Computer Doesn't Start up....

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
I was degragging my harddrive one late night and my computer locked up.... I tried to start it up the next morning and windows could't start its self up. I tried safe mode and last known configuration.

My first assumption waws to just reformat my HD and start over. Well.... windows setup crashed while reformatting. The error had something to do with my random access memory (RAM).

Next I plugged my harddrive into a different computer and formatted it. I did this to make sure my HD was not the problem, process of elimination. I had to rewire all of the IDE cables.... so hard to move those fat ass cables.

I started to pull ram sticks out one at a time and see if i could get it to boot up. Well after the "ram check" was approved at my BIOS starting screen it stopped booting up. I couldn't access my bios or boot menu to try and put windows on my HD.

Please ask for a better explanation if it doesn't make any sense. Any help would be appreciated.

M

Magickian

When you say you cannot access the boot menu, I'm assuming that you know the proper keys to press, just that they aren't working. So I ask the question: have you tried a CPU swap? That would be my guestimation as to where the problem lies. Chances are the CPU got damaged from heat whilest defragging the harddrive.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
what magic says make sense .
by rule of thumb i remove all cards and memory (cept 1 if u have more memory banks occupied) beside the vidcard (need to see something heheh)

sometimes taking the battery out for a while amd try to power on the comp or change the jumpers to reset the bios might help ..

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Yah i was gonna say reset your Bios too, otherwise check to make sure none of your lights are showing (if a light stays on you have the IDE cables hooked up wrong) that kinda stuff, maybe you hooked up your HD wrong, although i doubt this is the problem because from what you're saying you know what you are doing.

Uhm i don't think your Bios is part of your HD, so you can't access either or what? Get your Bios going and you can tell from there if your HD is being picked up or not. That's why me and wargy think you should reset your Bios.

frie2

Maxis & Sim Moderator
Reaction score
Well thanks for the help guys. I decided that since i didnt know how to reset (or install new BIOS) my BIOS and I would of never of guessed my CPU overheated, I turned it into a local computer shop. But before this all happened my processor ran at a constant 110-120 degrees. So I doubt my it's my processor.

Oh yes, and my bios is stored on a flash ram chip on my motherboard. And i've already tried reseting my motherboard via jumper settings, but never did think of the battery. God you guys are smart...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.