Devour Ability - Doesn't always capture?

CYBER_Aeon

Reaction score
I've created a special tower for my project, that has the ability to capture enemies at a decent range. I've given it a modified Devour Cargo and Devour ability. I've always added some special effects to the ability, and increased the range.

Here's where it gets weird. When I cast 'Devour' on a target, it doesn't always capture the unit! The animations play - which are clearly being triggered by the ability - yet the target isn't captured. It seems to be unable to touch any unit that's in the middle of an attack, but I can't tell for sure.

Does anybody have any ideas why Devour won't always devour? Or did I just set something wrong here?

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've created a special tower for my project, that has the ability to capture enemies at a decent range. I've given it a modified Devour Cargo and Devour ability. I've always added some special effects to the ability, and increased the range.

Here's where it gets weird. When I cast 'Devour' on a target, it doesn't always capture the unit! The animations play - which are clearly being triggered by the ability - yet the target isn't captured. It seems to be unable to touch any unit that's in the middle of an attack, but I can't tell for sure.

Does anybody have any ideas why Devour won't always devour? Or did I just set something wrong here?

as strange as this sounds, Devour can miss. if the Target unit is moving away while you are casting it can miss. It will show animation and effect but the spell will not really happen. i don't know how to fix it since i never really used devour. but maybe you could trigger the spell so it wouldnt miss, i have an idea or two if you need

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
(not sure if this would work, no specific knowledge of spell) could you increase the range?

F

firelobster

Your problem has a fairly easy solution. Open up the object editor. Go to your Devour Cargo, and go to Stats - Cast Range. Change this to the max possible. If you know what a buffer range is, this acts as one to prevent the "missing" that an above poster had described.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
umm, if you changed it to 9999999(or w/e max possible is) you could devour across the map. I dont think thats the right range.

btw, nice name

F

firelobster

Yes it is, it's the buffer range. Buffer range requires you to first come in range of the unit, but after the ability is finished casting, the range then becomes indefinite, allowing you to use it across the map, AFTER the ability has already come into effect.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
I don't think there's a field that allows you to change this "buffer range" though. It might be unique to Devour, I haven't checked it out. So I won't speak more on this.

An idea would be to pause the target unit when your tower begins casting devour.

CYBER_Aeon

Reaction score
+Rep to firelobster. He was right. I had to change the Cast Range on the CARGO Ability, not just the Devour Ability. I didn't realize the Cargo's Cast Range was important. (Didn't seem like it would be)

Works perfectly now. Kudos to everyone for the help. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.