Creating alpha channels in GIMP

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a loading screen from a BMP image, and the WC3 Viewer says I can't convert the BMP to a BLP, because it isn't "a 32 bits Bitmap file. Without an alpha channel, the texture cannot be converted."

I have GIMP, so I should be able to fix this. The problem is, the GIMP help files are corrupted every time I download them, so I have no idea how to use GIMP for this particular situation. Does it have something to do with "Dialogs: Channels"? "Colors: Color to Alpha"?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First thing: You need to save it as a .tga
Second: You do not need a alpha channel for a loading screen.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
So you're saying the raw TGA will show up as the loading screen? Because I've tried that, and it's nothing but darkness; no picture at all.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, you need to convert it to .blp first.

EDIT: Have you got LoadingScreen.mdx?

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I've got the MDX, no problem there. As far as converting the TGA to BLP...

...the WC3 Viewer says I can't convert the BMP to a BLP, because it isn't "a 32 bits Bitmap file. Without an alpha channel, the texture cannot be converted."

And I'm afraid that goes for TGA files, too.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
its coz u need to add an alpha layer, which u can just do by opening the 'layers' dialogue box in gimp, right clicking on it and click 'add an alpha layer'. Don't compress it when you save either.

You don't really need to do that for the loading screen tho, because when war3 viewer says 'a 32 bits Bitmap file. Without an alpha channel, the texture cannot be converted." it follows it with something like 'would you like it to add one'. So.... you add one ;D

The alpha layer war3 viewer adds will be fine for the loading screen, but when editing models with teamcolour and transparency you will need to export their skin as a .tga first and then maintain the alpha layer's existence (eg. dont remove it) before you convert it back to .blp

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
its coz u need to add an alpha layer, which u can just do by opening the 'layers' dialogue box in gimp, right clicking on it and click 'add an alpha layer'. Don't compress it when you save either.

You don't really need to do that for the loading screen tho, because when war3 viewer says 'a 32 bits Bitmap file. Without an alpha channel, the texture cannot be converted." it follows it with something like 'would you like it to add one'. So.... you add one ;D

I just tried adding one in the WC3 Viewer like you suggested, but I'm afraid it only gives you the option of an "opaque" alpha channel...which just shows up blue in the Viewer, and black in the actual game. I'm getting the same problem with Gimp's "layers" dialog, no matter what I set the opacity to. 0% or 100%, it doesn't seem to matter.

Um...all right, here's what I've been doing:

1. File: Open Recent: picture.bmp
2. Dialogs: Layers: Add Alpha Channel (via right click)
3. (mess with opacity slider, not that it seems to do any good...)
4. Layer: Merge Down (though I've tried saving without merging, and it has the exact same effect)
5. File: Save As: picture2.bmp

And that's it. I don't click on the little eyeball in the Layers Dialog, or the little chain, or the "lock" button.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Something tells me he doesn't have Photoshop, otherwise he would be using that instead of gimp, no? :thup:

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
Do you mean when converting from an original JPEG? Because I've tried converting my original BMP to a JPEG, and then converting that to a BLP, and it doesn't work any better than anything else.

actually jpeg to blp works, bmp does not lose enough quality in the blp/jpeg transformation

it should ask you if you want to add an alpha channel

MurderMode

Reaction score
ok well do this -

extract a loading screen .blp from the .mpq again, this time converting it to .tga first. Open it in gimp, open your edited loading screen in gimp, copy your edited screen then paste it over the original loading screen and anchor it down. Save it without rle compression and then convert it back to .blp

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Sorry for disappearing for so long. I was trying to fix other things in the same map.

Ghostwind, you get a rep cookie for your deductive prowess.

Insane, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Because it sounds like you're saying I should take the original BMP, use GIMP to save it as a JPG, and then use the Viewer to change that JPG into a BLP. But I've already tried that, and it just goes opaque like the rest of my attempts.

MurderMode: what MPQ am I supposed to be extracting a BLP from? I've got more BMPs and BLPs and JPGs than I can keep track of, and I think there's a TGA banging around somewhere, but this is the first time anybody's mentioned an MPQ.

MurderMode

Reaction score
the .mpq is the file where all warcraft 3 info is stored including textures, models, etc. If you don't have a program to view the .mpq yet, download one from www.hiveworkshop.com 's tools section.

You can find loading screen backgrounds in the mpq's subfolder UI\Glues\Loading\Backgrounds\Campaigns....

If you just extract the blp from the .mpq, convert it to .tga and paste your picture over the top and merge it down, then convert it back to .blp it should work fine.

EDIT: actually the war3 loading screens have been disected, probably will make it too hard for you to do it that way. What size is your image? I'm actually confused to why you are having so much difficulty with it, maybe u should just attach the image so someone can do it for you

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I suppose, though I feel like a jerk for asking. If it works out for you without the alpha channel going opaque or whatever, please let me know how you did it; I'd prefer to make the loading screen for my next map without a 10+ post thread. :(

Attachments

• nearstar.bmp
    396.1 KB · Views: 256
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.