DotA allstars system?

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
ok ive got it, thank you all guys
and lets just think that this thread is closed...

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Open Dota won't show you the real triggers... It was just optimized triggers, maybe using some utilities making it optimized and hide some details a bit.. Just my opinion..

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
dota uses something like cscache

both Hulks Heroes and AoD are out open source if you want them

and what do you mean by out dated??? rofl

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
People...people...
We still don't support unprotecting/unprotected maps here.

Why would you want to know what system DotA uses? Who knows, who cares?
Just make sure you get a good system for your map. Personally I recommend structs with CSCache's CSData, but dunno, do whatever you think is best.
There is no real way to find out anyway...most likely it's either a modified or a new system based on H2I (and perhaps CSCache).

Reaction score
So not even the template is allowed to be showed here? Sorry, about that, because I didn't really know about that one xD

vile

Reaction score
Lol, old fashion jass? Where the hell did you hear that from?

You didn't even see the source code, so what makes you think it has a "primitive" jassing method? I hate it when people make assumptions based on.. well, nothing.

AoM's code used to be simple GUI back on 1.42*, and on the 3 series I used jass and local handle vars which was proven to be very buggy considering timers and triggers being suddenly freezed in the middle.

The latest 4.* (http://ageofmyths.org) takes advantages of the new vJass and uses global variables instead of handle vars. However, I managed to get rid of the triggeraction leaks thanks to vJass, since I can now declare global triggeractions. It's much more convenient.

Just because it uses globals it doesnt mean its old fashioned, its just because I prefer to avoid handle vars. Actually, you should be impressed with these types of spells actually being made with globals, since it's much harder to do then with handle vars. I used globals to avoid bugs, not because I dont know handle vars.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> template
Uh...what? Which one?
Ryoko and AceHart's template is made mostly in GUI. No H2I there.
What you posted was from OpenDota, I recognize the "DTAX" in the functions.

substance

Reaction score
and what do you mean by out dated??? rofl

Well last time I looked at HH it used tables and I dont think vJass was even out so it probably didnt use any of those methods either.

I'm not saying your maps are outdated in a bad way, I'm just saying vJass and other new stuff has come out since their release so it's not possible for it to be completely up to date. Last time I checked out your AoD post on here I didnt see the source so I didnt even know It was available, I'll check it out =p.

Why would you want to know what system DotA uses? Who knows, who cares?

That's how I feel.

Personally I recommend structs with CSCache's CSData, but dunno, do whatever you think is best.

I like grim's method, it's really small and simple. The CS can be a bit overwelming at first, especially for someone new.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
all my maps are available open source for those who ask, however I am not going to go flaunting it about for anyone and their mother to look at

i dont think tables, etc. makes anything outdated...would you consider dota outdated?

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
emilj3r said:
i dont think tables, etc. makes anything outdated...would you consider dota outdated?
Don't bother, everybody is just hyped because of vJass. It'll blow over when somebody invents a better and faster system. It makes me remember the good old days, where you simply edited without a care in the world.

substance

Reaction score
I'm not saying tables or even handle vars is useless.

I'm simply saying that if someone is new to JASS then why would they use these 'older' methods over the newer (more optimized) ones?

Tom Jones said:
It'll blow over when somebody invents a better and faster system.

can't wait!

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I like grim's method, it's really small and simple. The CS can be a bit overwelming at first
You are aware though that grim's method is based on CSData and they're essentially the same thing?

> would you consider dota outdated?
Well the map itself and it's concept can never get old really.
Though, yeah, the code is outdated if it uses the game cache.

In the end it all comes to the system you consider easiest to use. vJass is good for the people who already have experience with OOP syntax. Nobody's really saying a map sucks without it.

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
> I like grim's method, it's really small and simple. The CS can be a bit overwelming at first
You are aware though that grim's method is based on CSData and they're essentially the same thing?
what a coincedence, a system you dont want to learn is avoided, and try to learn an easy way, but you are already learning the one you avoided last time

Hulk Heroes and Aeon of Dominion
ill DL it first before asking for an open one...

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Don't bother, everybody is just hyped because of vJass. It'll blow over when somebody invents a better and faster system. It makes me remember the good old days, where you simply edited without a care in the world.

I'm not actually sure it's possible to create a more effective concept system. I mean, structs are global systems using an index generator. The ability to do that has been around for a long time, and a similar system is actually used in WEU for their sliding triggers, but until structs came out it was a pain in the face to set the systems up.

My point being, the method of transfering data through global variables is about as efficient as you can get on wc3.

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
So what for would you need a system beyond vJass and structs? Is it only for speed and ease of use? Or better - what can't you do now in map coding, that you could be able to do with a better system. These seem like interesting enough questions. :)

And about dota - get yourself an MPQed. and open it. It actually does have that oh-so-famous H2I function, but I has exactly 3 occurences beyond its declaration. Actually I don't think it even uses Handle Vars(as far as I looked).

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
DotA uses a gamecache system, not structs.

It's system just uses the handle pointer as a string used to call stuff from the gamecache rather than the handle itself, effectively reducing the total H2I calls you make, which is a good thing.

Unfortuanately, it's still a gamecache, which is still slow as hell.

Here is the system, as taken from dota allstars 6.43b map file:
Code:
function Eh takes handle h returns integer
return h
return 0
endfunction
function EH takes nothing returns nothing
call FlushGameCache(InitGameCache("DotACache.x"))
set AG=InitGameCache("DotACache.x")
endfunction
function Ei takes handle h returns string
return I2S(Eh(h))
endfunction
function EI takes string Ej returns nothing
call FlushStoredMission(AG,Ej)
endfunction
function EJ takes string Ej,string Ek,handle EK returns nothing
call StoreInteger(AG,Ej,Ek,Eh(EK))
endfunction
function El takes string Ej,string Ek,integer EL returns nothing
call StoreInteger(AG,Ej,Ek,EL)
endfunction
function Em takes string Ej,string Ek,real EL returns nothing
call StoreReal(AG,Ej,Ek,EL)
endfunction
function En takes string Ej,string Ek,string EL returns nothing
call StoreString(AG,Ej,Ek,EL)
endfunction
function EN takes string Ej,string Ek,boolean EL returns nothing
call StoreBoolean(AG,Ej,Ek,EL)
endfunction
function Eo takes string Ej,string Ek returns unit
return GetStoredInteger(AG,Ej,Ek)
return null
endfunction
function EO takes string Ej,string Ek returns player
return null
endfunction
function Ep takes string Ej,string Ek returns timer
return null
endfunction
function EP takes string Ej,string Ek returns trigger
return null
endfunction
function Eq takes string Ej,string Ek returns group
return null
endfunction
function EQ takes string Ej,string Ek returns effect
return null
endfunction
function Er takes string Ej,string Ek returns lightning
return null
endfunction
function ER takes string Ej,string Ek returns location
return null
endfunction
function Es takes string Ej,string Ek returns triggeraction
return null
endfunction
function ES takes string Ej,string Ek returns item
return null
endfunction
function Et takes string Ej,string Ek returns integer
endfunction
function ET takes string Ej,string Ek returns real
return GetStoredReal(AG,Ej,Ek)
endfunction
function Eu takes string Ej,string Ek returns boolean
return GetStoredBoolean(AG,Ej,Ek)
endfunction
function EU takes string Ej,string Ek returns string
return GetStoredString(AG,Ej,Ek)
endfunction

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
hey how did u get that?
is that all they used?
pretty short
Short? It's a perfectly normal length for a post-vexorians-optimizer handle system.

How did I get it? It's not like a map's j file is secret to anyone.

Reaction score
>Uh...what? Which one?
Ryoko and AceHart's template is made mostly in GUI. No H2I there.
What you posted was from OpenDota, I recognize the "DTAX" in the functions.
Oh :eek:.. Then I must have got something totally different. Sorry about that, because I really thought that it was the template I had.. Well it's not a miracle cause I got it from Demi666..

>DTAX
What's that thingy thing?

Also I don't think that Dota's Jass is much different than the Jass you see around here every day..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.