Debug

Reaction score
I've always wondered what is the purpose of those weird Debug triggers in every Blizzard campaign map.
The average Warcraft player will not know about them and will never use them. Even if he knows about them, he can't use them because they are disabled.
Which makes me think that they are made for the developers. But why on earth would the developers need such functions, since bugs never occur in their maps (at least I've never heard of such). And if these triggers were useful only in the process of creating the map, why didn't they delete them before the final release of Warcraft?
They take negligible space and are not a problem at all, but I've always thought that Blizzard did every single thing with a purpose and I'm just curious.

Attachments

• debug.JPG
    debug.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 90

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's so they can trigger off all the triggers just by typing in something, "debug" doesn't actually mean it's fixing any bugs it's just making sure the trigger runs smooth, and if there are any bugs, they fix them.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
They where triggers made by blizzard to check if an event will work, instead of waiting like 1 hour to check if it will run by a timer or something. It's like using greedisgood 99999~ to get gold but they use a trigger instead to test their triggers.

Reaction score
But they're disabled. You can run a trigger ingame if it is turned off but you can't run it if it is disabled.
And this is a final product we're talking about. Since no one needs these triggers they should be removed after the testing phase is complete :)

If they wanted to have a decent debugger they should leave the triggers enabled and inform the player in some way-a message or a quest with explanation what to type if a problem occurs.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
>But they're disabled.'
Ofc.

>If they wanted to have a decent debugger they should leave the triggers enabled and inform the player in some way-a message
Your opinion, my opinion? No, they should disable it, without deleting it.
Now why? So we can learn. How can we learn something by this? You dont see it? Well, simply, the method on how to test another trigger, if it works or not, instead of playing the first 10 minutes of the game, until you are able to run the trigger you wanted to test, you simply do this, at the start of game.
Cheerio

Edit; it is the same way you create maps, isnt it? You got some triggers disabled, which is useless cause they were for an older version or so, and you will never use them again, but still, you do not delete them. At least, thats how I am "working" :)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I guess they never though anyone would go into the MPQ and find out :p

but at least it's evidence they used such triggers to find bugs and correct them.

Choppa

www.warcraft-gamers.po.gs
Reaction score
But they're disabled. You can run a trigger ingame if it is turned off but you can't run it if it is disabled.
And this is a final product we're talking about. Since no one needs these triggers they should be removed after the testing phase is complete :)

If they wanted to have a decent debugger they should leave the triggers enabled and inform the player in some way-a message or a quest with explanation what to type if a problem occurs.

They are disabled because they don't need to use them anymore, they leave them in their so they know if they've got it in, and for us, other map makers, so we can learn off the way they make maps.

And typing in those words doesn't fix the error, they use those triggers to run other triggers to see if that trigger is working.

Reaction score
That seems like the only logical explanation indeed.

I do delete triggers I no longer need (simply because the Delete button is easier to press than clicking to disable the trigger:D).
I am not a fan of map protection and I don't do it but the primary purpose of a map is being played, not being dissected.
And if someone looks into the code and finds something useful, all the better!
When I want to teach someone something I create a small demo map, right to the point and with nothing extra.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.