Detect Pathing for camera zooming Possible?

Tooblet

Reaction score
Heya, I'm pretty new at jass, but I'm toying around with AceHearts Third Person Camera system and was planning on making it so it detects unwalkable pathing.

What I want is for the camera to auto-zoom in when the camera is "over" a piece of unwalkable pathing.
I'm not really sure on how to solve this problem and I bet it requires a bit of math. but anyways...

I've been trying to add some sort of location to where the current distance to target for my camera is, and then reducing it.
But I never get it to work and my brain is melting trying to do this :p
I've seen systems changing Angle of attack when the unit is near a cliff or a high hill.
That's sort of what I'm looking for, exept I want it to zoom in and detect if terrain is walkable in some way.
So I can make buildings u can walk inside of and when nearing a wall and turn so the units back is against the wall, the camera will zoom in,
so u cant see throught the wall. :)

I guess it may be too complicated at my stage of Jassing, but I find I learn best when taking really BIG challenges early on. makes me learn more than one thing at a time.

So, anyone has a solution or any idéa if this is possible and if so, how?

I thank in advance

EDIT: I found a way to detect pathing in SOME way in a knockback system.
But I wouldn't know how to apply that to a camera.

Tooblet

Reaction score
yeah I tried that, but it only detects Z offset for cliff heights and such.
and also changes the Angle of Attack.

I want it to detect if there is unwalkable pathing and zoom in if detected.

whatever, I'll figure it out as I learn more jass :)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Well, you can use native IsTerrainPathable to find out if terrain has some spesific pathingtype. ( this is usefull when you try to check if some point is in water or not )

Then again, if you need to know if some unit can walk to some point, you can use IsTerrainWalkable -library by Anitarf.
It detets cliffs and doodads and other types that can limit your units movement, expect other units.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
well, the actual point your camera would be at to check for pathability would be...

cos(Angle of Attack) = Unknown X/Distance To Target
so if your camera angle is 5 degrees upward, and the distance to target is 500:

cos(5) = x/500
x = 500 * cos(5)
x = 498

less obvious example would be:

cos(35) = x/250
x = 250 * cos(35)
x = 204

Then again, I might be off on my whole calculation so someone feel free to correct me but I think this should find the exact distance behind the unit where you should check for pathability or at least check within that distance for pathability. An example would be a for loop checking every say 8 distance so you would have a 25 count loop checking the second example and if that point was not pathable, then set the distance to target to that value.

Tooblet

Reaction score
thanks for replies,
That was what I was looking for.
although I don't really understand the calculation 100%, I understand what I need in order to achieve this thing.

I'll go and try some things out trying to solve this thing, If I do, I'll post it somewhere.
If I don't, I'll start whining here again :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.