Sci/Tech Do vegetables really exist?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Name a vegetable. It’s easy right? Sweet potatoes and carrots are vegetables, obviously. Onions perhaps? But what about lettuce, for example?

And we have all met those who insist that a tomato is a fruit. Then there are others who argue that because it’s not sweet in the same way as an apple or a pear, a tomato is more properly categorised as a vegetable.

To get some clarity, we asked the audience of BBC Earth for some help.

“You're BBC! Why are you asking us if this is a vegetable?” wondered Kimberly A. Brooks. “Is that the best you can do? Disappointed.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The only part of this that was very interesting was: There were multiple legal cases through the world in which courts defined if a tomato is a fruit or not? I wish I could facepalm the hand palming my face.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yeah, I had no idea that there was any sort of legal precedent to determining whether or not tomatoes are a fruit or vegetable. Also interesting is that a wealthy family in the late 19th century couldn't get their way with tomato classification even with both money and a halfway reasonable argument behind their claim.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.