Dual monitor help

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Edit: I got it working fine after roll-backing my PC to a week before.

Ok, because I've fiddled quite a bit and I'm giving you all the details I've split this post into two sections. One tells you exactly everything that I've done and the other is a summary of my problem.

Detailed:

I recently got a new monitor (LG W2261VP - Widescreen Full HD 21.5 inch) and decided to connect BOTH my monitors to the PC, old and new. My old monitor is an Acer AL1717.

So I looked at a couple forums to get me started, switched off the PC, connected the new monitor via an HDMI - HDMI connection and the old monitor using the same old VGA - VGA connection.

My graphics card is an Nvidia GEForce 9500 GT. It has 3 inputs (VGA, HDMI and DVI)

Hooked all the monitors up, and started up the PC. It worked fine. Went to the settings and set my new monitor to the right of the old one along with making it the main monitor.

I also got 2 programs to help me use my dual monitor setup. I got UltraMon and DisplayFusion (Now that I think about it, UltraMon does what DisplayFusion does and more, but at the time I didn't know that).

Note: Ultramon only has a beta version for Vista, which is what I'm running.

Still works fine, with a few glitches however now. Whenever I left the computer for a long period of time, it would enter low power mode. When I got back to it, a few things could happen:

1) The new monitor wouldn't wake up out of sleep mode: I solved this issue by going to display settings using the old monitor and setting the "main monitor" to the old monitor and then back to the new monitor. This woke it up.

2) The old monitor's display would become monochrome, grayscale, have no colour, etc. Nothing I did would revert it back to coloured status except for restarting the entire PC.

Recently, I came back to shake my monitors out of sleep to find BOTH my monitors grayscale. I restarted the PC, only to find that nothing changed. Both were still grayscale.

Now what I did becomes a little wierd. I fiddled around with deleting some random processes using the task manager and an error popped up when I tried ending the UltraMon task. I finally did quit ultramon and restarted the PC. Upon restarting, the old monitor now has colour, but the new main monitor still doesn't.

And that's my problem. No matter what I seem to do, my new monitor retains it's monochromeness.

A few things you should know:
1) When I click the menu buttons on the monitor, THAT has colour. It's just the desktop / startbars / explorer.exe/ any application I run that's grayscale.

2) When starting it up in safe mode, my monitor has colour.

3) Upto logging in, it shows colour (the log in screen has colour). When logging in it shows colour for a little while before reverting to grayscale.

4) I tried shutting down all extra startup processes that I think might have induced the grayscale, but that didn't make a difference.

Summary:

I have two monitors. One of them keeps shifting to monochrome (no colour) when I log in after starting up and I have no idea how to fix it. The second, older monitor still retains colour.

My specs:

Vista Ultimate 32 bit
Nvidia GEForce 9500 GT - 1 GB dedicated VRAM
2 GB RAM

Monitors:
LG Flatron W2261VP - New
Acer AL1717 - Old

Thanks.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
It seems like an issue with your graphics card. Download the newest drivers fron Nvidia and uninstall the old drivers first. Try letting the computer sleep with only one monitor plugged in and see what happens. If none if these work, if possible try to test the graphics card in a different computer and see if the problem still occurs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.