Creating One Region to Spawn rather than Multiple?

Mr.Tutorial

Hard in the Paint.
Reaction score
I don't know how I'm going to explain this, but... (Note: This is for a maze/escape map)

Let's pretend you have one "Big" region, rather than a bunch of little regions. Is it possible to create multiple units in a line, and order those units to move straight to a location. I would way rather create 2 regions, one for the spawn and one for the remove than create 10 regions for that!​

So pretty much I'm just wondering if there is some sort of shortcut rather than creating multiple regions and spawning units to move to a location.​

Hope you understand. Thanks.

Wardonis

Cool Member
Reaction score
You will only need 1 region for the removal but if you don't want to use 9 more to spawn 9 units in a line i'd say you have 3 options.

option 1 take the multiple spawn commands and put the [order last spawned unit to move] and some [waits] between each spawn. by doing this they wouldn't spawn all at the same time but would act a bit more like a stream of units were leaving a building each spawning getting orders and taking off and the next spawning in its place. with short wait times it would create a strait unbroken line

option 2 create a large region stretched into a longish thin line. and use spawn at random point within region. if you have it sized properly they should spawn in filling up the entire region and simulating a line of units, you could then [pick units in unit group] and [order picked to move to region]. this one would have a chance to create a broke line but if you make the line shorter than required and have terrain on either side that could corral them into a strait line as they spawn in you should be ok.

option 3 is to use 1 region and have the units spawn in at region with offset. say X is the region, unit 1 spawns on X, unit 2 spawns in at region X with 5/0 offset, unit 3 spawns in at region X with 10/0 offset etc. this may be your best option but honestly I don't remember if you can offset a region location, i know you can offset a point from a unit so i'd imagine a point from a region would make sense to me.

Mr.Tutorial

Hard in the Paint.
Reaction score
You will only need 1 region for the removal but if you don't want to use 9 more to spawn 9 units in a line i'd say you have 3 options.

option 1 take the multiple spawn commands and put the [order last spawned unit to move] and some [waits] between each spawn. by doing this they wouldn't spawn all at the same time but would act a bit more like a stream of units were leaving a building each spawning getting orders and taking off and the next spawning in its place. with short wait times it would create a strait unbroken line

option 2 create a large region stretched into a longish thin line. and use spawn at random point within region. if you have it sized properly they should spawn in filling up the entire region and simulating a line of units, you could then [pick units in unit group] and [order picked to move to region]. this one would have a chance to create a broke line but if you make the line shorter than required and have terrain on either side that could corral them into a strait line as they spawn in you should be ok.

option 3 is to use 1 region and have the units spawn in at region with offset. say X is the region, unit 1 spawns on X, unit 2 spawns in at region X with 5/0 offset, unit 3 spawns in at region X with 10/0 offset etc. this may be your best option but honestly I don't remember if you can offset a region location, i know you can offset a point from a unit so i'd imagine a point from a region would make sense to me.

Not sure I understand correctly, but...

The issue I run into is not just spawning the units in a line, but ordering the units to move to their own location as if I had a region set for each unit.

I'm just rusty with the editor :p it's been awhile.

Wardonis

Cool Member
Reaction score
Ah, setting a region for each destination is best. but really you can use anything as a marked point. units/destructibles/regions/items etc. You could make a really large reason and set the destination to be random point within region, but then it'd be a random point.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I haven't used the editor in years so I might be making shit up here, but I would assume that you could write a trigger and tell the units to move to a global coordinate, rather than use rects at all. But all in all the easiest way would be use rects just because it simplifies things; I know it's redundant to make like fifty of them but that's game design, bro. Pathing is the most boring work....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.