Dos Games under Windows 2000

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
How would I go about playing a DOS game under Windows 2000 ? I figured doing a DOS boot disk should do it but I found no options to do so in Windows 2000. I also need to be sure sound will be available.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
No pure dos mode in win2000 anymore. If it won't run in the window it will not work - when they jumped to 2000 they abandoned old Dos support. You can tweak the crap out of dos mode though with custom startup files and everything I think but i might be totally hallucinating :)

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
yes you could use a DOS boot disk made on Windows9x machine

if your drive is formatted NTFS, you won't have access to it this way though

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
My drive is NTFS, although I did hear about an unofficial DOS which does support NTFS. I just need to make sure my sound will be emulated...

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
why not just make another partition (FAT) and install Win9x on it... dual boot

If you don't want to deal with the details of dual-booting, just do what I do with Linux-- get a second hard drive and also set is as master (just like your current one)-- but only provide power to the one you want to use. It also helps you practice taking the case off your computer :)
many computer stores sell cheap used hard drives (2gigs or so)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
None of my computers have cases on them. I don't think I even have the cases anymore :)

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some cases are designed to direct the airflow so taking the case off is not necessarily better for cooling

my cheap-o case probably doesn't matter but some of these really small and nifty corporate workstations must do this -- they are smaller than my VCR

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Buying another hard-disk is out of the question. I'm already having a hard time getting a decent video card. I do have older hard-disks lying around though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.