Create units Trigger help

G

Ok I hope that you can help me out here.
Here is the trigger.

Player 8
Conditions: 60 game seconds/Player 8 controlls at least 1 Nydus Canal

Actions: Create 4 infested Terran at (location)
Create 12 Zerglings at (location)
Order those units to attack humans (location)
Wait 60000 miliseconds
Preserve Trigger

What this trigger does

About 60 seconds of game time it creates 4 infested and 12 zerglings that rush the humans front door. About 30 seconds later it creates 4 infested....then 30 seconds later creates 4 infested and 12 zerglings. This is wrong.

What I want the trigger to do

I want to humans front door to be hit every 60 game seconds by 12 Zerglings and 4 infested.

Other triggers like this that I need

Also I want similar triggers to go off in this order.

5 minutes (24 Zergling rush)
10 minutes (24 Hydralisk rush with 12 Zerglings)
20 minutes (24 Ultralisk 24 Hydralisk 12 Lurkers 24 Zerglings)
25 minutes (12 Guardians 12 Devourers)

If you can please help. I make alot of my own campaing maps and was hoping to use these triggers as sorta my own little AI script for a computer player that Rushes the humans every time they turn around. Thanks if you can help :)

Joe

C

CmdrTydaeus

I'm not seeing what's wrong with it either... I may be able to offer further help if you send the map to me at [email protected] .

Right now, the only potential problem I'm seeing is the wait. Waits behave rather unpredictably in my experience. It may work better if you introduce a custom timer, by making a trigger which constantly increases player 8's custom by 1. Triggers are evaluated once every (approx) 2 seconds, so when P8's custom is exactly 30 you could have the units created and ordered to attack, and P8's custom set back to 0.

Problems may also arrise if you have too many units (including resources, buildings, and critters) on the map. Starcraft will not create additonal units once you have 1600 total units for all players, and will not display a warning if it encounters this problem.

G

I just made a testing Terrain map. And what you say is right. I noticed that the wait miliseconds was not working right. Very odd. Also me lokking at the replay did exactly 0 for me. Seeing how the replay did not record exactly what happend in the game. You think after a few years it would be fixed. lol
Ok I am going to email the map to you. Thanks for your time.
Joe

C

CmdrTydaeus

Well, replay has only been around for half a year, and waits can be tricky to set up.

btw, please start putting your name into the name blank, so we can tell your posts from posts by other unregistered users.

If you plan to continue using this forum for some time, plz register. It costs nothing, gives no spam that you don't ask for, takes none of your private info that you don't want to give out (and doesn't distribute the private info anyway).

I

Invested Kanly

Registerd

Registerd....thanks for the info....you shoulda have the email soon.

:)

C

CmdrTydaeus

map done

I added a custom clock and rushing triggers to your map overnight (which means I was unable to properly test it, but I do know that it works right for the first rush, and since all the rushes operate on pretty much the same principal, it should work unless I messed it up). Have sent the map to you, should show up soon.

Main problem with the rushing triggers is that you had separate wait triggers for the infested marines and the zerglings. Starcraft will process only one wait at a time. When you post a help request, please state exactly how you have your triggers written, or we may be unable to give valid advice.

I

Invested Kanly

Triggers

The map works great. Thanks for your time and help making it complete. Also thanks for your input.

I have no clue of a few things though.

Can you explain to me how you make a time based trigger like that using customs and such......and switches......I can not undertand how to do it and want to learn for future maps.

Also how did you make the triggers appear small on the player 8 view.....untill you click on them to see the details?

Thanks again. Kanly

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
I don't know what your talking about for "Customs".

Switches are this:

CONDITION
- Player 1 brings 1 men to 'Trap'
- 'Ambush' is cleared
ACTION
- Set 'Ambush'
- Preserve Trigger

CONDITION
- 'Ambush' is set
ACTION
- Create 3 Ultralisks at 'Trap Left'
- Create 3 Ultralisks at 'Trap Right'
- Order all Ultralisks at 'Trap Left' patrol 'Trap Right'
- Order all Ultralisks at 'Trap Right' patrol 'Trap Left'
- Clear 'Ambush'
- Wait 30000 milliseconds
- Preserve Trigger

In other words, you use 1 trigger to "switch on" another trigger. You can use switches again to "switch off" it. There is also a randomize option to randomly select the "switch set (on)" or "switch clear (off)".

As for making the triggers appear small, you use "Comments" under the trigger list. Once you select it, type in a word or sentence to show up instead of all the conditions and actions.

C

CmdrTydaeus

explanation of my timer

The real problem with StarEdit is that it's designed primarily to make standard Starcraft maps, with maybe a few simple triggers. Thus, it keeps track of only certain, combat related variables: stuff like the number and value of units you've killed, built, and lost. The only data doesn't automatically change during a game is the custom score, which must be managed by triggers.

When you need to make a timer that doesn't show to the players, and must loop around, you need some way of keeping track of time. I did that by have custom set +1 continuously, using the fact that triggers repeat only once every approx 2 seconds. Every time custom reaches 30, a minute has passed.

However, you required something to happen at every five minutes, every ten minutes, every twenty minutes, and every thirty-five minutes (the 35 is the real challenge). Now that I've had more time to think about it, I think I know of a better way to do this (involving switches), but what I did was I used the death count for the power-ups. (Starcraft keeps track of how many units of each type any given player has that have died, including power-ups and several other units that players normally don't control or which don't die under normal circumstances)

Every time Player 8's custom score reached 30 (1 min.), I had it get set back to 0 and gave player 8 +1 deaths of Khalis crystal. Every 5 deaths of Khalis crystal (5 min.) I had Khalis deaths set back to 0 and Uraj deaths set to +1. Anyway, I used a bunch of power-up deaths to keep track of the passage of time, basing them off the fact that if custom is increased by 1 every two seconds, 30 custom equals 1 minute.

I also had switches set so that every 5 khalis deaths (5 min.), the switches for infested terran and zergling rushes would be set.

btw, and completely unrelated, if you use Alan Schezar (the goliath hero) you may wish to change his stats back to normal, since I set them to maximum for debugging purposes, and I think I may have forgotten to set them back:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.