i am very very noob in terraining....wishes to join and learn sumthing...

difficulties:
Beginner

learning:
forest(i think this is most simply thought)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.